Okay, hands down, what card to buy?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by pesaroso, Jul 8, 2008.

Jul 8, 2008
  1. pesaroso
    OP

Newcomer pesaroso Advanced Member

United States
    Okay, I guess I'm not not the only one in here with my head upside down, wondering what card to buy. R4, M3, Cyclo, DSTT, Acekard, SuperCard.. sigh..

I will try to narrow it down, if you want to help me [​IMG]

It's for my gf, she's not the super-number1-tech-girl, so.. basically:
    - High rom compatibility, with DS downlod play etc.
    - Easy OS, hopefully with drag-and-drop (I thought SuperCard was a winner untill I read about all the stuff you had to apply to get certian games to work..)
    - Not too expensive
    - Good build quality

Doesn't really matter if it supports SDHC etc, I think she's good with a 2 or 4GB card, so..

Anyone got a good tip? And why would you pick the card you're suggesting?

Thank you for all your help [​IMG]

2. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    Well the R4 is good for easy use, for me anyway but is very old and not much capability with all the new features of the new flashcarts..

The Cyclo is meant to be fairly easy to use and has been voted one of the best flashcarts on GBATemp.. Not sure about drag and drop, because i dont have one..

M3, I believe is good but not the best out there

DSTT, maybe but it might be a bit more complicated than the others.. Not sure though..

Acekard, Heard it was good, but again, compatibility issues

Supercard, is obviously out of your books because of all the patching that you have to do..

I only have an R4, so I believe it is good, but it is much more expensive and outdated then the rest of these flashcarts... I think its good but you will have to wait for other people to reply because my short descriptions of the other flashcarts may and probably are, a bit hard on them and I wouldnt know what they are like.. Im just giving my impression on them from other users that have them on GBATemp...

Hope this helps a bit, and I hope I dont get flamed for my opinion and impression on some of these flashcarts.. [​IMG]

3. mong

Newcomer mong Member

Canada
    I have a cyclo and got an acekard2 for a friend of mine and both of them are pretty much drag and drop. Basically, unrar the firmwire, and drop it on the microsd. Then all you have to do is drop the game on the microsd card.

If you are willing to spend a little more, the cycloDS is now at around 36$ at dealextreme which is the cheapest I've ever seen. The acekard2 is ~23$ at dealextreme if you are going the cheap way =P

4. krazykirk

Member krazykirk GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    R4's suck. Don't get one [​IMG]

They're outdated, and no longer continuously updated.

The cyclo is the top of the line cart, it has features unrivaled by any other cart.

The Supercard One is also good, with plenty of features.

If you're looking for a budget card which will still do the job well, get a Acekard2.

All of these choices have drag and drop compatability (you're thinking of old old old carts which need roms to be patched), have good build quality, and are reasonably priced.

Keep in mind that the cyclo is a top of the line card, and is priced accoringly.

So to fit your needs, I recommend the Acekard2, with the combination of price, ease of use, and quality.

5. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States

well, not meaning to flame ya, but I use the Supercard DS:One and it's just drag and drop raw roms straight onto the card. Doesn't get much easier than that.

6. ShortFuse

Member ShortFuse GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I initially bought a DS-X which was great for the time, but the development team abandoned it.
    CycloDS has a very very active development team. I made the choice to get a CycloDS because of Team Cyclops' speed in releasing their CycloWiz updates (one of the first to get Super Mario Galaxy working and Brawl's DVD9s). It's a group I trust and the CycloDS hasn't let me down. It certainly beats other with it's in-game savestates, brightness adjust and ability to go back to the CycloDS menu w/o rebooting. And the firmware upgrades are always good.

They also include a USB MicroSDHC reader, so if you have a usb port, you're good to go. You can get a 4GB MicroSD card on Amazon or $20 (maybe less now)

7. pesaroso
    OP

United States
    Thank you so much for your replies! Really means a lot [​IMG]

I think I'll narrow it even more down to the CycloDS, SuperCard One and Acekard 2..

Since it's ~13USD seperating them, I don't really care which card, I can afford to buy the most "expensive" one [​IMG]

I've heard lots of good things about the CycloDS, but I don't know anything about its OS and if it's easy-to-use. I've read about the SuperCard and Acekard 2, and I think they're very solid candidates as well.

Is there any chart where I can compare'em or something? Since I'm only going for an easy OS and good compability with ROMs, maybe the Acekard 2 is the way to go? Or...?

Thanks again! [​IMG]

8. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I would recommend the DSTT because it matches most of your needs:

- High rom compatibility, with DS downlod play etc.
    In my experience, everything works well without a hassle. Except for Bomberman. It lags when you go to Wi-Fi.

- Easy OS, hopefully with drag-and-drop (I thought SuperCard was a winner untill I read about all the stuff you had to apply to get certian games to work..)
    Just make a folder for the files and voila, you're done!

- Not too expensive
    Definitely!

- Good build quality
    Well there is a new batch now. The microSD doesn't show that much unlike the past batch.

9. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    Thats alright.. That was just my first impression from some of the people that have been having problems around GBATemp.. Ive never thought to actually look at the good points.. [​IMG]

10. pesaroso
    OP

United States
    Okay, so with the DSTT, I'm now comparing 4 carts.. Sigh, I wish the compare-site here at GBAtemp was still active..

Anyone knows where else I can look to see what ppl are writing about the carts? With their personal opinion? Not that GBAtemp is not good; it's the best, but I can't really compare the carts here.

Thank you so much for your answers so far! I've filtered out some carts due to your posts, now I only need to filter it even more.. [​IMG]

11. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Actually you can use the DSTT's firmware on a Scds1 so you could skip DSTT.

12. Koekje

Member Koekje GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I agree with this, i have also a DSTT.
    Just create a folder called Games, pop your games in there and you're ready to go! (Don't forget the OS!) This card has the fastest loading times of all cards.
    "Except for Bomberman. It lags when you go to Wi-Fi." Didn't experienced this, maybe slow connection?
    The build quality is excellent, i have seen a few R4's which just teared apart into 2 pieces after a few days, the spring slot is also very good, if you don't handle it as Godzilla or The Mighty Hulk.

13. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    I think you were thinking about the Slot-2 cards. The SCDS1 SDHC does not require any patching.

It's also better than the DSTT, because it can use the firmware to use it as a DSTT.

So, what's the point of having just one thing, when you can have 2 different things in one?

14. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    3 if you count Ysmenu.

15. Koekje

Netherlands
    YSmenu is 10 times slower then the official DSTT menu, it also doesn't have any options, no backlight settings (so your games will always be in the darkest option), no reset, nothing. My official DSTT menu does have alphabetically sorting and all, no need to use YSmenu.

16. rubaducky

Newcomer rubaducky Member

Australia
    If you have no quarrels about price, then the CycloDS is your best buy. Simple interface as hell, very high game compatibility, and it just feels solid and sturdy like a real DS cartridge.
    The firmware is stored on the card also, so you can update your microSD card and not have to "reinstall" the OS with it.

Life lesson for you - Due to the budget price and rave reviews,I bought my gf an Acekard2 a few months back, as she's learning Spanish. I got her "My Spanish Coach" and after about a month of solid playing (she made tons of progress) the Acekard decides to corrupt the save file without warning. Restarting the game just caused the game to delete her profile, stating it was corrupt.
    Luckily I upgraded her microSD card that previous morning, so I had her latest save on my laptop.

I copied the uncorrupted save into my CycloDS and it's worked perfectly, so I gave my Cyclo to her, and ordered another for myself. I'm now her hero, she's happy, and needless to say, I got my reward [​IMG]

Bottom line is that since our gfs are not that tech-savvy, don't skimp out on quality, as the smallest inconsistencies and problems may be enough to put such people off new technologies - and after all, we all want our partners to see us as their heroes! [​IMG]

17. Swip

Member Swip GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    You tried going through a list of about 40 items with the DSTT's official firmware?
    No backlight settings? try tapping the top left corner on the bottom screen
    No reset? Look at the bottom screen

And why would someone buy a supercard just to use the DSTT's firmware. If your going to use the DSTT's firmware buy a DSTT its cheaper than the SCDS1.

If your girl friend just wants to play games with a firmware that's easy to use, high compatibility and reliable get the DSTT. If she wants features such as RTS get a cyclo or a SCDS1

18. Koekje

Netherlands
    Bottom screen only shows a grey background with 1 box with some info about the current folder/file in it.
    Top left corner on the bottom screen? Nothing's there, only a grey background like the whole screen.
    And yes, i have 67 games (8GB card) on my DSTT, and i have managed to let it scroll without any kind of lag while scrolling, alphabetically sorted, and all that stuff. With the official menu.

19. NotAgOat

Newcomer NotAgOat Member

United States
    I didn't read the entire thread, but I own/owned a DS-X, R4, and Cyclo DS. Cyclo DS wins hands down.

20. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I don't know about any other card as all i've owned is a cyclods but i have to say that it works wonders. Also you should probably know that Team Cyclops have the best support i've seen out of any Flashcart team with English speaking people as well as official forums where the team it self answers questions and gives support.