Ocarina of Time's Link makes an appearance in Twilight Princess

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
Even when shit is being proved by Nintendo, people are still stupid and debate over it and say "nope, they're wrong".
The most of what I been seeing is debate about explaining the timeline, not denying it. This thread is only confirming a theory of small details.
The way that I've always taken the Zelda games, the way that I'll always continue to take the Zelda games, is that each installment is it's own story. They don't connect to each other. There's no overall story to the land of Hyrule. Each game is just different. Not everything needs a timeline.
Thinking about them as their own game, thinking they didn't need to connect or/and that the timeline doesn't do anything for you,(which all that is fine) doesn't mean there isn't connections and a timeline.

Nintendo for years maintained there was no connection themselves and no timeline.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Even when shit is being proved by Nintendo, people are still stupid and debate over it and say "nope, they're wrong".
The most of what I been seeing is debate about explaining the timeline, not denying it. This thread is only confirming a theory of small details.
The way that I've always taken the Zelda games, the way that I'll always continue to take the Zelda games, is that each installment is it's own story. They don't connect to each other. There's no overall story to the land of Hyrule. Each game is just different. Not everything needs a timeline.
Thinking about them as their own game, thinking they didn't need to connect or/and that the timeline doesn't do anything for you,(which all that is fine) doesn't mean there isn't connections and a timeline.

I didn't say there were no connections. I knew when I first played through TP that the shade was Link.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys Zelda haves a timeline get over it and stuff like hero shade only proof that they are thinking about past game when making the new ones

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come on,everybody knows this is the only/real zelda timeline:
http://i.imgur.com/TpcVN.jpg
no, you're wrong... this is the TRUE timeline
tumblr_lx6qtgORxA1qzp9weo1_1280.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Guys Zelda haves a timeline ge over it and stuff like hero shade only proof that they are thinking baout past game when making the new ones
Thinking about past games when making new ones does not equal a "timeline". A timeline is established when the creators of a given game have a large story to convey, they think ahead and they let the fans learn more and more of this story in each new game. Shenmue has a story like that. Zelda doesn't. I'll elaborate on that thought...

Forcefully adding a few elements from old games regardless of whether they make sense in the particular setting or not and then, a good few years later trying to tie it all up into a more or less coherent whole is not establishing a timeline - it's fan service. It's giving people with Zelda fetishes something to live for.

Reactions: 3 people

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
Guys Zelda haves a timeline ge over it and stuff like hero shade only proof that they are thinking baout past game when making the new ones
Thinking about past games when making new ones does not equal a "timeline". A timeline is established when the creators of a given game have a large story to convey, they think ahead and they let the fans learn more and more of this story in each new game. Shenmue has a story like that. Zelda doesn't. I'll elaborate on that thought...

Forcefully adding a few elements from old games regardless of whether they make sense in the particular setting or not and then, a good few years later trying to tie it all up into a more or less coherent whole is not establishing a timeline - it's fan service. It's giving people with Zelda fetishes something to live for.

This is absolutely spot on.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to join the Foxi Like bandwagon. I doubt when Zelda 1 or 2 was created the idea of this immense timeline existed back then. It's more probable that the only idea of a timeline was in the recent years as Foxi suggests.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm going to join the Foxi Like bandwagon. I doubt when Zelda 1 or 2 was created the idea of this immense timeline existed back then. It's more probable that the only idea of a timeline was in the recent years as Foxi suggests.

The way I see it, when Zelda was first created, the video gaming world was not yet "restored". Let's not forget the times this was made in - directly after the Video Game Crash of 1983. Revenue from video games dropped from heavens high to hell's deep within but a few years and by the year 1985 there wasn't much promise in the industry at all. Fair play, the Famicom/NES basically single-handedly resurrected the video game industry, but the first Zelda game was released in 1986 - one year after the crash.

It had a simplistic design, simplistic graphics and a simplistic story, much like a Mario game would. A bad guy kidnapped the princess - go save her. The difference between Zelda and Mario was that it also tried to appeal to "Early RPG" fans with its "dungeon crawling" nature and the addition of interchangable items. It was a novel design, but definatelly not one created with an intention to carry on releasing the games for the next 25 years - Nintendo wasn't even particularily sure if they'll *exist* for that long.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thinking about past games when making new ones does not equal a "timeline".

actually it pretty much does. when you reference something from another game it pretty much sets up a timeline. for example the ruins of the Temple of Time in TP with the master sword pretty much sets TP after Oot in a timeline. there may not be a deliberate overarching story but a timeline is there even if it is donnie darkoesque.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

actually it pretty much does. when you reference something from another game it pretty much sets up a timeline. for example the ruins of the Temple of Time in TP with the master sword pretty much sets TP after Oot in a timeline. there may not be a deliberate overarching story but a timeline is there even if it is donnie darkoesque.
You can only establish a coherent timeline if you do it deliberately and in a sensible fashion, taking into account the entirety of the revealed plot so-far. I'm not saying the developer has to create a scenario for the next 20 years to make it "legit", I'm saying that there has to be some ahead-of-schedule planning done, there has to be a sequel to Game A called Game B already partially in mind when A is released. I don't see that with Zelda - if see lots and lots of Easter Eggs, or even not that - I just see archetypes and reoccuring items scattered here and there with no logical explaination to them, connected in a crude fashion just for the sake of connecting them.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Although I knew that a timeline did exist for the series, I knew that fans would debate over this. XD
On topic though, this doesn't surprise me one bit. Makes pretty much sense to me.

ok i can accept the fact that the stalfos pic is in fact mm link, until i realize one thing. up until tp for the wii, wasnt link left handed???
The wii game was mirrored.

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
ok i can accept the fact that the stalfos pic is in fact mm link, until i realize one thing. up until tp for the wii, wasnt link left handed???

Well, the original version of TP is the Gamecube one, where he is indeed left handed. The Wii port mirrored the entire world, so both Links are right handed.

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

You can only establish a coherent timeline if you do it deliberately and in a sensible fashion, taking into account the entirety of the revealed plot so-far. I'm not saying the developer has to create a scenario for the next 20 years to make it "legit", I'm saying that there has to be some ahead-of-schedule planning done, there has to be a sequel to Game A called Game B already partially in mind when A is released. I don't see that with Zelda - if see lots and lots of Easter Eggs, or even not that - I just see archetypes and reoccuring items scattered here and there with no logical explaination to them, connected in a crude fashion just for the sake of connecting them.
I think you give timelines to much credit. Even a cheaply tacked on timeline is still a timeline.
The Wii version was completely mirrored. In the Gamecube version the Stalfos should be left handed.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think you give timelines to much credit. Even a cheaply tacked on timeline is still a timeline.
Nope, I don't think I do. I can understand that the timeline was now established by Nintendo, be it cheaply made or not. What I am saying is that this specific timeline was not *planned* from the beginning of the series, it was created only for the purpose of connecting them in some fashion.

>my stretch definition of a timeline
>force it on people

Since when can't a swordsman switch hands anyway?

I'm not forcing my opinion on anyone, I'm just stating it. You're free to disagree if you want to - if you're going to start a debate by just saying "nah, you're not right" then you can just as well stop right there.

As for the second point, "Since vertebrates developed twin hemispheres". Clearly you never held a sword or a heavy, elongated object in your hand - naturally you will pick your dominant hand when you want to wield it, both because it's instinctive and because that's what swordsmen do - inflict damage, and you inflict more with your stronger arm.

a timeline is a timeline wether thought out or not. the world has a time line... homo sapiens have nothing to do with dinosaurs yet we exist in the same world history timeline. this post came after the last one, that's a timeline. that's all a freaken timeline is.

Not in the literary sense. Every creation that's based of a scrip has a timeline - a line on which certain events can be put sooner or later. In Zelda games though, this timeline was not thought through. The title itself suggests that each Legend of Zelda is a "Legend" - it's not necessarily planned or even remotely connected to it's predecessors or successors unless it clearly states it, like in Legend of Zelda 2, where you have a clear indication of the fact that it is indeed a sequel.

Think what you will, it's not like it "really matters". To me, this just isn't convincing enough and doesn't constitute solid evidence that Nintendo actually "planned" the story to progress in such crude fashions.

Reactions: 1 person

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
a timeline is a timeline wether thought out or not. the world has a time line... homo sapiens have nothing to do with dinosaurs yet we exist in the same world history timeline. this post came after the last one, that's a timeline. that's all a freaken timeline is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay