Gaming open-ended games?

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Can anyone recommend open-ended games like Animal Crossing?

It need not be exactly like it (like Enchanted Folk/Magicians Quest) -- just something not so linear.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
pokemon is linear IMO. you have a set rout you have to follow, only you can devide a bit from that rout but not too much.

Sanderino

I guess you only know what you got 'till it's gone
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, The first part is Linear, but when you are in the 2nd region, you can go in wich order to the towns you want.

And hey, what games aren't linear?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DCG said:
pokemon is linear IMO. you have a set rout you have to follow, only you can devide a bit from that rout but not too much.

It's pretty much open ended after the main storyline ends.

No one wants to mention GTA: CW? By far one of the best DS games out there, and it's open world.

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nintendogs
tongue.gif

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well there is Transformers Autobots and Decepticons, they are kinda open-world
And call me crazy, but I would consider Castlevaina Dawn of Sorrows and Portrait of Ruin, a mixture of RPG, Open world, and Platforming
Last one would be Spider-man 3 and Web of Shadows.
Forgot Megaman ZX and ZX Advent.

Peefree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A Gay Little Cat Boy said:
And call me crazy, but I would consider Castlevaina Dawn of Sorrows and Portrait of Ruin, a mixture of RPG, Open world, and Platforming

The Castlevania games are pretty linear. You may be able to explore a lot but you can't get past certain parts in the castle without having first gotten new skills or seals.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Peefree said:
A Gay Little Cat Boy said:

The Castlevania games are pretty linear. You may be able to explore a lot but you can't get past certain parts in the castle without having first gotten new skills or seals.
True, but same can be said of GTA games (like San Andreas) You couldn't get to the islands until you finished the missions on the island you were on.
Plus looking at the games on the DS, next to GTA CW and few other open-world games, it's one of the closet things I can think of that would be concerted a style of "open-world" game play

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I did like AC very very much, and I have tried those.

I enjoyed all of the HM games -- I personally preferred the more traditional ones (e.g. Sunshine Islands), but they often have some excessively tedious aspects (e.g. mining in FOMT, horrible controls in IOH). And I find stamina to be really really irritating. But the series certainly has a lot of other things to like about them.

And HM is kind of what I meant by "open-ended" -- sure, GTA:CW and (to a lesser degree) Pokemon have open worlds, but they are very very linear in that you have to do exactly certain things in exactly a certain order.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Demonbart said:
Nintendogs
tongue.gif

That's actually likely the closest thing to Animal Crossing in that regard. You can check in with your dogs whenever, take them for a stroll, buy stuff for them, etc. But it never ends. It's a cute, soothing diversion.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
regnad said:

I enjoyed all of the HM games -- I personally preferred the more traditional ones (e.g. Sunshine Islands), but they often have some excessively tedious aspects (e.g. mining in FOMT, horrible controls in IOH). And I find stamina to be really really irritating. But the series certainly has a lot of other things to like about them.

And HM is kind of what I meant by "open-ended" -- sure, GTA:CW and (to a lesser degree) Pokemon have open worlds, but they are very very linear in that you have to do exactly certain things in exactly a certain order.

Ah, I get what you mean. So basically they just kinda present you the game and the rest is up to you? Like not really much of a storyline, just kinda do what you want and build on yourself?

Um, you can probably do some endless mode or something in one of those RTS games like Anno.

There's Sid Meier's Pirates! which might be something you'd be into (the remake is on the PSP, Xbox, and eventually the Wii). It's very open world. You get your ship, occasionally a task, and how you do them or when you want to do them is up to you.

EDIT: Pirates! is also on the PC/Steam, Mac, and Xbox 360.

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Guild McCommunist said:
regnad said:

Ah, I get what you mean. So basically they just kinda present you the game and the rest is up to you? Like not really much of a storyline, just kinda do what you want and build on yourself?

Um, you can probably do some endless mode or something in one of those RTS games like Anno.

There's Sid Meier's Pirates! which might be something you'd be into (the remake is on the PSP, Xbox, and eventually the Wii). It's very open world. You get your ship, occasionally a task, and how you do them or when you want to do them is up to you.

EDIT: Pirates! is also on the PC/Steam, Mac, and Xbox 360.

Is there a DS version of this game?

Jeff88

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I remember a game that looks like Animal Crossing, but the setting is in a magic school. I tried it for awhile, and I think its pretty good.

Can't remember the name though, I'm sure someone here would know.

suruz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jeff88 said:
I remember a game that looks like Animal Crossing, but the setting is in a magic school. I tried it for awhile, and I think its pretty good.

Can't remember the name though, I'm sure someone here would know.

QUOTEIt need not be exactly like it (like Enchanted Folk/Magicians Quest)

Yeah, the OP mentioned that game already
tongue.gif
It's called Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times (USA) or Enchanted Folk and the School of Wizardry (UK and Europe)... I have no idea why they changed the name, lol O_O

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well you've also got game like korg-10 and jam sessions, but those are more instruments than a game... Lemme see what's more.....

Oh theme park, is just like roller coaster tycoon, it's ported over to the ds, but is almost the same as the old windows version... You also have zoo tycoon, but haven't played those, but those park building games are mostly only mission based and how you do it is up to you (especially theme park, which only expects you to make X amounts of money). Chrono trigger is also in a way open-minded, the endings depend on what you do. But it is extremely linear in before that because it's an RPG, plus nmost endings are really easy to miss.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries