1. wiired24

OP wiired24 Developer
    Developer

United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the official thread for the ongoing and current effort by members of the community to get PlayStation 2 Emulation on Xbox One via PCSX2. Codenamed "Project Blue". The current state of affairs is that while have several emulators that work great on the Xbox One via retroarch, we do not yet have any feasible way of emulating PS2 Games. This is something we are actively working to change. We can do this by funding current efforts by the libretro team to get a working PCSX2 core ported over to retroarch. Aside from that, we can also work hand in hand with developers in the community to implement a port of PCSX2 that is targeted for the Universal Windows Platform for Xbox One. If you would like to help there are two ways you can assist. We are looking for developers that have one or more of the following,

+Some level of familiarity with porting to UWP,
    +C++ Programming skills,
    +Prior experience with emulation development.

If you think you have what it takes and would like to help in developing a port we would love to have you on the team. Secondly, another way you can help is by funding ongoing efforts to have PCSX2 ported as a core to retroarch. I will leave a link below if you're interested in that. As far as performance goes, it's been confirmed by the developers themselves a while back that it is possible to get the emulator running on the console however, optimizations would need to be made before we can expect anything that is decently playable for a majority of titles. Any updates or new developments regarding PCSX2 on Xbox One will be posted here as they happen. Lastly I want to remind everyone that this is going to take some time, please understand this isn't an overnight undertaking by any stretch of the imagination. We will keep everyone informed here as things progress. .

Link to donate to PCSX2 Retroarch Core -> https://www.bountysource.com/issues/59336467-bounty-create-a-pcsx2-core

Wanna get involved with Development?
    If you're a developer dm me and I'll get you a link to our Discord Development Channel.
    Contribute to the project on Github -> https://github.com/PCSX2-UWP-Team/pcsx2

Development Update - We now have PCSX2 Building into a .APPX file. This doesn't mean much to the end user yet but anyone familiar with the xbox scene will know it's an important first step in getting it ported over to Xbox One (UWP). There is still much left to be done and our team is working hard to get there.I'll continue to update as things progress

Last edited by wiired24, Mar 26, 2020
    supneo, ploggy, E1ite007 and 3 others like this.
  2. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    PS2 is my favorite retro console. I think this all sounds great! Count me in.

wiired24 likes this.
  3. wiired24

OP wiired24 Developer
    Developer

United States
    It's important this gets done right as I know how much the PS2 means to myself and many others who have fond memories growing up playing it. @kingtut I hear you know a thing or two about testing and GUI Development? ;)

kingtut likes this.
  4. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Addict

wouldnt this need to use "angle" to work on xox? definatly an interesting thread though :)

5. wiired24

OP wiired24 Developer
    Developer

United States
    From what I know PCSX2 supports DirectX so there should be no need for Angle.

6. jammybudga777

oh thats quality if it does support directX

wiired24 likes this.
  7. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yes :)

wiired24 likes this.
  8. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    Hey what about PS4 ?! :( I prefer PCSX2 over PS2classics!

9. jammybudga777

its not for ps4 and dont think anyone here other then me is interested in ps4. you can get fpkg/create your own for ps2 iso's but its limited on performance

10. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    As I said already.. Not interested in PS2classics.. I know about its limited on performance but I hope someone will pick it up if xbox one succeed it. :)

wiired24 likes this.
  11. jammybudga777

sorry didnt realise ps2 classics was what i was on about. would be real nice but only time will tell

azoreseuropa likes this.
  12. wiired24

OP wiired24 Developer
    Developer

United States
    @azoreseuropa As for PS4 sadly a no go. Since this is a "UWP" which is Microsoft own API it wouldn't work for PS4. It can only run on Windows 10 Family of Devices like PC and Xbox One.

azoreseuropa and ModderFokker619 like this.
  13. ModderFokker619

ModderFokker619 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Hopefully this project takes off seeing how bad emulation is on XBOX one.

azoreseuropa likes this.
  14. wiired24

OP wiired24 Developer
    Developer

United States
    I wouldn't say it's bad per se. When I first started back in 2017 there was one website selling half baked ports of Mupen64, and PPSSPP. I then compiled PPSSPP for UWP myself and released instructions on how others could do the same, and it just kinda took off from there with regards to emulator ports and releases. Jump forward to today and now we have a fully fledged Retroarch version on Xbox One which runs nes,snes,megadrive,n64,ps1,dreamcast,gb.gbc,gba etc and runs them all quite well. PS2 Emulation is the last piece of the puzzle for me. It's something I personally have wanted for a long time and I know others have too. We've got a small team of devs currently working on it and we're always welcoming new developers.

Dodain47 and jammybudga777 like this.
  15. ModderFokker619

ModderFokker619 GBAtemp Maniac

United States

My ps mini runs games better than retroarch on XB1

Hopefully XB1 gets some love

16. wiired24

OP wiired24 Developer
    Developer

United States
    XB1 has gotten plenty of love of the past 2 years and it still is.

ModderFokker619 likes this.
  17. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Xbox one can now run dreamcast, gamecube, and wii games at a respectable quality. But yeah it should get more love anyway.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I would love that for PS4. PS1 was my first console and PS2 is my favorite retro console of all time. Since then, I have been a hardcore Playsation fun. But for now PCSX2 will be built using UWP since this makes porting a lot easier.

18. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Addict

Austria
    I´m curious to know how PCSX2 would run on the Xbox One base system.:mthr:

19. wiired24

OP wiired24 Developer
    Developer

United States
    That's the million dollar question. As per the official recommended specs the CPU needs to be at least a Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.2 GHz or better. The Xbox One has an AMD 8 Core Jaguar CPU that is clocked at 1.75 GHZ. The core count is higher but the clock speed is less. But to be honest performance should be okay. I don't expect it to emulate every title at 100%. If we can get a good amount of games to at least run at 40-50 fps that would be great.

VSPEC and Dodain47 like this.
  20. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Update for everyone:

The team managed to port PCSX2 for the most part to UWP and run it on PC. This is a really awesome step. But there's still some work to do.

What we need to do next:

1. Right now loading Bios work. But loading plugins doesn't work for some reason.
    2. Once loading plugins work, we need to force DirectX to be the default graphics plugin for xbox one.
    2. The current UI may not work on the xbox one. So we might build a new UI for it.

But so far the team is doing really good progress and it's awesome to work with other developers like @wiired24 again. Our progress can be seen on GitHub.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Official, Project, Thread