Hacking Patching region-free directly into Home Menu (arm9loaderhax or EmuNAND only)

Mazamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
it's up to you if you want to use it, if you're using arm9loaderhax you can use it on your sysnand safely. you could also use other patches to enable region-free such as NTR CFW, Free multi Patcher, and regionFOUR/HANS.
I think I'll setup an emunand with the home menu patched to region free then, to be safer

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great!! Thanks for this.

Odd problem I am having though, I installed 10.6 U spoofed and now I have black boxes on home screen. I just doubled check and restored emunand and ran NTR, no black boxes? Why would I have black boxes with the RF home menu patch and not NTR? Odd?
those are things you might have installed to NAND that shouldn't be there I believe.
I think I'll setup an emunand with the home menu patched to region free then, to be safer
why? that seems a bit pointless to do it on a different NAND than your main one. it doesn't make it any "safer". as long as you back up sysnand you'll be just fine since you have arm9loaderhax.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not to be mean, but can't you just use RegionFour or HANS to play Imports?

You can, but if you can run and/or install CIAs, why would you bother when you could either install this, or use something like NTR, Free multi Patcher, or Region Free Patcher? Launching the HBL only to go into HANS is a hassle, even if there's a CIA of a *hax payload launcher..

That being said, HANS' language emulation is one tiny advantage if you refuse to run NTR for some reason.

Last edited by daxtsu,
Reactions: astronautlevel

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
those are things you might have installed to NAND that shouldn't be there I believe.

why? that seems a bit pointless to do it on a different NAND than your main one. it doesn't make it any "safer". as long as you back up sysnand you'll be just fine since you have arm9loaderhax.
Thanks, can you elaborate so I understand? Do other users have this when using this new patch? I don't have this problem with NTR. I would have expected to see this black box when using NTR and home menu patch?

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, can you elaborate so I understand? Do other users have this when using this new patch? I don't have this problem with NTR. I would have expected to see this black box when using NTR and home menu patch?
if something is installed to NAND but shouldn't be there, a black icon appears I think. since NTR CFW and things are run after the console has boot, they don't show up. they probably would if you also used rxTools + unmodified Home Menu, so this patch just exposed them. do you get it?

Reactions: astronautlevel

chbinnc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Ah... After using the patched home menu, it seems I can't use homebrew_launcher_loader.cia any more, the screen just stays in "***hax is ready", also homebrew app ORGANIZ3D stays in grep screen, wonder if anyone also has these problems.

EDIT: ORGANIZ3D can launch by browserhax but not menuhax, it should be by other cause..

Last edited by chbinnc,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is great!! Thanks for this.

Odd problem I am having though, I installed 10.6 U spoofed and now I have black boxes on home screen. I just doubled check and restored emunand and ran NTR, no black boxes? Why would I have black boxes with the RF home menu patch and not NTR? Odd?
Typically this means I have titles installed to namd but not on SD but I have always been carful with that sort of thing. Error with the home menu patch?
Black boxes are the result of something being installed wrong at some time. I also have a black box, but only with region free. Probably have installed something wrong to NAND or similar.

Just move them in a folder far to the right and never see them again. That is at least how I handle it.

Ah... After using the patched home menu, it seems I can't use homebrew_launcher_loader.cia any more, the screen just stays in "***hax is ready", also homebrew app ORGANIZ3D stays in grep screen, wonder if anyone also has these problems.
HBL CIA works for me. Maybe delete the payload and try again.

chbinnc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Black boxes are the result of something being installed wrong at some time. I also have a black box, but only with region free. Probably have installed something wrong to NAND or similar.

Just move them in a folder far to the right and never see them again. That is at least how I handle it.

Try twice and no luck, even reinstall cia can't solve the problem, guess it's from some other causes. Thank you for the reply.

Reactions: democracy

chbinnc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Do you still have 10.6 payload? Might be that.
Do you mean the payload for menuhax? I still have it and before I can boot from both of them, now I still can boot by menuhax -> crtmanager -> homebrew, also there are just two payloads for each, no others.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you mean the payload for menuhax? I still have it and before I can boot from both of them, now I still can boot by menuhax -> crtmanager -> homebrew, also there are just two payloads for each, no others.
I just started up homebrew launcher cia and it downloaded a new 10.7 payload. And it instantly worked.

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sorry, not really...

I can use any other region free method, no black box.

Use home menu patch, black boxes?

I'm being told that it's because I have something installed to nand wrongly but it seems to me as I have only this issue with this tweak that it's more likely that the tweak has a bug that needs to be addressed than something I did.

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try twice and no luck, even reinstall cia can't solve the problem, guess it's from some other causes. Thank you for the reply.
That's what I think too. I'm going to try to setup a blank new emunand to test results. The odd thing is, I have two men cards each with their own emunands, on card has 4 boxes, the other only one box.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, not really...

I can use any other region free method, no black box.

Use home menu patch, black boxes?

I'm being told that it's because I have something installed to nand wrongly but it seems to me as I have only this issue with this tweak that it's more likely that the tweak has a bug that needs to be addressed than something I did.

try reading

if something is installed to NAND but shouldn't be there, a black icon appears I think. since NTR CFW and things are run after the console has boot, they don't show up. they probably would if you also used rxTools + unmodified Home Menu, so this patch just exposed them. do you get it?

but yeah i have had black boxes with Rxtools before this is similar.

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does everyone here using this tweak have black boxes?

It's a great patch, the patch non the less, just trying to flesh out if there is something I can do or not to get rid of the black box (behind hiding them)

Last edited by democracy,

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does everyone here using this tweak have black boxes?

It's a great patch, the patch non the less, just trying to flesh out if there is something I can do or not to get rid of the black box.

Like I said the issue only persisted when i had wrong titles installed that shouldnt be there for example i had freemultipatcher installed to nand removing it resolved the issue

But seriously can you stop ignoring OP when he gives you a valid answer

@democracy maybe a program to list all of the installed titles to NAND might help find the issue of the black boxes?

*Cough* FBI * Cough*

Shuttleu

Trophies
XP
Country
Would this work with AuReinand?

I dont have anyway to compile it
patches.c
Code:
const u8 regionPattern[16] = {0x00, 0x00, 0x55, 0xE3, 0x01, 0x10, 0xA0, 0xE3, 0x11, 0x00, 0xA0, 0xE1, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0A};

void getRegionLoc(void *pos, u32 size, u32 *off){
    *off = (u32)memsearch(pos, regionPattern, Size, sizeof(regionPattern));
}

firm.c (patchfirm)
Code:
const u8 regionFree[16] = {0x01, 0x00, 0xA0, 0xE3, 0x70, 0x80, 0xBD, 0xE8, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00};

getRegionLoc(firmLocation, firmSize, &regionOffset);
memcpy((void *)regionOffset, regionFree, sizeof(regionFree));

Last edited by Shuttleu,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ dadadad: блядь