Homebrew WIP NXQuake2 - a Quake II port

UsableLoki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the fixed .nro for The Reckoning... My mistake, once again.

How would be the correct way to get he mission packs running? Download the mission pack off steam or similar and copy the baseq files into the one in the switch SD folder?

Also, can I buy you and fgsfds like a pizza or something? Y'alls work has been A++ and I'd like to return some appreciation

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
How would be the correct way to get he mission packs running? Download the mission pack off steam or similar and copy the baseq files into the one in the switch SD folder?
Yeah if you have a pc install of Quake 2 which has the mission packs just copy the "xatrix" and "rogue" folders into your NXQuake2 folder. Run the .nro chow shared and that's it.

Reactions: UsableLoki

Ch0wW

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
Yup, I definitely agree with what Purple_Shyguy said. Put "rogue" and "xatrix" from your Quake2 folder (Steam/Gog/Whatever) to <root>/switch/nxquake2

Actually, to make it easier for everyone, and in order to keep everything as clean as possible, I did it that way (action and openffa were online mods, don't worry about these folders):

piLCuSn.png

I placed nxquake2.nro inside /switch/nxquake2 and
nxquake2_rogue/xatrix inside /switch . That way, it looks like that :
MCJOlAZ.png

Simple, and clean enough with no unnecessary folder in hbmenu. :P

For the sake of simplicity, I reuploaded everything in this post.

Attachments

• nxquake2_wAddons.7z
    3.8 MB · Views: 156
Last edited by Ch0wW,

Ch0wW

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
Im having 2 small problems...

Music isnt working

I have to remap controlls every time I boot the game

- There's no music when you just install nxQuake2 as-is ; you need to add a "music" folder with the music (in .ogg) ; there's some info on Google about getting these. You should get them quite easily :P

- that's not normal at all... Do you have at least a config.cfg inside the baseq2 folder ?

Last edited by Ch0wW,

burial

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- There's no music when you just install nxQuake2 as-is ; you need to add a "music" folder with the music (in .ogg) ; there's some info on Google about getting these. You should get them quite easily :P

- that's not normal at all... Do you have at least a config.cfg inside the baseq2 folder ?

My bad, I thought the music folder was in the baseq2 folder....just added music folder and it works!

There is a cfg file in the baseq2 folder, is that where its supposed to be?

Ch0wW

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
My bad, I thought the music folder was in the baseq2 folder....just added music folder and it works!

There is a cfg file in the baseq2 folder, is that where its supposed to be?

It should save there. If it doesn't work, try removing this file, and restart nxQuake2. Go to the options, reset the default settings, bind something, quit, and retry to see if it works or not.

Just out of curiosity, is your SD formatted in exFAT ? or Fat32?

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Does this port have a usb keyboard/mouse support? Been enjoying it for quite a while on my switch but only realised recently that some ports like quake3/doom3/diablo-nx have usb keyboard and mouse support and thought this one might have it too... but it doesn't work for me. Well, may be it just doesn't have it.

UsableLoki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been receiving a readfield error upon exiting unit one on 'ground zero' mission pack whether I try to leave level 'tectonic stabilizer' onto the unit exit, or use the secret level 'mine engineering' onto the next unit. I had no problem playing the whole way through basequake and reckoning.
Error reads-

ERROR: Game Error: ReadField: function not found in table, can't load game

Any suggestion on how to fix? Thank you.

UsableLoki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this port have a usb keyboard/mouse support? Been enjoying it for quite a while on my switch but only realised recently that some ports like quake3/doom3/diablo-nx have usb keyboard and mouse support and thought this one might have it too... but it doesn't work for me. Well, may be it just doesn't have it.

Keyboard support worked for me. Didn't test mouse though.

Ch0wW

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
I have been receiving a readfield error upon exiting unit one on 'ground zero' mission pack whether I try to leave level 'tectonic stabilizer' onto the unit exit, or use the secret level 'mine engineering' onto the next unit. I had no problem playing the whole way through basequake and reckoning.
Error reads-

ERROR: Game Error: ReadField: function not found in table, can't load game

Any suggestion on how to fix? Thank you.

I'm using the latest binaries I provided, but I was able to access the level after the one you're talking about... Can someone else confirm this issue ?

Ch0wW

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
I'm currently trying to recompile the source for nxQuake2 with the latest libraries. However, unlike Odamex (that was fixed - post in a few moments), something seems to have messed up, and as a result, it cannot be started (black screen).

If some help could be given, that'd be awesome !

Reactions: ShadowOne333

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I'm currently trying to recompile the source for nxQuake2 with the latest libraries. However, unlike Odamex (that was fixed - post in a few moments), something seems to have messed up, and as a result, it cannot be started (black screen).

If some help could be given, that'd be awesome !

I get the same thing, freezes with a back screen as soon as you try to start the game - builds fine though. I've tried various things to get this to build such as switching branches - git checkout -b NXQUAKE2_020 & trying older revisions. I guess it must be probably due to updates in Dekit pro or one of the dependencies that's causing the issue.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Yep, that's what I thought aswell. This, and a few SDL2 problems when to adapt the code...

I'll try updating the main source and see what happens. :/

If you find a fix, can you post the modded code - I want to recompile with my Blaster weapon damage modded.

I've tried compiling like this:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/fgsfdsfgs/nxquake2.git --recursive

cd desktop/nxquake2

git checkout -b NXQUAKE2_020

make -f Makefile.nx clean

make -f Makefile.nx

Code compiles, but as soon as the game tries to load - instant black screen and game freeze - probably due to sdl2 like you say.

Ch0wW

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
I tried being up-to-date with the official port, and sadly, the same issue happens.

Looks like the only possible solution will be to downgrade the SDL2 package, until we understand what went wrong...

fgsfds

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Nah, I'll just have to remove my backwards ass archaic NWindow management. I have done so for every other port and I could have sworn I also did this for this one, but no. It should never have worked in the first place.

Reactions: mrdude and Ch0wW

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Nah, I'll just have to remove my backwards ass archaic NWindow management. I have done so for every other port and I could have sworn I also did this for this one, but no. It should never have worked in the first place.

Thanks, there's no rush - I'm still on 8.1.0 firmware, so are most people. Still It would be appreciated when you get the time if you could update your github with the fix.

Cheers :-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1