OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Beautifully engineered

Today we released the final public release of our flagship Web browser, Opera 9.5. Opera's cross-device expertise, support for open Web standards and commitment to speed and performance has culminated into our most powerful browser yet.

What's new in Opera 9.5:

Opera Link: Your bookmarks, Speed Dial and even notes taken in the Opera browser can follow you anywhere. Opera Link keeps you synchronized between any Opera 9.5 desktop browser and Opera Mini, Opera's free browser for your mobile phone. In Opera 9.5 write a note - copy directions, create shopping lists or jot down anything you need to remember - and access it on any Opera 9.5 browser by simply logging in.

Find anything: Remember a word from a page you've read earlier? Find that page easily with Quick Find. Just enter a word in the address bar to find matching text from any page you have visited.

Looking sharp: Opera makes a move to modernize its look and feel to a sharp new skin with clean lines and clear icons. The 'New Tab' button and other elements have been modified to make the switch to a better Web experience more intuitive. You may also select any of our platform-specific skins to help Opera's appearance adapt to your operating system of choice.

Strengthened defense against malware and phishing: Opera's Fraud Protection not only protects you from fraudulent Web sites, it is now the first browser publically available to protect you from malware and other malicious software on the Web. Powered by Haute Secure, Netcraft, and PhishTank, Opera's Fraud Protection technology automatically blocks offending Web pages to keep you out of harm's way.

Speed: Opera continues to lead in performance. Opera 9.5 makes dramatic speed improvements to the e-mail client, RSS feeds and the browser itself, so you can spend more time getting things done online.

Of course Opera 9.5 includes many features Opera users have already come to know and love. Speed Dial, notes, the ability to save and restore browsing sessions after you close the browser, a trash can for accidentally closed tabs or e-mails, mouse gestures and many others bring a fresh approach to browsing the Web. Discover Opera for yourself today.

jon.png
QUOTE said:
"Opera 9.5 represents the culmination of two years spent listening to our community and transforming our browser to add features and capabilities they have requested," said Jon von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera. "Opera 9.5 offers new possibilities and capabilities. It's faster, lighter and pushes us further out in front of other browsers, by blending the mobile and desktop worlds together in new and powerful ways. We invite everyone to join us as we continue to shape the way the Web will evolve."

Download:
Opera is a free download from http://www.opera.com

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a question. I installed Opera but i don't like the placement of the tabs, can i move the tab area below the address bar like firefox? and i don't liek how the tab bar is to thick and i make it a bit smaller (hight wise)

EDIT: I'm not liking Opera, i need the fox back! *uninstalls opera* yuck, Filth

Arkansaw

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Prime said:
I have a question. I installed Opera but i don't like the placement of the tabs, can i move the tab area below the address abr like firefox? and i don't liek how the tab bar is to thick and i make it a bit smaller (hight wise)

Yes, right click on the bar and click Customize. If you want the tab bar to stay on top but just right under the address area, you can move the address area to either the main bar or the personal bar while customizing. A visual tutorial for that can be found here.

The default skin for 9.5 may have a slightly oversized tab bar, but you can go to Appearance (Shift+F12) and try reverting to the Windows Native or choose from other skins and see if they work better for you.

Another possibility would be to resize icons, but that will affect all the buttons and not just the tabs.

elfsander

Trophies
Website
microse.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's because Opera is a Multiple Document Interface unlike FireFox. The documents (webpages) are seperated by tabs. The navigation-bar is part of the Document window.

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Arkansaw said:
Prime said:
I have a question. I installed Opera but i don't like the placement of the tabs, can i move the tab area below the address abr like firefox? and i don't liek how the tab bar is to thick and i make it a bit smaller (hight wise)

Yes, right click on the bar and click Customize. If you want the tab bar to stay on top but just right under the address area, you can move the address area to either the main bar or the personal bar while customizing. A visual tutorial for that can be found here.

The default skin for 9.5 may have a slightly oversized tab bar, but you can go to Appearance (Shift+F12) and try reverting to the Windows Native or choose from other skins and see if they work better for you.

Another possibility would be to resize icons, but that will affect all the buttons and not just the tabs.

Thanks but i uninstalled Opera i think i'll stick with the trusty fox.

PBC

What!? I can change this??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Opera, its what seperates the men from the firedogs. Soo much better then firefox in my experience...and has been for a longtime, as I've been using it for a longtime. Fast and useful in many ways. You simply have to give it a real chance. Only getting better it seems.

I'll get this as soon as I'm on my regular compy. The betas I've been using are eh..alittle buggy, but I'm hoping that this one will solve that problem.

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I was using the 9.5 beta for quite some time now (i guess around 4 months or longer).
Updated some minutes ago , changed skin but still have got this stupid new icons...
I want my old icons back.
Oh and it's seems like it really has improved from the better , it's a little bit faster in use IMHO.
smile.gif

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
Opera, both love it and hate it.

Love - Speed, still the browser that opens quickest for me.

Hate - The fact that Opera STILL doesn't display some pages correctly.

Firefox

Love - Extensions

Hate - Just about everything else. Slow. Very slow to start up. And btw I DON'T have alot of extensions, about 3-4 but the startup time is ridiculous sometimes >30 secs. And even installed fresh is significantly slower than Opera.

I would have ditched firefox long ago if it wasn't for Extensions, and the fact that its slightly better at displaying pages properly than Opera. Apart from that it's an overhyped piece of shit, I hope V3 makes major improvements.

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Xeijin said:
Opera, both love it and hate it.

Love - Speed, still the browser that opens quickest for me.

Hate - The fact that Opera STILL doesn't display some pages correctly.

Firefox

Love - Extensions

Hate - Just about everything else. Slow. Very slow to start up. And btw I DON'T have alot of extensions, about 3-4 but the startup time is ridiculous sometimes >30 secs. And even installed fresh is significantly slower than Opera.

I would have ditched firefox long ago if it wasn't for Extensions, and the fact that its slightly better at displaying pages properly than Opera. Apart from that it's an overhyped piece of shit, I hope V3 makes major improvements.

really? that sucks, it must be your computer mate.

PW1337

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just updated, and it looks great, and it opens faster than any other browser. It loads pages as fast as Firefox for me. I've been using Firefox for sometime now, and though I hardly ever used Opera, I see a good improvement. I still have Firefox as my main browser though, and I expect v3 makes it better.

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah, i just updated, it's awesome, though i got a bit dissapointed with the new skin, too dark.
found another skin and used that for like 10minutes, it was ok, but then someone uploaded "classic skin" , back to that for now, the best skin IMO.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I found the skin to be quite ugly...I think there was way too much contrast from the dark to the light colors. so I just switched back to classic...its minimalist but it works.

Why I would never switch back to Firefox? I'm addicted to Speed Dial.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I just found out firefox has it (Speed Dial) too...but I'm still used to Opera....it just 'feels right' to me despite the fact it doesn't render 100% of all web pages.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WUOq1dlZWxI?si=LBlEJwZfwtWShljP lol Denmark can't handle the spice