Hacking Okay, hands down, what card to buy?

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so its me is it.........

Well i own a supercard lite (slot 2) and a supercard SCHC (slot 1) both work great together

Anyway since i have the supercard i may as well big it up :-)

1)Its got all the same functions as the cyclods but costs less

2) functions are...real time save/real time load/cheats/game guide/SCHC support/soft reset on most commercial and homebrew games..apps/more....

3)Supercard team have been with the DS from very early on and so have a lot of experience

4) Also support all there cards from the oldest to the newest with updates which is quite something

5)excellent support forums in quite a few languages

6) Great packaging ,like a dvd case with foam inside with spaces cut out for the SC and card reader,nice and solid and will protect your SC in the post

7)Micro sd reader is actually pretty good and doesn't feel cheap

8)Comes with driver cd so if you don't have internet access you can still get your SC up and running

CONS.......

Occasionally corrupts the micro sd card but a quick format sorts it but don't let this put you off as its probably just my cheap SD card :-)

The os is a little slow to get going as it uses an older version of moonshel (moonshel is an mp3/movie/picture & text viewer)

paul

pesaroso

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot for all of your effort, really appreciate it!

I can see that the fewer of you all have had problems with the CycloDS, so maybe I'll go for that one
wink.gif

It's either that one, or the DSTT, cause she's interested in saving some money.

I'm browsing through DealExtreme now, looking for some microSD cards..
The CycloDS reads Micro, right? Not just SDHC?

Is this a killer to buy?
Kingston MicroSD TransFlash 2GB Memory Card (JAPAN)
Price: $10.61

Or is there better labels/quality stuff out there?

Thank you!

decayed.cell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have the DSTT, Acekard 2 and Supercard DS One.

No offence, but I think the DSTT is shit in stock configuration, if you don't factor in its amazing speed. The build quality is terrible, it gets stuck in both of my DS Lites and yes I do have the newer batch (I think) as the microSD doesn't stick out at all. The menu is laggy as hell, if you use the sidebar scroller and scroll to the end it doesn't update the gamelist, instead it sits there and then loads up whatever games would be at the end of the list.

The Supercard DS One is pretty good, very fast start up but it takes a bit of getting used to because of its extra features.

The Acekard 2 would be somewhere bewteen the DSTT and the SCDS1 but the GUI is excellent, very responsive and user friendly.

I don't own the CycloDS but I have used it - seems like a pretty easy to use cart but it costs wayyyy too much for my liking.

You can get the Acekard 2 from Oztion for 38 bucks shipped. I have personally bought all three of my carts from this seller and can assure you he is reliable. So that pretty much blows the Supercard DS One being expensive card

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd have to say Acekard 2, it's cheap and very user friendly.

The only downside is that there have been a few 'bad' ones recently, though you should be able to send it back if that happens.

As to where to buy from, Dealextreme (.com) is by far the cheapest, but be prepared for >1 week shipping.

pesaroso

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gah, she didn't really want to spend the money on a Cyclo, so I guess I'm finally between SuperCard and AceKard 2..

But what about memory? Is it really a lot better to buy SDHC over MicroSD, or are they basically the same?

Thank you!

decayed.cell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Depends if you're going to actually use it for music. I don't think the DS Lite lasts that long for music playback. Ah and I didn't notice you're in the US ignore my Oztion comment

Koekje

Trophies
Website
supertosti.furion.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
decayed.cell said:

No offence, but I think the DSTT is shit in stock configuration, if you don't factor in its amazing speed. The build quality is terrible, it gets stuck in both of my DS Lites and yes I do have the newer batch (I think) as the microSD doesn't stick out at all. The menu is laggy as hell, if you use the sidebar scroller and scroll to the end it doesn't update the gamelist, instead it sits there and then loads up whatever games would be at the end of the list.
Sigh, do this: Create a folder called Games, in there you dump all your games, now download the newest OS (v1.13 atm) from http://www.ndstt.com/english/download_en.htm . Now place all the contents of your SDcard onto your PC, format your SDcard and put everything back, including the new OS, don't use anything from the old one (except the skin if you wish to).
Voilá.

pesaroso

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I hate myself cause I suck so hard when it comes to decitions
frown.gif

I'm either going for an Acekard 2, or the SuperDS 1, cause of the easy-to-use GUI, fast OS and they're all good in ROM compability.

Also, they're cheaper then the Cyclo.

But what about memory? I read about Kingston being the best?

decayed.cell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Koekje said:
decayed.cell said:

Sigh, do this: Create a folder called Games, in there you dump all your games, now download the newest OS (v1.13 atm) from http://www.ndstt.com/english/download_en.htm . Now place all the contents of your SDcard onto your PC, format your SDcard and put everything back, including the new OS, don't use anything from the old one (except the skin if you wish to).
Voilá.

Sigh, actually have been running 1.13 for the last week, and the latest now is 1.14. No difference, I didn't have any skins anyway, and I formatted the card before putting anything on there in the first place. For build quality - check out the video on my blog

QUOTE(pesaroso @ Jul 10 2008, 10:12 AM)
I hate myself cause I suck so hard when it comes to decitions
frown.gif

I'm either going for an Acekard 2, or the SuperDS 1, cause of the easy-to-use GUI, fast OS and they're all good in ROM compability.

Also, they're cheaper then the Cyclo.

But what about memory? I read about Kingston being the best?
Kingston is generally very reliable, lifetime warranty, in my opinion theres minimal difference between the brands. If she's listening music then the Supercard DS One will play music out of the box - Acekard 2 requires installation of Moonshell afaik

pesaroso

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for all your help, I ordered a SuperCard DS1 for my gf, and I just submitted to the compo here, hoping to win a cart for myself
biggrin.gif

You've been very helpful, each and everyone of you, thank you
wub.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @Psionic Roshambo, you planning on reusing the 580?