Gaming Only 11% of Wii games score above 80%

cubin'

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Interesting statistics which paint a pretty clear picture IMO how the quality of Wii games have been generally poor.

What do you guys think? Is the Wii what you expected in the games department?

QUOTE said:
Nintendo’s latest entrant into the console war has no doubt been the company’s most successful entry since the original Nintendo Entertainment System in the 80s. The Wii has managed to continually sell out in stores since its release in November of 2006. In just a meager year and half, its already managed to outsell its predecessor, the Gamecube. It shattered the PS2’s record of selling 10 million consoles in the US by a near 4 months. It currently holds the most market share out of the next gen systems. Nintendo, without a doubt, must be extremely proud of Miyamoto’s latest brain child.

That being said, there is something seriously wrong with the Nintendo Wii. No, its not that it doesn’t have the graphical capabilities of the 360/PS3. Nor is it the lackluster online service Nintendo provides either. It isn’t the paltry amount of hard drive space, sometimes unresponsive accelerometers of the nunchuck, or even the chuckle-inspiring name of the console. Its the software library.

BY COMPARISON

wiibadgamesgraph.jpg

Since its release in 2005, there have been some 374 games released for the XBox 360. Of the 374, 86 titles have received a ‘good’ rating(an average ranking of 80% or higher, as per GameRankings). 92 have received ‘poor’ ratings(an average of lower than 60%). That means about 26% of the games for the 360 are ‘good’, and about 24% are considered trash. The PS3 has seen 122 games released, with 40(33%) good games and 20(17%) poor games(ironic considering the most common argument against the PS3 is a lack of good games).

The Wii, released alongside the PS3 in November 2006, has seen a considerable 189 games released. Of these titles, a whoping 69, or 37% are complete trash. On the flipside, there are only 20 good games, making up a minuscule 11% - and of those 20, 4 of them are ports of last generation PS2/Gamecube games! What happened?

One word.
Shovelware

WHAT IS SHOVELWARE?

Shovelware is a term used to denote software churned out solely to turn a quick buck. Generally, there is very little effort put into these titles, and it shows. When you think of shovelware, titles like movie tie-ins or the latest Hannah Montanna games should immediately come to mind.

So how did this happen? How did so much shovelware infestate the Wii’s library? A multitude of factors have contributed to this situation.

First and foremost is the way in which Nintendo has marketed the Wii. Nintendo has been very vocal on wanting to expand its audience beyond the traditional core gamers. “We want to broaden the definition of what a video game is, to create games for people whether they are 5 or 95, whether they are men or women” Nintendo’s Senior Managing Director Shigeru Miyamoto told Times Online.

As a result, you now have a much broader audience buying games for the Wii. And when this new demographic is shopping for a game, they no longer do the typical research that the core gamers have done in the past. This new demographic are the type that would opt to pick “Pirates of the Carribean: At World’s End”(average review 54%) over “No More Heroes”(average 83%) to satisfy their sword fighting needs. They buy on name brand recognition almost exclusively.

Another factor that has lead to shovelware latching on to the Wii is the low development costs of software for the console. Because the Wii’s technical specs aren’t as advanced as the PS3 and 360, the price of developing a game for the Wii is considerably less. Price is a huge factor in shovelware - these games are meant to make a quick buck, and the less thats spent in development results in more profit. Wii projects are “… easily one fourth, one fifth, even one sixth of some 360, PS3 projects” admits Dan Borth of Red Fly Studios in a recent interview with Gamasutra. On top of this, development for the Wii is also easier, resulting in a smaller time frame for the completion of these games, again meaning more profit.

Finally, the Wii’s excellent sales numbers are the final nail in the coffin. Of course, to make the most money, the game has to be released on the platform with most hardware out there. This was the case with the PS2 last generation, and again is the case this generation. Though, even in comparison to the PS2, the Wii has an extraordinary amount of garbage games. Of the 1500 or so released PS2 games, about 28% were junk shovelware, and 21% were good games - a 10% difference on both sides!

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE?

The fault of this lies both in the hands of Nintendo and the gamers. Nintendo as a corporation should want to protect the image of its console. Right now, Nintendo has to enforce some quality control measures. Sony has a nasty reputation amongst developers for declining projects that didn’t show off the power of the Playstation brand. If Nintendo wants the Wii’s garbage collector reputation to improve, they should take a trip back to the 16 bit era when they were a bit stricter.

The onus also falls on us, the gamers, as well. We put the money into developers hands by purchasing the games. Support developers that put out that extra effort. Demand quality, and don’t settle for less! Hopefully a time will come when every title released for the Wii is truly innovative and fresh.

I don't agree with every single bit of the article but he makes some good points.

http://gamefunk.net/?p=57/

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's an idea. Buy the games you want. If a company wants to make a quick buck off of unsuspecting mothers who don't know any better, then let them. I think the logic they follow is this, if we're going to make a horse game, let's do it cheap and it'll still sell to our target audience of little girls. If we make the best horse game the world has ever seen, are we really going to sell that many more copies to justify the cost? Boys and 20-somethings aren't going to flock out to buy it either way.

cubin'

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jumpman17 said:
Here's an idea. Buy the games you want. If a company wants to make a quick buck off of unsuspecting mothers who don't know any better, then let them. I think the logic they follow is this, if we're going to make a horse game, let's do it cheap and it'll still sell to our target audience of little girls. If we make the best horse game the world has ever seen, are we really going to sell that many more copies to justify the cost? Boys and 20-somethings aren't going to flock out to buy it either way.

Exactly. The problem is those unsuspecting mothers make up a large percentage of the Wii's demographic. If developers make shitty games and still get lots of sales they're going to keep doing that instead of risk a high quality , high budget game that's actually fun to play.

Not much we can do
frown.gif

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's not just unsuspecting parents who fork out for the licensed stuff and the animal games, it's us informed parents, too ...

Kids want what they want ... simple as that ... and if you have girls who are into animals, then animal games is what you buy them ...

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thebobevil said:
It's not just unsuspecting parents who fork out for the licensed stuff and the animal games, it's us informed parents, too ...

Kids want what they want ... simple as that ... and if you have girls who are into animals, then animal games is what you buy them ...

This is a situation where piracy solves issues.

Make better games and I'll buy them, else I'll just download the shovelware for my kids.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thebobevil said:
My kids all have original games ... their mothers are insistent upon that point ...

I don't have my kid yet (On the way!) but I may face this issue with the wife as well...

I do it to her already though, downloading games that she wants if I consider them unworthy, she whinges but when she stops playing the game after 2 hours and never touches it again I feel justified.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
MC DUI said:
thebobevil said:

Make better games and I'll buy them, else I'll just download the shovelware for my kids.
"This is an inferior product, so it is okay to steal."

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Heran Bago said:
MC DUI said:
thebobevil said:

And? What're you the morality police?

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MC DUI said:
Heran Bago said:
MC DUI said:
thebobevil said:

No, but he is an admin on this site lol

Plus, he was pointing out a commonly used 'argument' for piracy ...

The counter-argument goes like this ... "If you were lazy at work one day ... you showed up, but you just didn't really do any work ... would you be happy for your boss not to pay you?"

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Those statistics and graphs are misleading, they should really have a graph which had bars for each 10% score (0-10...90-100). Having uneven groups and entirely missing out the middle section can make things seem much more 'extreme'.

On the other hand there are many 'shovelware' games, and although they are bad, they make kids happy (mostly) whereas there are enough games (for someone who buys games...) in the top end for the more discerning player.

Piracy is not any 'worse' on the better quality games - if anything it is worse on the small budget games that probably won't sell as well (as there is a vast range) - games like Twilight Princess will sell millions anyway. Further to this is the point that you aren't just 'punishing' the bad developers, but a lot of the cost of the game goes to the retailer, which will lose just as much on a pirated 'bad' game to a pirated 'good' one.

iffy525

not famous
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
thebobevil said:
MC DUI said:
Heran Bago said:
MC DUI said:
thebobevil said:

No, but he is an admin on this site lol
lol, he's not an admin. Look a little closer.

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
I always try before i buy ie i purchase after i download and play the game, morality police ? the quick answer to that is if i purchase a game and i dont like it do i get a full refund ? generally NO in fact i dont know of any shop that will give me my hard earned cash back after ive opened the packageing and played it even if it was only for 30 seconds ,advertising and game trailers show their products to exciting and very playable, then you go out and buy them and theyre crap. The real answer is that if games companies actually turned out something interesting, playable and the main words "had good replay value" then they would sell alot more than they do but they dont, they churn out repetitive crap and EXPECT us to spend our money on their product, when we dont they cry PIRACY which in some cases may be true but not all, Since chipping my wii i have purchased 53 games all at full price and binned around 80ish thats approx £3200 in my pocket not theirs.

Just to add i have a 360 and there arent that many great games for it either, there are some good but they are outweighed by the bad the same as the pc , asassins creed springs to mind looks nice but repetitive boring go here and kill him missions over and over and overyawn did i fall asleep ?

cubin'

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
scousethief said:
Just to add i have a 360 and there arent that many great games for it either, there are some good but they are outweighed by the bad the same as the pc , asassins creed springs to mind looks nice but repetitive boring go here and kill him missions over and over and overyawn did i fall asleep ?

There's HEAPS of great games for 360. Dig a little deeper and you'll find gold.

Haven't touched my Wii for a while. I'm looking forward to Nintendo's next console
biggrin.gif

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well the problem is, magazine average reviews being 80%+ doesn't guarantee a good game.

And high sales of consoles = more shovelware coming out for that console.
DS suffers from shovelware, PS2 suffered from shovelware (and to some extent, still does)

It's almost natural.
Who here bought their PS3/360 for Sony/MS first party games?
Who here bought their Wii for Nintendo games?

An European buying PS3 just for Gran Turismo 5 makes total sense to me,
but buying Wii just for Cocoto Kart Racer instead of Mario Kart Wii? That's nuts.

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, this is the unfortunate reason why I got a modchip for my Wii... and I still buy games for my 360. I do get still a fair amount of play from my Wii, but it's all "average" titles that keep me interested for an hour or two (with few rare exceptional titles)... but on my 360 every game I buy (including a heap of XBox Live Arcade games I own) are what I consider an A+ title, even though my purchased xbox 360 list (unless including arcade titles maybe) is only 1/4th that of my burnt wii collection.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/