Homebrew OPEN_AGB_FIRM discussion thread

Mizuuugi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, in that case, I have no clue at all what's up. Does anyone else have the same problems? If not, maybe their 3DS really is going bad.
dont worry about it, i appreciate you trying to help me lol, ive been thinking about getting the dragon quest 2ds since ive been wanting it for a while so maybe ill just oder that and pray that it doesnt have the same problems because i am at my wits end here
Post automatically merged:

dont worry about it, i appreciate you trying to help me lol, ive been thinking about getting the dragon quest 2ds since ive been wanting it for a while so maybe ill just oder that and pray that it doesnt have the same problems because i am at my wits end here
oh btw i tried using injects of gba games. didnt change anything

Mizuuugi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i thought maybe dumping the bios of the og GBA somewhere could maybe fix the issue, Though i have no idea where to put them and what i need to do, if anyone has any idea id be glad to hear

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
The BIOS is already baked into the hardware. It won't make a difference but you can disable direct boot in the config.ini file unless you already get the GBA BIOS intro.

Mizuuugi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The BIOS is already baked into the hardware. It won't make a difference but you can disable direct boot in the config.ini file unless you already get the GBA BIOS intro.
and if i get the gameboy intro?

https://glazedbelmont.github.io/gbabiosdump/ so i basically followed this tutroial and got the last file but im not sure where to put it or how to check the hashes
again not sure if this will change anything but i thought it was worth a shot

Last edited by Mizuuugi,

Rya687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

https://glazedbelmont.github.io/gbabiosdump/ so i basically followed this tutroial and got the last file but im not sure where to put it or how to check the hashes
There really is no point in obtaining the GBA's BIOS. Like ghjfdtg said, it already exists on the 3DS' hardware and is being used. I don't know if AGB_FIRM even supports loading the BIOS from an external file. And even if it did, the only reason to use that feature would be if you wanted to use a modded BIOS for some reason.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Maybe I'm late to the party (I had problems to access to my account here for some reason) but I was talking with the main dev about your issues and all points that your FCRAM may be damaged/faulty.

open_agb_firm is NOT by any means an emulator, it runs on real GBA hardware, so your situation must be related to a hardware issue. It uses the FCRAM chip as a cartridge emulator, see it as a "virtual flashcard" so any issues or physical damage to it will cause problems,

For example, I had issues with Mega Man & Bass on my New3DS XL because it wasn't drawing some BG effects, and I managed to solve it by opening my console and reflowing the FCRAM chip, so maybe doing this will fix your current issues.

EDIT: profi200 opened a poll on the project's repo, the more answers he gets, the more closer we will get GBA Colorspace Correction implemented in official releases. Go leave your answer here:

https://github.com/profi200/open_agb_firm/discussions/135#discussioncomment-7278080

for those who don't know, colorspace correction is already working but needs input lag tests, and some beta testers already have it, it gives results similar to these:

1697312706405.png

Last edited by DSoryu,

anod221

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hello! For creating the border.bgr, which using in no scaling, I deployed a page in cloudflare. Using this page, you can easily get your own border online.
Link: oaftool.anod.cc/border/?en

Mizuuugi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i have a save file for a rom i have, but for some reason everytime i start it up it starts up like theres no save.
the file names match and theyre in the same folder, any ideas?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You might need to convert the save file.

Here's more information, and a tool you can try:

https://github.com/profi200/open_agb_firm/issues/43

But I warn you, the sav file you have on the open_agb_folder might have been wiped already. When a save file is not correct for the emulator, or software running the game, it tends to be replaced with a new one, so I hope you had a backup.

Mizuuugi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But I warn you, the sav file you have on the open_agb_folder might have been wiped already. When a save file is not correct for the emulator, or software running the game, it tends to be replaced with a new one, so I hope you had a backup.
Thankfully i have a backup, ill try the convertor
Thanks a bunch <33

sorry for being a little bit of a dummy but how do i use that? i just see lines of text and no where to upload a file or something

Last edited by Mizuuugi,

Mizuuugi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Mizuuugi,

Ridley12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried using this to play a ROM hack of FireRed, but the screen froze at the Game Boy animation (like it would on a real GBA, as I've learned.)

Assuming this only happens with ROM hacks and the like, is there a setting I can change to allow hacks to play?

Last edited by Ridley12,

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OAF is using the real GBA hardware inside your 3DS. It's not an emulator. If a hack is so sloppy that it won't run on a real GBA, it won't run on OAF, either. You'll have to use an emulator or play a better hack that works on real hardware.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I tried using this to play a ROM hack of FireRed, but the screen froze at the Game Boy animation (like it would on a real GBA, as I've learned.)

Assuming this only happens with ROM hacks and the like, is there a setting I can change to allow hacks to play?
That sounds as a corrupted header issue (It still baffles me why rom hackers don't bother to fix something really easy to do).
You can fix the header by yourself by checking that everything is correct using a HEX editor and the documentation here, or use GBATA which usually can do it for you most of the times (not always).

Another option would be to set open_agb_firm to skip the BIOS intro. According to the readme:

bool directBoot - Skip GBA BIOS intro at game startup

• Default: false

But if that rom hack was made for VBA, don't expect it to fully work on real hardware, it could crash at some point.

Last edited by DSoryu,

WizardWell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What's the latest release for this? Is it on the GitHub? I'm curious if they could ever implement a sleep mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay