Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

EAGLE-1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
I don't think I seen anyone try installing rehius fw on Chinese hwfly rp2040 boards. As far as I understand, these models are using completely different closed-off firmware than the one posted in this thread. We do have guides for the non-hwfly boards, which what the rehius firmware in this thread is specifically written for, not hwfly boards.

https://gbatemp.net/download/a-definitive-picofly-install-guide.37968/

View attachment 372558
ohhh so,this chips are not rp2040?? but they say in the boads,and supliers say they use the same picofly firmware
Post automatically merged:

See that square black chip in the middle of the board? It's an RP2040 System On a Chip. The diagram I sent you is a pinout of the pins coming off that chip.
yes i see the diagram you send me in the another post,hope can test the traces and also use the diagram,BUT then,they are or not picofly rp2040??

Last edited by EAGLE-1,

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ohhh so,this chips are not rp2040?? but they say in the boads,and supliers say they use the same picofly firmware
Post automatically merged:

yes i see the diagram you send me in the another post,hope can test the traces and also use the diagram,BUT then,they are or not picofly rp2040??
PicoFly is the Firmware, RP2040 is the actual Chip (you could order the chip by itself and make your own board)

Reactions: EAGLE-1

EAGLE-1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
PicoFly is the Firmware, RP2040 is the actual Chip (you could order the chip by itself and make your own board)
Now if I'm totally lost, then which chip do I have? they say very clearly rp2040, but they also say hwfly, so? What can I do to know exactly how it should be installed and updated? The problem is that I don't want to install another one in an OLED without first updating the chip to the latest version. to try the tracks that you told me before but I don't think they all come with damage to the tracks, although well anything can happen, really a million thanks for the help, I don't know what to do, I have a brand new oled that died because of this chip

NOTE:Is there a way to test these chips with multimeters or other tools to see if they are safe to use?

Reactions: guillel90

H3xxCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My concern is "PicoFly firmware" could be referring to completely different firmwares, there's one we know existed since January. Another one is the one we currently using, released by rehius in March.

EAGLE-1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Why not ask your supplier?
they say :the chips exactly the same as an rp2040, only a board is used to use the flex and the correct capacitors to make more plug and play so to speak, so the provider says that it is exactly the same as the hwfly installation, it is even the same factory, what he has not been able to tell me because I cannot update them

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Try using Picotool and try saving the firmware of the chip. Then you can probably check with a hex edit if you see if it matches like the 2.5 or newer firmware.

Reactions: LogicalMadness

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try using Picotool and try saving the firmware of the chip. Then you can probably check with a hex edit if you see if it matches like the 2.5 or newer firmware.
His current issue is that he cannot get his computer to recognize the RP2040 over USB at all.

More confusion for you "picotool" is a computer utility to dump firmware from rp2040's.

Picofly_toolbox is a tool that is run from Hekate on the Nintendo Switch after you have completed a successful hack.

EAGLE-1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
His current issue is that he cannot get his computer to recognize the RP2040 over USB at all.

More confusion for you "picotool" is a computer utility to dump firmware from rp2040's.

Picofly_toolbox is a tool that is run from Hekate on the Nintendo Switch after you have completed a successful hack.
i see,but i dont have the skills for use that picotool,i need can update then via usb BEFORE, install,and thats right,for use tolbox the chip must be installed,thats the problem,i need update then before install in the switch,just like my old chips,the chip in the picture works perfect,never have any single problem,they conect to pc perfect without problems,but suplier say factory is no make then anymore,now they fabric the hwflyrp2040 instead

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-05-17 at 10.50.22 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-17 at 10.50.22 PM.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 29

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i see,but i dont have the skills for use that picotool,i need can iupdate via usb BEFORE, install,and thats right,for use tolbox the chip must be installed,thats the problem,i need update then before install in the switch,just my old chips,the chip in the picture works perfect,never have any single problem,they conect to pc perfect without problems,but suplier say factory is no make then anymore,now they fabric the hwflyrp2040 instead
Sorry, but it sounds like your supplier is giving you the shaft by thrusting you into a situation you know very little about, without the skills to figure a lot of this "unknown information" out for us to be able to help you.

The unfortunate reality, is that those particular "HWFLY RP2040" boards have not become available largely in the US, even through Ali express. Many of the modders here are based between North America and Europe, and some in Europe have gotten hold of these chips, and here you are in Nicaragua with some.

With a little more troubleshooting knowledge, I feel like we could get you there, but I fear your supplier has left you in this, up to your neck.

Makc16384

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am trying to upgrade from firmware 2.67 via toolbox. I get a message about a successful firmware, I reboot the switch and it is loaded into OFW. I reboot again and normally boot into hekate. but in
toolbox i have old version 2.67 displayed.
FW hash 0x8A9C94A8.
Does this mean that the firmware has failed and I should only flash the rp2040 via USB? I used the latest update.bin from github.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I am trying to upgrade from firmware 2.67 via toolbox. I get a message about a successful firmware, I reboot the switch and it is loaded into OFW. I reboot again and normally boot into hekate. but in
FW hash 0x8A9C94A8.
Does this mean that the firmware has failed and I should only flash the rp2040 via USB? I used the latest update.bin from github.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/picofly-a-hwfly-switch-modchip.622701/page-78#post-10090767

H3xxCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having some hard time understanding how
FW hash 0x8A9C94A8.
Deleted the builds, I guess people kept missing the big warning symbols not to use it....

ThiagoDaruma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think I managed to make the mosfets, is there any way to test with the multimeter? I did the diode test, with the mosfet without the wires and with the wires, the red wire, continuity with the green one? is correct ?

Imagem do WhatsApp de 2023-05-20 à(s) 00.02.34.jpgImagem do WhatsApp de 2023-05-19 à(s) 23.52.43.jpg

Reactions: Danook28

H3xxCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ThiagoDaruma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Honestly, I would not trust it, I see some cold solder joints and also too much solder.
This is definitely one of the hardest welds I've tried to make. and I don't have a 0.2mm cable to make it, only 0.1mm and this one is 30awg.
what is the problem of doing only 1 mosfet?

EAGLE-1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Sorry, but it sounds like your supplier is giving you the shaft by thrusting you into a situation you know very little about, without the skills to figure a lot of this "unknown information" out for us to be able to help you.

The unfortunate reality, is that those particular "HWFLY RP2040" boards have not become available largely in the US, even through Ali express. Many of the modders here are based between North America and Europe, and some in Europe have gotten hold of these chips, and here you are in Nicaragua with some.

With a little more troubleshooting knowledge, I feel like we could get you there, but I fear your supplier has left you in this, up to your neck.
Really, thank you very much for all the help, I hope these chips are more commercial ( I'm from Costa Rica by the way), here is a post with a guy who has the same one, he installed it and he had no problem, but we only installed one in the OLED and it was dead and we don't know if Is it a problem with the chips or something else happened... I'm really grateful, I'll be looking out for the forums, if you get any information from other members or moderators I would really appreciate it, I've been reading and watching videos day and night for 3 days without any Advance :-(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond...