Only 11% of Wii games score above 80%

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by cubin', May 2, 2008.

May 2, 2008
  1. cubin'
    OP

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Interesting statistics which paint a pretty clear picture IMO how the quality of Wii games have been generally poor.

What do you guys think? Is the Wii what you expected in the games department?

I don't agree with every single bit of the article but he makes some good points.

http://gamefunk.net/?p=57/

2. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Here's an idea. Buy the games you want. If a company wants to make a quick buck off of unsuspecting mothers who don't know any better, then let them. I think the logic they follow is this, if we're going to make a horse game, let's do it cheap and it'll still sell to our target audience of little girls. If we make the best horse game the world has ever seen, are we really going to sell that many more copies to justify the cost? Boys and 20-somethings aren't going to flock out to buy it either way.

3. cubin'
    OP

Australia

Exactly. The problem is those unsuspecting mothers make up a large percentage of the Wii's demographic. If developers make shitty games and still get lots of sales they're going to keep doing that instead of risk a high quality , high budget game that's actually fun to play.

Not much we can do [​IMG]

4. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    It's not just unsuspecting parents who fork out for the licensed stuff and the animal games, it's us informed parents, too ...

Kids want what they want ... simple as that ... and if you have girls who are into animals, then animal games is what you buy them ...

5. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Kids don't know what they want.

6. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    This is a situation where piracy solves issues.

Make better games and I'll buy them, else I'll just download the shovelware for my kids.

7. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    My kids all have original games ... their mothers are insistent upon that point ...

8. MC DUI

Australia
    I don't have my kid yet (On the way!) but I may face this issue with the wife as well...

I do it to her already though, downloading games that she wants if I consider them unworthy, she whinges but when she stops playing the game after 2 hours and never touches it again I feel justified.

9. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    Yes, very true.

If a kid says he wants to go skydiving, do you let the kid do it?

Edit: Yes my example sucks, I can't think anymore

10. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    "This is an inferior product, so it is okay to steal."

11. PlooBloo

Member PlooBloo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I bought my Wii for a select few games. >_> Everything else does suck, imho.

12. MC DUI

Australia
    And? What're you the morality police?

13. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    No, but he is an admin on this site lol

Plus, he was pointing out a commonly used 'argument' for piracy ...

The counter-argument goes like this ... "If you were lazy at work one day ... you showed up, but you just didn't really do any work ... would you be happy for your boss not to pay you?"

14. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    Those statistics and graphs are misleading, they should really have a graph which had bars for each 10% score (0-10...90-100). Having uneven groups and entirely missing out the middle section can make things seem much more 'extreme'.

On the other hand there are many 'shovelware' games, and although they are bad, they make kids happy (mostly) whereas there are enough games (for someone who buys games...) in the top end for the more discerning player.

Piracy is not any 'worse' on the better quality games - if anything it is worse on the small budget games that probably won't sell as well (as there is a vast range) - games like Twilight Princess will sell millions anyway. Further to this is the point that you aren't just 'punishing' the bad developers, but a lot of the cost of the game goes to the retailer, which will lose just as much on a pirated 'bad' game to a pirated 'good' one.

15. iffy525

Member iffy525 not famous

United States
    lol, he's not an admin. Look a little closer.

16. scousethief

Member scousethief GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I always try before i buy ie i purchase after i download and play the game, morality police ? the quick answer to that is if i purchase a game and i dont like it do i get a full refund ? generally NO in fact i dont know of any shop that will give me my hard earned cash back after ive opened the packageing and played it even if it was only for 30 seconds ,advertising and game trailers show their products to exciting and very playable, then you go out and buy them and theyre crap. The real answer is that if games companies actually turned out something interesting, playable and the main words "had good replay value" then they would sell alot more than they do but they dont, they churn out repetitive crap and EXPECT us to spend our money on their product, when we dont they cry PIRACY which in some cases may be true but not all, Since chipping my wii i have purchased 53 games all at full price and binned around 80ish thats approx £3200 in my pocket not theirs.

Just to add i have a 360 and there arent that many great games for it either, there are some good but they are outweighed by the bad the same as the pc , asassins creed springs to mind looks nice but repetitive boring go here and kill him missions over and over and overyawn did i fall asleep ?

17. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    I was being humorous [​IMG]

18. cubin'
    OP

Australia
    There's HEAPS of great games for 360. Dig a little deeper and you'll find gold.

Haven't touched my Wii for a while. I'm looking forward to Nintendo's next console [​IMG]

19. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    Well the problem is, magazine average reviews being 80%+ doesn't guarantee a good game.

And high sales of consoles = more shovelware coming out for that console.
    DS suffers from shovelware, PS2 suffered from shovelware (and to some extent, still does)

It's almost natural.
    Who here bought their PS3/360 for Sony/MS first party games?
    Who here bought their Wii for Nintendo games?

An European buying PS3 just for Gran Turismo 5 makes total sense to me,
    but buying Wii just for Cocoto Kart Racer instead of Mario Kart Wii? That's nuts.

20. DjFIL

Member DjFIL GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Yeah, this is the unfortunate reason why I got a modchip for my Wii... and I still buy games for my 360. I do get still a fair amount of play from my Wii, but it's all "average" titles that keep me interested for an hour or two (with few rare exceptional titles)... but on my 360 every game I buy (including a heap of XBox Live Arcade games I own) are what I consider an A+ title, even though my purchased xbox 360 list (unless including arcade titles maybe) is only 1/4th that of my burnt wii collection.