Hacking People Charging for Softmods (Wiigator V0.1)

Outsider506

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got a guy in my city that had an ad on Kijiji saying that he mods Wiis (I'm betting some people already know where this is going). So anyways, I know a person that went to him and they called me from there before he did anything because he told her that it was a "soft mod" and that she would have to patch any games she backedup to use on her Wii. I asked to talk to the guy and he told me he was installing "Wiigator V0.1". I told her to get the hell out of there. This was on the weekend. After further investigating this is what I found out.

1-This guy was installing Backup Loader V0.1
2-He was not telling anyone that it was only a Beta and that some games didn't work, with no mention that there are more updates coming.
3-He is charging people $50 to do this for them.

So when she got to my place I explained exactly what the guy was going to install on her Wii and that it was just a beta, and that if she still wanted it I would just do it for free. Long story short, V0.3 is on her system and all the backups she's tried are NOT patched and working. I couldn't believe he was charging $50 for that, I have a modchip in my Wii that the guy that did it didn't even charge me half of that.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What an idiot...

That's like worse than someone asking someone to burn them a copy of a game and send it to them, and charging $30 to do it.

What B.S.

GhostSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screemer said:
i hope those guys get screwed like the psp modders on craigslist.
well, modding a PSP isn't easy on your own these days.

Anyways, what a scam. It probably wouldn't be as bad if it was like, maybe 1-5 dollars, but 50? Wow

Moon_child

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Report him to the police.
wink.gif

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people are too stupid or lazy to figure out how to do things themselves and would gladly pay someone else to do it. And there's nothing wrong with charging someone for a service. I mean, it takes time and patience and a lot of work to get things working properly, and it takes an extensive amount of knowledge and tools on hand as well. If you don't want to get paid for the time you took, that's fine. But if someone is willing to pay for a service, let them pay.

When I was modding xbox's, tons and tons of people would go through me. All I had to do was open the box, solder two points together, and tsop flash using a Splinter Cell disk, a usb to xbox adapter and a xfat formatted usb drive. But hell, first off, it took me a long time to figure out how to do everything and get the method down, gathering all the tools and software, and learning the differences between different versions of xboxes. And secondly, any time anyone asked (and they always did), "How'd you learn to do all this?" I'd tell them: the internet, using google, and a lot of patience. Often I'd offer to show people how I was doing things, and most every time, each customer declined. They don't care about how easy or hard it was, they brought money so when they left they got what they came for, and didn't have to lift a finger.

People pay for a mechanic to replace all kinds of parts for vehicles, when they could easily do it themselves. They do it because they either don't have the time, skill, tools, knowledge, patience, or will to learn. Don't call people idiots for offering, or paying for services that you think are so easy, because to a lot of people it's worth it.

20clarky08

Official Wii Freak
Trophies
Website
20clarky08.googlepages.com
XP
Country
i agree with you tomobobo

i've softmodded many a xbox1 for a small fee (£20)

all i did was use the savegame exploit and installed XBMC Pimped

but as Tomobobo says...the time i spent online learning and gathering both a purpose copy of the game and the usb adapter.

Knowledge is power and in this case £££

Where i live theres a guy charging £100 to fit a drive chip FFS...if i was to offer Wiigator 0.3 installed as a nice easy channel for say £20 theres alot of people would be willing to pay it.

Photokon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with tomobobo also. Some people don't have the time to find out all this information and are willing to pay $50 to get this kind of mod. It's a SERVICE. Maybe the only thing wrong would be that it is hard to get a customer to upgrade the program and stuff.

Outsider506

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree with tomobobo too... except with this guy... if he's going to charge $50, he should be informing the people that are his "customers" of what's what.

GhostSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are people really stupid enough to pay 50 bucks just for someone to copy a couple files? Well, that's their loss then, I guess.

dajavax

Trophies
Website
www.dajavax.tk
XP
Country
Mexico
50 dollars is maybe a lot... but yeah as some have said... people pay so you do what they don't want to... i did this some times with iPod's and iPhone's... I asked for 5 dollars and i jailbreaked it and unlocked it... i did told them that could be done by themselves but they told me they were too lazy to do it...

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I won't charge unless they want a preloaded SD card with apps already "installed." But not too much, maybe just a dollar or two.(or enough to get another) If they just want it one time and some channels, then I'll not charge.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Theres nothing wrong with charging people for installing a softmod. However this guy didn't tell her, that it's free software he's using, that it's still in beta and he used an outdated version of this software. All in all I would say we can safely call him a retard.
wink.gif

samagon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my mind I'd consider this to be "for profit" piracy which is just atrocious. While Nintendo and the 3rd party companies are getting screwed by this too the only one i feel sorry for is WiiGator. On that note i'm still against calling the popos on the dude thats charging for this.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well yes sucks when ppl do something like that to such a high price not even telling the people the full truth

wiigator should write something like "if you payed for this you were ripped off" into the loader, would at least lower the prices i assume.

i told some ppl as well i would do it, but only for like 5 bucks or maybe some more if the need an sd card and zelda (cuz i would need to lend it as well and pay)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...