1. Plasmaster09

Plasmaster09 Social Justice Potato

United States
    Good news: Upon further analysis, this is basically the same classic system as 64/TTYD but with the new ring mechanic. Whether you like it or not, it does add some depth and/or strategy to combat.
    And Paper Jam had a good battle system because it's a Mario and Luigi game, and the M+L games all have a fantastic battle system.

2. FalcoDash107

FalcoDash107 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    -
    The classic system returns, eh? That's great, considering all the paper mario games after TTYD were worse because they didn't even know what to do, resulting in the games after TTYD being way different and therfore bad
    But hey that's just my opinion

3. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Argentina
    Sticker Star is definitely the worst one since it doesn't even have a good story.

4. Plasmaster09

United States
    honestly yeah
    top to bottom: ttyd, super, 64, color splash, sticker star.
    I expect this to beat everything except ttyd honestly because of how damn good it looks so far

5. raxadian

Argentina
    I am fond of 64 ability to skip non Boss fights to be honest.

That one should get a remake someday since not even Nintendo emulators can fully emulate it correctly.

Last edited by raxadian, May 20, 2020
  6. Plasmaster09

United States
    wait, you're fond of the fact it's glitchy as hell? please specify what you mean by "skip fights". if they remake it, that certainly won't be kept in.

7. raxadian

Argentina
    The fact you can avoid fights with enemies that aren't bosses, not the gliches.

And while the game has gliches, it has less gitches when running in an actual Nintendo 64. Is been 19 years but the emulation of this game still has problems.

8. Plasmaster09

United States
    Last I checked you can avoid enemies in the other games.
    In fact, the fact that you probably should in Sticker Star and Color Splash is the reason those games are near-universally reviled!
    Also, emulating Paper Mario 64 often has less glitches.
    At least for the Wii/Wii U VC version.

9. Tur7L3

Tur7L3 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Venezuela
    Would be fun if Nintendo actually accidentally leaks this game downloading it on all pre-ordered game users 2 weeks before release. Again.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Bro no offense but can you see you have been insulting a game with like 10 comments? agame thatreleases on July
    A game you have only seen 17 seconds of gameplay from.

10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    It's funny how paraLLEl N64 on RetroArch is like, the only unofficial emulator to run Paper Mario 64 accurately, and Nintendo's own N64 emulators are absolute garbage.

11. raxadian

Argentina
    Do you have video proof of that?

Because I hate using Retroarch so I won't without a really good reason.

12. Plasmaster09

United States
    it's not microtransactions. there is nothing implying nintendo would seriously charge people for coins in a game like this.
    if anything, it's basically just "eh pay a little in-game currency that you get a shitload of just playing normally, and you basically get to not have to be good at the combat"

13. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Well that's a shame, guess you're stuck with garbage plugin-based N64 emulators

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/...able-in-parallel-n64-right-now-for-retroarch/

Watch the videos too, because it's either accurate emulation, or piss poor plugin swapping for every game. People love to shit on RetroArch because "the GUI sucks" or "my PC can't run it" .
    Either use standalone emulators and dink with them, or get a better PC. Runs fine over here.

14. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Super Paper Mario was the best.

Tur7L3 likes this.
  15. Tamunya

Tamunya Member
    Newcomer

Bahrain
    I just want AlphaDream to expand, get Yoko Shimomura as a composer and take over Paper Mario. Every Mario RPG made by AlphaDream is at least very good, if not fantastic (for what it is).

16. Tur7L3

Tur7L3 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Venezuela
    Yeah, the thing is they have never really changed the idea (as a good thing tho)

In SS they started good so this one and PiT are just experimenting the idea. BiS did it perfect with things like combining the Bro. Points and Tandem Attacks, and added Bowser to spice things up.

DT saw this and basically made BiS 2 with Dream World (this were Alphadream's best years tho)

So yeah, when they finally got the perfect gameplay in BiS they just kept doing that but changing and adding a bit but not too much of new gimmick to the gameplay.

While Paper Mario changed maybe too much with the last two games (considering SPM did it too but it was perfect and it wasn't really an RPG so I'm not counting it) I don't think M&L has to take over Paper Mario, both series are great on their own. And with the rumors and the trailer this seems to be going back to its roots so, good for the Paper Mario games.

17. Plasmaster09

United States
    I mean Paper Jam wasn't that bad
    It had the "genericization curse" that plagues most of modern Mario (that is, the lack of anything that isn't just existing Mario characters), but it was a legitimately good game.

18. Tur7L3

Tur7L3 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Venezuela
    As someone who played it I can tell. Plus, the plot was probably because at the start they were trying to expand the M&L idea with another button or something like that (you can look into it in Wikipedia) the Paper idea came during development. So kind of a SMG2-situation.

Jonnysert likes this.
  19. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Paper Jam has one of the coolest battle gameplay I've ever played. Needs to be played in stereoscopic 3D though. The game is soooo dragged out I couldn't finish it. I played maybe 60ish % of it. A couple of times I tried picking it up again to play it just as a battle mini-game thing but I couldn't.

20. Jonnysert

Jonnysert GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    This is exactly what I wanted ever since the trailers Zack's play through of color splash is my favorite you tube series.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - officially, announced, Origami