Paper Mario: The Origami King officially announced

There's a new Paper Mario game, which got a trailer shadow-dropped by Nintendo today. Titled Paper Mario: The Origami King, it features the paper style you're used to, mixed in with origami crafts. In the trailer, you can see various worlds Mario must explore, along with partners, some game mechanics, and even the battle system. Nintendo claims that The Origami King will be a comedic adventure starring familiar faces with a new look. The game will be releasing for the Nintendo Switch on July 17th.

14th May, 2020 – Are you ready for your fun to in-crease tenfold? Well, a special invitation to a colourful, paper-crafted world has arrived. Join Princess Peach, Mario and Luigi in attending the kingdom’s origami festival when Paper Mario: The Origami King launches exclusively for the Nintendo Switch on 17th July. There’s one tiny wrinkle in the festivities, though: Princess Peach seemed to be acting a little strange lately. To learn more about her mysterious behaviour, check out the Paper Mario: The Origami King - Arriving July 17th! (Nintendo Switch) trailer on the Nintendo YouTube channel. Also, early purchasers can pre-load the game today from Nintendo eShop.

It seems as if King Olly – who claims to be the ruler of the Origami Kingdom – has hatched a devious plot in unleashing his plan to fold the entire world. It looks pretty dangerous on paper, so someone who’s a cut above the rest is needed to save the day! In Paper Mario: The Origami King Mario faces one of his most thrilling challenges yet. Just when matters couldn’t get worse, King Olly has bound Princess Peach’s Castle in giant, coloured streamers and transported it to a distant mountain. He’s even transformed Bowser’s minions into Folded Soldiers and enlisted them in his treacherous cause.

Luckily, Mario is equipped with a range of new tools at his disposal to help secure victory. A new ability called 1000-Fold Arms allows players to interact with the landscape by stretching out and pulling, peeling and revealing new locations, helping you solve puzzles and uncover unexpected surprises. Along the way, players will enlist the help of allies old and new, such as King Olly’s very own good-natured sister, Olivia, along with a range of unlikely allies. Even Bowser himself hasn’t yet folded to the whims of King Olly’s origami will, and Mario will accept all the help he can find with open arms!

Paper Mario: The Origami King introduces a new ring-based battle system that allows players to flex their puzzle-solving skills to line up scattered enemies and maximise damage. While the enemies may be crafted from paper, these dynamic, turn-based battles are far from stationary. It’ll require a sharp mind to make short work of these crafty enemies.

With a detail-rich world to explore, off-the-wall mini-game events and countless mysteries waiting to be solved, the next joyful Mario adventure on Nintendo Switch is ready to deliver huge helpings of laughs.

Early purchasers can pre-load the game today from Nintendo eShop. With so many titles available on Nintendo Switch, using Nintendo eShop’s Wish List function can be a good way to keep track of them. Now, to make it even more convenient, it’s possible to access, manage and add games to a Nintendo Switch Wish List via the official Nintendo website. Find out more on this new feature on the Nintendo Switch Wish List page via our website.

Paper Mario: The Origami King launches for Nintendo Switch on 17th July. Join Princess Peach, Mario and Luigi in attending the kingdom’s origami festival and explore a detail-rich world with off-the-wall mini-game events and countless mysteries waiting to be solved.

maxresdefault.jpg

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I suppose you could say that the community is very "torn" over this.
I don't get the hate for the battle system, seems pretty quick and intuitive. I guess some people only want re-treads of what they've already seen before, but I'll take innovation over nostalgia glasses any day of the week. The old games will always be there.

Reactions: DbGt

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get the hate for the battle system, seems pretty quick and intuitive. I guess some people only want re-treads of what they've already seen before, but I'll take innovation over nostalgia glasses any day of the week. The old games will always be there.
the original battle system wasnt broken or flawed or anything, so why nintendo had to try and change it is beyond me
if it aint broke dont fix it.
south park the stick of truth did what nintendo shouldve with paper mario- yes i get i bring that game up a lot but it's what paper mario after ttyd should have been.

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
In all fairness Paper Mario games haven't been a consistent genre for a long time. Varying between amounts of RPG, platforming, and puzzle elements. Changing things up is just as normal as anything else.

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all fairness Paper Mario games haven't been a consistent genre for a long time. Varying between amounts of RPG, platforming, and puzzle elements. Changing things up is just as normal as anything else.
I get that changing things up is a nice thing but then nintendo found a gameplay style no one liked and made it the new default one.
Imagine if god of war had a spinoff that was a puzzle game that got low review scores and even lower user scores. imagine if santa monica decided to make that puzzle game the new god of war gameplay style and throw away the one fans loved so much.
that's basically what nintendo did with paper mario

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
the original battle system wasnt broken or flawed or anything, so why nintendo had to try and change it is beyond me
if it aint broke dont fix it.
I mean, how often do you see Nintendo use the exact same concepts from one game to the next in any of their IPs? They didn't reach their current level of notoriety and popularity by resting on their laurels, but rather by constantly trying new things and applying multiple coats of polish to them.

south park the stick of truth did what nintendo shouldve with paper mario- yes i get i bring that game up a lot but it's what paper mario after ttyd should have been.
Eh, taken as interactive South Park episodes I enjoyed the humor in Stick of Truth and TSBW, but taken as full-fledged RPGs I found them fairly shallow and repetitive. I can't really comment on how they compare to Paper Mario games after TTYD because that's the last one I played, but regardless I think Nintendo is probably better off continuing to do their own thing.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the best things about this announcement is also one of the most worrying for me!... I'm loving the 'here's a new game from us! With gameplay footage! And a release date in 2 months!' - bravo Nintendo!! ....But the simple fact that it's appeared out of nowhere (okay, we'd heard Paper Mario rumours, but you get my point!) yet will be released in a couple of months? I get the sinking feeling it's gonna be another Sticker Star-like pile of shit....:sad:

Aside from that, Highlight = Metroid hat! Which kinda gives weight to my point above I suppose...

So... You'd rather it be more like FF7r And Last Guardian, and Duke Nukem forever where we know about them for years in advanced and don't know anything.

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, how often do you see Nintendo use the exact same concepts from one game to the next in any of their IPs? They didn't reach their current level of notoriety and popularity by resting on their laurels, but rather by constantly trying new things and applying multiple coats of polish to them.

Eh, taken as interactive South Park episodes I enjoyed the humor in Stick of Truth and TSBW, but taken as full-fledged RPGs I found them fairly shallow and repetitive. I can't really comment on how they compare to Paper Mario games after TTYD because that's the last one I played, but regardless I think Nintendo is probably better off continuing to do their own thing.
super mario bros to super mario bros the lost levels is a nice example. SMB3 to smw too.
Super Mario Sunshine was a direct sequel to 64 and it carried many concepts from that game
the metroids on GBA were fairly similar to super metroid albeit with better controls
the entire zelda series, both 3d and 2d is also an amazing example of this
NSMB and pokemon although those series prove your point more than anything with how repetitive they are is between installments.
F-zero before its demise also had similar concepts between games
Kirby's another example of this too.
DKC, Mario and Luigi, Mario kart, Pikmin, etc.
also, animal crossing and smash bros are good examples of this as well
Notice that most of these IPs are mainly nintendo's most popular ones... hmmm what could that POSSIBLY mean...

Last edited by 64bitmodels,

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get that changing things up is a nice thing but then nintendo found a gameplay style no one liked and made it the new default one.
Imagine if god of war had a spinoff that was a puzzle game that got low review scores and even lower user scores. imagine if santa monica decided to make that puzzle game the new god of war gameplay style and throw away the one fans loved so much.
that's basically what nintendo did with paper mario
for the last time, THIS IS NOT THE STICKER SYSTEM.
THE STICKER SYSTEM IS NO LONGER THE DEFAULT ONE.
THIS IS NEW, AND IT'S CLOSER TO THE CLASSICS.

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for the last time, THIS IS NOT THE STICKER SYSTEM.
THE STICKER SYSTEM IS NO LONGER THE DEFAULT ONE.
THIS IS NEW, AND IT'S CLOSER TO THE CLASSICS.
again, closer to the classics would be south park. also, where's the partners in that trailer?? one of the most fun things about paper mario games were the partners you met along the journey. you'd use them and their abilities to solve clever puzzles hidden in the overworld. even super paper mario with the pixls got this right. sticker star, color splash and origami king arrive and- NOPE, FUCK THE PARTNERS, IT'S ALL MARIO NOW, WHO CARES ABOUT BEFRENDING PEOPLE THAT UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES YOU WOULDN'T EVEN HESITATE TO KILL, WHO CARES ABOUT CLASSIC AND MEMORABLE CHARACTERS THAT MADE THE PAPER MARIO SERIES SO LOVED BY MANY, WHO CARES ABOUT THE CUSTOM ABILITIES THESE PARTNERS ADDED THAT MADE BATTLES IN PAPER MARIO SUCH A JOY TO PLAY, NAHH LETS JUST THROW THAT OUT THE WINDOW CUZ IT'S ALL MARIO BABYYYYYYYYYY, ONLY PARTNER IN SIGHT IS THAT WEIRD GUY WHO JUST NARRATES AND HAS NO INTERESTING PERSONALITY BECAUSE PLAYERS LOVED THAT FROM SUPER PAPER MARIO SO MUCH AM I RIGHT BOYS? EXCEPT THAT EVEN THEN TIPPI HAD A NICE BACKSTORY THAT TIED IN WITH THE BIGASS PLOT TWIST OF THE GAME THAT MADE HER A MEMORABLE CHARACTER, BUT IN STICKER STAR AND COLOR SPLASH NONE OF THAT IS TO BE FOUND BECAUSE WHO NEEDS CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND GOOD WRITING AM I RIGHT GUYS

Last edited by 64bitmodels,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
super mario bros to super mario bros the lost levels is a nice example. SMB3 to smw too.
Super Mario Sunshine was a direct sequel to 64 and it carried many concepts from that game
the metroids on GBA were fairly similar to super metroid albeit with better controls
the entire zelda series, both 3d and 2d is also an amazing example of this
NSMB and pokemon although those series prove your point more than anything with how repetitive they are is between installments.
F-zero before its demise also had similar concepts between games
Kirby's another example of this too.
DKC, Mario and Luigi, Mario kart, Pikmin, etc.
I'm not referring to the absolute basics like platforming controls. SMW had a completely different type of overworld from SMB3, it had Yoshi, had the switches, had the cape, etc. There was no FLUDD in SM64. GBA Metroids each had some unique upgrades and weapons IIRC. A Link Between Worlds has completely different mechanics from a Link to the Past. Etc and so forth.

The one series I will concede has seen very few significant changes since the original Gameboy is Pokemon, but that's more a Game Freak thing. For my part I'd prefer to never see other Nintendo IPs become as soulless as modern Pokemon and CoD are, regardless of whether that speeds up releases or not.

Last edited by Xzi,

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not referring to the absolute basics like platforming controls. SMW had a completely different type of overworld from SMW3, it had Yoshi, had the switches, had the cape, etc. There was no FLUDD in SM64. GBA Metroids each had some unique upgrades and weapons IIRC. A Link Between Worlds has completely different mechanics from a Link to the Past. Etc and so forth.

The one series I will concede has seen very few significant changes since the original Gameboy is Pokemon, but that's more a Game Freak thing. For my part I'd prefer to never see other Nintendo IPs become as soulless as modern Pokemon and CoD are, regardless of whether that speeds up releases or not.
pokemon was a basic repetitive piece of crap RPG since the beginning and the fact it became as popular as it is just baffles me. it's a disgrace to actual good rpgs like final fantasy and the mana series

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
I've never considered pokemon an RPG. There's no roleplaying, the only choice boxes give the illusion of choice. (A terrible trend in JRPGs). It's very much its own thing. Its popularity has nothing to do with it being classed as an RPG though, its because of very successful marketing campaigns that spawned a global phenomenon.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
pokemon was a basic repetitive piece of crap RPG since the beginning and the fact it became as popular as it is just baffles me. it's a disgrace to actual good rpgs like final fantasy and the mana series
For a Gameboy game, Pokemon was mind-blowing and insanely good. The issue is, for all intents and purposes, it's still a Gameboy game thirty years later, while other games have adapted themselves for new technology. That's the primary problem with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset. One successful release can harden a developer forever against the idea of making any changes to the formula. And even if it's a good formula, people are going to lose interest after a few sequels.

Last edited by Xzi,

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is one thing that no one is talking about for the battle system. Why have a timer on it? I don't remember any other Paper Mario games having a timer on their battle system. It going to give some people anxiety and making it feel like people will have to hurry it up, and to me that is no fun at all. Sure some RPG you can set the battle called Active Time Battle, but I do not recall them having a timer on them. I could be wrong though.
Or a better question would be is what is the timer being used for?

Eh, probably hack/cheat it to give infinite time.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
There is one thing that no one is talking about for the battle system. Why have a timer on it? I don't remember any other Paper Mario games having a timer on their battle system. It going to give some people anxiety and making it feel like people will have to hurry it up, and to me that is no fun at all. Sure some RPG you can set the battle called Active Time Battle, but I do not recall them having a timer on them. I could be wrong though.
Or a better question would be is what is the timer being used for?

Eh, probably hack/cheat it to give infinite time.
I personally think it's a neat addition.
Will give the right amount of stress to solve the puzzle and feel accomplished once you win the battle.

HeartfeltDesu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
beyondchristie.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
i hope it's good, cause' i ain't buying a switch if it's bad
Why not buy a Switch for its other good games? :P

This game looks sick, though the trailer feels really off tonally. The fauxlosophy is really misplaced in a comedic-adventure Paper Mario game. I can't wait to see more of the gameplay, though!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/_pJZQEANQU4?si=3i2w--qD8HBaLqy5 +1