• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

opinions on teaching about lgbtq+ in school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One issue is problematic, and that's how quickly things change within the LGBTQ+ community as a whole. there's constantly new flags, new identities, new pronouns, etc that school boards can't and won't be bothered to keep up with. And nobody wants to teach material long-term that gets updated at what seems like an hourly pace.
Just stick to essential history and make it an elective class depending entirely on student input.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
That tabzer guy is a literal shitbag, don't listen to anything he has to say. He brings nothing of value to any conversation he's a part of.

Why are you mad? Not everyone agrees with me, nor do I expect them to. If you disagree with something I said, speak up. Calling me a shitbag communicates feelings that have nothing to do with the content of the thread and looks irrational.

Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: HalfScoper

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I support it, but I'm a bit torn as to which class should cover the topic. Or do we start subdividing it to many classes; Like LGBTQ+ health inclusion in health class, LGBTQ+ history in history class, LGBTQ+ literature in English class, etc? It can be a slippery slope to accurately and effectively be all-inclusive.

One issue is problematic, and that's how quickly things change within the LGBTQ+ community as a whole. there's constantly new flags, new identities, new pronouns, etc that school boards can't and won't be bothered to keep up with. And nobody wants to teach material long-term that gets updated at what seems like an hourly pace.

Another issue with this is all the stubborn teachers and other school staff that aren't LGBTQ+ friendly or accepting of LGBTQ+ students' identities, genders, pronouns, or names they go by over their given birth name/school-registered name. Granted, we're gaining traction in all areas, but it's very slow and takes many generations to dissolve the hateful people from the pool.

And then there's the toxic Kens and Karens that don't want you "teaching that crap to my child!" and force the kid to stay home or be homeschooled, where the child can't escape to ever be themselves around their parents if they ARE LGBTQ+.

I want everyone to just be accepting of their peers, and this school thing is gonna take time, and will need to be a slow progression, but most importantly, it needs to continue on and give these LGBTQ+ kids the love and support they need to grow into good-spirited and loving human beings.

That tabzer guy is a literal shitbag, don't listen to anything he has to say. He brings nothing of value to any conversation he's a part of.
you have alot of good points here! :3

Reactions: Jayro

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are forgetting about the many teenagers that are already in the lgbtq(myself included) that arent 18
Post automatically merged:

exactly

sadly alot of gen z already has homophobic and transphobic beliefs... its sad
You probably don't know who you are. You may be right, maybe not. You still have growing to do. It's not for your teachers to get involved. You be you and respect everyone. That should be the message.

You don't need the teachers to get involved. This is why homophobes happen. You don't need validation. Believe in yourself. Be kind, be you and be respectful and it will work out. Kids don't mature simultaneously. Some will be children well out of high school. What gives you the right to decide that what makes you happy is what is right for everyone? What about their rights? You're so special! You'll be sad so we all have to conform. Screw your need to fit in. You don't fit in. Nobody does. Eveyone is akward as kids. Leave kids alone. It's fanaticism. You're not that important and you're not normal. Nobody is. No amout of coddling or augmenting society will change that. Just be you and let others do the same. Hate happens when you force people. There's no reason to do that. Be respectful and there won't be hate. Chill out.
More to that than you may realize. Rightwing propaganda has people frothing at the mouth in fear about trans-rapists and pedophiles, whilst most just want to pass and live normal lives like everyone else. I like Alex (from the vid above) because he's smart, grounded, and insightful, and also because he demolishes so many false stereotypes.

You guys, people are people. NOBODY is normal. Everyone is weird. Human beings are complex strange and unique. Nobody fits in those boxes. Normal is a bullshit standard created by society. It doesn't really exist. There is a misconception that normal means right and everything else is wrong. This is incorrect . It just means conforming to an imaginary standard.

LGBTQIA is outside the box. For sure. Not what is meant by normal. Not wrong but not normal.

Trans happens, from a psychological standpoint, for a ton of reasons. Some of those reasons are biological, some are mental, some based in science, some based on feelings. Sometimes DNA is a factor, arrested development, mutations, somtimes its the media and a child's fragile eggshell mind. Sometimes its about trauma. Sometimes it's imitaion. Sometimes it's something you can't put a finger on. Some fake it to be popular. Some are born that way and wish they weren't. Not wrong but not normal.

Why do you insist on saying normal?

It's stupid. Normal is boring anyway and we're all unique. There is no normal. Trans is definitely not boring or normal. You have to see that sometimes all the different versions of trans are real. Some are born this way. Some are made this way and some are bullshit. Kids have no idea about sexuality or identity. Most have no inclination whatsoever. Putting ideas in their head can , for some, change their perception. Just let them do it on their own. Childhood is a journey of self discovery and learning. Stop pushing your story on the children. Just because you see some similarity to you doesn't mean they are you. They have their own childhood and own condition. Teaching any form of sexuality to children is crap. You do it to make you feel better ,not for the kids. It's selfish and it does steal part of their childhood. It's not fair. I understand you want to be accepted and want the child to feel okay with your condition in hopes of a more accepting world. That can wait. Don't teach Trans. Teach human. Teacj decency. Teach love. Kids are trying to figure out so many things. Stop preaching and just set good examples. Tell them people are interesting and unique. Just be yourself and be kind. You dont need to be in the closet but you don't need to be in the spotlight either. That's about you again and not the children. Stop being ridiculous.

And nobody here has defined child in the context if this thread. It's a broad term. 15 like the OP? That's a young adult. 15 is capable to ask questions and learn to be their own person. You're well on your way at that point. Presenting all the ideas,solicited or not, is reasonable. Health class saying these variations exist is fine and dandy. If you're talking about grade school, it's a little fucked up. I mean, same gender barbies or kens, no big deal. Having bert and ernie be a little more obvious, maybe. Telling them they can be whoever they want, great. Teaching confusing ideology probably not. Its confusing enough being 10. Hell, most adults are confused about sexuality. Give them a break and let them figure out Santa is a lie before they start questioning their bodies.

Op, what do you mean? What grade? How much exposure? Same sex couples in cartoons? Whatever. Elmo crying because he wants to be Elma? Maybe an overreach.

Let the kids be kids as long as they want to be. Let them worry about verbs and vowels not roles and appendages. They deserve a childhood too.

And none of us are normal. Stop that bullshit please.

• Haha
Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably don't know who you are. You may be right, maybe not. You still have growing to do. It's not for your teachers to get involved. You be you and respect everyone. That should be the message.

You don't need the teachers to get involved. This is why homophobes happen. You don't need validation. Believe in yourself. Be kind, be you and be respectful and it will work out. Kids don't mature simultaneously. Some will be children well out of high school. What gives you the right to decide that what makes you happy is what is right for everyone? What about their rights? You're so special! You'll be sad so we all have to conform. Screw your need to fit in. You don't fit in. Nobody does. Eveyone is akward as kids. Leave kids alone. It's fanaticism. You're not that important and you're not normal. Nobody is. No amout of coddling or augmenting society will change that. Just be you and let others do the same. Hate happens when you force people. There's no reason to do that. Be respectful and there won't be hate. Chill out.

You guys, people are people. NOBODY is normal. Everyone is weird. Human beings are complex strange and unique. Nobody fits in those boxes. Normal is a bullshit standard created by society. It doesn't really exist. There is a misconception that normal means right and everything else is wrong. This is incorrect . It just means conforming to an imaginary standard.

LGBTQIA is outside the box. For sure. Not what is meant by normal. Not wrong but not normal.

Trans happens, from a psychological standpoint, for a ton of reasons. Some of those reasons are biological, some are mental, some based in science, some based on feelings. Sometimes DNA is a factor, arrested development, mutations, somtimes its the media and a child's fragile eggshell mind. Sometimes its about trauma. Sometimes it's imitaion. Sometimes it's something you can't put a finger on. Some fake it to be popular. Some are born that way and wish they weren't. Not wrong but not normal.

Why do you insist on saying normal?

It's stupid. Normal is boring anyway and we're all unique. There is no normal. Trans is definitely not boring or normal. You have to see that sometimes all the different versions of trans are real. Some are born this way. Some are made this way and some are bullshit. Kids have no idea about sexuality or identity. Most have no inclination whatsoever. Putting ideas in their head can , for some, change their perception. Just let them do it on their own. Childhood is a journey of self discovery and learning. Stop pushing your story on the children. Just because you see some similarity to you doesn't mean they are you. They have their own childhood and own condition. Teaching any form of sexuality to children is crap. You do it to make you feel better ,not for the kids. It's selfish and it does steal part of their childhood. It's not fair. I understand you want to be accepted and want the child to feel okay with your condition in hopes of a more accepting world. That can wait. Don't teach Trans. Teach human. Teacj decency. Teach love. Kids are trying to figure out so many things. Stop preaching and just set good examples. Tell them people are interesting and unique. Just be yourself and be kind. You dont need to be in the closet but you don't need to be in the spotlight either. That's about you again and not the children. Stop being ridiculous.

And nobody here has defined child in the context if this thread. It's a broad term. 15 like the OP? That's a young adult. 15 is capable to ask questions and learn to be their own person. You're well on your way at that point. Presenting all the ideas,solicited or not, is reasonable. Health class saying these variations exist is fine and dandy. If you're talking about grade school, it's a little fucked up. I mean, same gender barbies or kens, no big deal. Having bert and ernie be a little more obvious, maybe. Telling them they can be whoever they want, great. Teaching confusing ideology probably not. Its confusing enough being 10. Hell, most adults are confused about sexuality. Give them a break and let them figure out Santa is a lie before they start questioning their bodies.

Op, what do you mean? What grade? How much exposure? Same sex couples in cartoons? Whatever. Elmo crying because he wants to be Elma? Maybe an overreach.

Let the kids be kids as long as they want to be. Let them worry about verbs and vowels not roles and appendages. They deserve a childhood too.

And none of us are normal. Stop that bullshit please.
I have stated that Im not sure about what age, Since i dont know. I said multiple times I dont know the age range

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have stated that Im not sure about what age, Since i dont know. I said multiple times I dont know the age range

Impossible to answer then without a bunch.of qualifying convoluted statements like you see above. Imho you are not a child. You're a young adult. Teaching broad ideas to you at school is okay. You still need room to think and shouldn't be told what to do. Figure out who you are. It's your journey.

A 10 year old,.no. that's not cool.
A 5 year old? You need an ass kicking.

Major difference.

• Haha

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Impossible to answer then without a bunch.of qualifying convoluted statements like you see above. Imho you are not a child. You're a young adult. Teaching broad ideas to you at school is okay. You still need room to think and shouldn't be told what to do. Figure out who you are. It's your journey.

A 10 year old,.no. that's not cool.
A 5 year old? You need an ass kicking.

Major difference.
what about 12 or 13, when i discovered myself?

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it shouldn't be a sensitive or an issue at all.

people should be equally entitled to be who ever they want to be, love who ever they want to love.

it should not matter if another person wants to be this or that, or loves this or that.

it makes no difference to you what other people want to be, as long as it's not harming anyone then what does it matter.

and yes, i completely agree that this topic should to explained to kids, not only does it give others an understanding, it also shows support for those who are feeling this way but are confused about what they are feeling and to know it is ok and you dont need to feel ashamed or that you have to hide away, you can be you and there is support.

its no different than teaching your kids about straight sexual education and about your body.

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

people should be equally entitled to be who ever they want to be, love who ever they want to love.

it should not matter if another person wants to be this or that, or loves this or that.

it makes no difference to you what other people want to be, as long as it's not harming anyone then what does it matter.

and yes, i completely agree that this topic should to explained to kids, not only does it give others an understanding, it also shows support for those who are feeling this way but are confused about what they are feeling and to know it is ok and you dont need to feel ashamed or that you have to hide away, you can be you and there is support.

its no different than teaching your kids about straight sexual education and about your body.
this is so true :3

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what about 12 or 13, when i discovered myself?

Thats you. Not everyone. Let them discover themselves.

You go teaching 5 year olds about sex in any capacity you're a sicko. Straight or not.

Oh my god, is this argument still going? Jesus Christ. This thread is gonna die after i do.
With a little luck.

• Haha

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You go teaching 5 year olds about sex in any capacity you're a sicko. Straight or not.

With a little luck.
who mentioned 5 year olds

Reactions: KingVamp

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
who mentioned 5 year olds
It's the far-righter strawman favourite argument. Don't mind that the absolute majority of child molesters lie in their field.

Children and school is broad term. And kindergarten was mentioned in the thread.
Kindergarten seems a perfect age to start teaching children to be respecftul of others.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are they going to discover themselves without a safe, judgement-free environment which school can and should be?

What school? High school?

It's the far-righter strawman favourite argument. Don't mind that the absolute majority of child molesters lie in their field.

Kindergarten seems a perfect age to start teaching children to be respecftul of others.

Im am not right wing. I'm very liberal. Kindergarten was mentioned.

Respect should be taught day one.
Human should be taught day one.

Kids don't care about your gender issues. Crayons and tetherball. That's what they should be thinking about.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also this whole concept of "teaching LGBT" is an absurd red herring. First of all, you can't "teach" LGBT, because it's not an acquired skill - it's something that people are or are not. What you can teach, however, is that LGBT people exist and the history of civil rights. And if you're against that, then you really don't belong in a school, or in life, for all I care.
Im am not right wing. I'm very liberal.
"Trust me bro, I'm liberal, I just don't think LGBT should exist"
High school?
High school might have been appropriate in the 2000s, these days it's important to start as early as 13. And not because I say so, but because kids are ALREADY BEING EXPOSED to that content. There's no parental control which can't be broken.

Bunjolio

the prettiest girl ever
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also this whole concept of "teaching LGBT" is an absurd red herring. First of all, you can't "teach" LGBT, because it's not an acquired skill - it's something that people are or are not. What you can teach, however, is that LGBT people exist and the history. And if you're against that, then you really don't belong in a school, or in life, for all I care.

"Trust me bro, I'm liberal, I just don't think LGBT should exist"

High school might have been appropriate in the 2000s, these days it's important to start as early as 13. And not because I say so, but because kids are ALREADY BEING EXPOSED to that content. There's no parental control which can't be broken.
when i said teaching lgbtq i think everyone knows that i mean teaching them its okay

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

With a little luck.
maybe not sex, but its no issue at all to educate children at a young age.

the real problem here is, it is irrelevant what age its taught, the idiots against it are only against it because theyre the ones with the problem.

and if they choose to be the ones with the problem, then they should get over it, keep their opinions to themselves.

but no, they decide to try force their hate which then goes against everything about equal rights.

should you be forced to not have the right to something because others hate it?

someone who is gay/trans/bi has zero impact on anyone else at all, so it serves no point in all this hate targeted towards them.

someone could be feeling all of this at this age and grow up confused and hating themselves thinking theres something wrong with them because they dont fit into this "normal" image that the haters around them are trying to enforce.

I completely agree that this should be taught at a young age, so they know there is nothing wrong and its ok to be who they are, and educates others that it is also ok and normal for others to be like this, it makes them no different to anyone else.

and one thing else is hate/racism and all that is not a natural human instinct, it is something that is taught, learned and picked up later in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, SnooPINGAS