1. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    This is all just speculative at the moment of course, but I'm betting it'll rate you for each battle based on clear time and other factors. That said, this is Mario, and so you can also expect a very generous overall amount of time on the clock, along with generous goalposts for the battle ratings (bronze-silver-gold or whatever it might be). From screenshots, we see you can definitely buy more time if absolutely necessary.

Mostly I think it's just there to give a slight sense of urgency.

Last edited by Xzi, May 14, 2020
    Mr. Looigi, RandomUser and VinsCool like this.
  2. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    well you're right i guess- but that's also just helping my next point. it should be easy to find a good middle ground between innovating and staying the same.
    megaman and megaman x are a great example of this. at first looking at the games, they might seem repetitive but each game has a new feature, improvement or gimmick to keep gameplay fresh (even if not all examples were sucessful. also WALL OF TEXT INCOMING)
    Megaman 2 added 2 extra robot masters and set the standard for future megaman games
    megaman 3 added the slide, which made for lots of new platforming challenges and ways to dodge attacks. they also added rush jet, spring, and marine.
    megaman 4 added the charge shot- which made it much easier to deal with damage sponges and hard to hit enemies
    Megaman 5 improved the charge shot and added beat.
    Megaman 6 added the rush power adaptor and rush jet adaptor
    megaman and bass added bass as a playable character
    Megaman 9 added Protoman as a playable character.
    Megaman 11 added the gear system
    Megaman X added the dash and ride armors, along side an intro stage, the concept of armors and heart tanks and more fast paced gameplay in general
    Megaman X2 made the dash a default part of X's moveset
    Megaman X3 added the chips and the ability to swap ride armors, though only at the appropriate places. it was also the first time zero made a playable appearance.
    Megaman X4 completely made zero a playable character complete with his own campaign and even a few additional bosses
    Megaman X5 introduced multiple armors and the part system
    Megaman X8 introduced mix and match armor parts
    Meanwhile all of these games managed to introduce new levels, robot masters/mavericks and gimmicks for each level that made the megaman series so unique and fresh with each new installment despite having the same basic gameplay.
    THIS was what i meant by finding a good balance between innovating old and adding new. Nintendo doesn't seem to be able to do that with paper mario- that's why i have no more faith in them

Last edited by 64bitmodels, May 14, 2020
    AlexMCS likes this.
  3. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

United States
    That great and all, but video games are supposed to be fun, not stressful. Not counting the repetitive nature of enemy encounters, and thus repetitive timed game. Timed puzzles here and there is okay, but having timed everywhere is where this game seems to be getting at doesn't sound appealing.
    But as long as cheats are possible, it probably won't matter anyway.

4. Xzi

United States
    Quite a bit off-topic, but I love Megaman 1 through X3, thought X4 was decent, and feel like the series lost something after that. Maybe it was the sense of mystery around the characters, maybe it's that they started adding too many new ones, maybe it was level design. Dunno. The MMZ and ZX games are fantastic, though, possibly the best Megaman games period.

Essentially, Capcom has been inconsistent, but when they're on top of their game, they're masters.

Last edited by Xzi, May 14, 2020
  5. 64bitmodels

United States
    IDK man tetris 99 is pretty stressful but is also pretty fun once you get into the top 50
    it's not so much you have an essential timer looming over you with people targeting you and whatnot but it's more about the fact that as long as you play good you won't lose

VinsCool likes this.
  6. RandomUser

United States
    Ah, never thought of it that way. That would work better if that is the case.

Xzi likes this.
  7. VinsCool

VinsCool Persona Secretiva Felineus

Canada
    I dunno, having some pressure makes it a lot more fun to me, but maybe that's just me :P

RandomUser likes this.
  8. 64bitmodels

United States
    MMX5 was the start of a series decline
    originally inafune wanted it to be the end of megaman x but crapcom decided it would be best to milk the mega cow and make the travesties that are mmx6 and mmx7
    Mediocre Man X8 didnt save the series after that

Xzi likes this.
  9. RandomUser

United States
    Yes, however we're talking about RPG style games. So it is supposed to be slower pace then racing games or tetris.

10. 64bitmodels

United States
    no one mentioned racing games but ok

11. Xzi

United States
    What I like about this concept is that it should be more than easy enough for those that want to take their time, but it's also appealing to people who enjoy fast-paced puzzle stuff like Tetris and Catherine, meaning you'll have a bunch of streamers and Youtubers speedrunning it.

12. Plasmaster09

Plasmaster09 Social Justice Potato

United States
    why is everyone complaining about the battle system and saying it's just like sticker star or color splash
    WATCH THE SEPARATE MINUTE-LONG GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE FOR GODS SAKE
    IT'S BASICALLY THE CLASSIC SYSTEM BUT WITH RING STUFF
    and btw? THERE ARE PARTNERS. THERE APPEAR TO BE MULTIPLE MOVES PER ATTACK TYPE LIKE THE CLASSIC GAMES HAD SPECIAL MOVES. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED, PEOPLE, NOW SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

13. LuxerWap

LuxerWap The Green Husky with a Broken Tail

United States
    Proving my point once again that Paper Mario fans will hate newer games that’s not like TTYD. I really do not get why everyone would prefer the old, slower combat when the newer games are quick and fun, imo. As for partners not being original, I still don’t understand. Super Mario’s got tons of characters that are iconic. You don’t need to dress them up. It’s been 16 years since that game and everyone is still complaining.

This new one looks great and will probably be my favorite in the series cause it’s looking like it.

Mylink5 likes this.
  14. DarkCoffe64

Italy
    Just buy Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling, an actual good paper mario-like game, with better chars and story imo

15. 64bitmodels

United States
    I see no partners
    maybe i think i was being too harsh on the timer though
    i'd just perfer if it were a different way of making battles more stressful

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

or the south park games.
    you can get south park TSOT/FBW or bug fables. if youre desperate get this probably. I'd settle for those other 3 though- nintendo doesn't know what made paper mario good in the first place so ttyd may be the last traditional paper mario we may ever see

Last edited by 64bitmodels, May 15, 2020
    DarkCoffe64 likes this.
  16. RandomUser

United States
    Yeah, I had a brain fart.

fair enough.

17. Plasmaster09

United States
    Although we haven't seen partners in battle yet, we see plenty of Mario with one other character (not counting Olivia, who's basically if Kersti/Huey had any reason to exist beyond just being the exposition partner). Whether it be Bowser (folded into a little paper stand, so he's constantly square shaped lmao), Kamek or one of a few of Bowser's various minions, Mario's clearly got others with him.
    The part about Mario teaming up with Bowser, Toads and others in the synopsis wasn't lying.

18. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes;Gate

Antarctica
    Genwunner gonna hate. Really, Color Splash battle wasn't bad, just way too easy. For those who says that you need to grind... How? I have to keep trashing cards because I have too much of them, and I never stopped to grind a single time. The big issue with Color Splash was the story, which I hope Origami King will be better.

19. Plasmaster09

United States
    I agree about the haters, but Color Splash's system made basic battles completely pointless because the only thing you gain from them are coins, which you spend to get the very things you use up battling.
    It looks like Origami King's new battle system will actually require real strategy and provide real rewards for battles.

20. frankGT

frankGT GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    While i agree its a good game and respect you opinion, in my eyes that game cant hold up in comparison to a paper mario game.

Excluding dialog, everything else lacked, it felt like the cheap game that it was, nowhere near the production values of a high budget nintendo game.

AlexMCS likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - officially, announced, Origami