WIP NXQuake2 - a Quake II port

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by fgsfds, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Ch0wW

Ch0wW Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2019
    France
    France
    I've slightly forked the project, and quickly updated it in order to support libnx 2.0.0.

I've also added an option to change the sensitivity. Right now, it feels still badly calibrated to me but I think I'll modify it once again in a near future.

Build in the uploaded file.

EDIT : oh, and I forgot to mention : the "Reset Controls" in the options is perfectly working, and properly resets to a correct button preset.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Ch0wW, Mar 18, 2019
    ShadowOne333, cucholix, sj33 and 3 others like this.
  2. Ch0wW

Ch0wW Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2019
    France
    France
    Double post, and I'm deeply sorry.

I've added some primitive online support, and also some console support (yet, it's really buggy, you can't use the history... yet).

Network : Can now be used for many Q2 servers online (requires Full RAM support - Also, only IPs work, not DNS addresses)
    Console : (X) button is used to input console commands for now. It sends directly once you're done.
    Inputs : added a fast turn command, which basically doubles your current sensitivity in the press of a button. No bind set, but you can use R for instance.
    Sensitivity : as it's still too fast, I've decided to divide by 10.

Attached Files:

3. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    If only most double post were this useful :P
    Thanks for your work man, pretty apreciated :)

4. fgsfds
    OP

fgsfds GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    I'm pretty sure online support and nxlink was already in there though, I could connect to my local server back when I tested it. Otherwise pretty nice.
    EDIT: Yup, look in backends/nx/network.c, particularly NET_Init() and NET_Shutdown(). DNS resolution might indeed be broken though.

Last edited by fgsfds, Mar 18, 2019
  5. Ch0wW

Ch0wW Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2019
    France
    France
    Oops, my bad.
    I wasn't able to get the online abilities with the version, but if you say it works, sorry then.

6. fgsfds
    OP

fgsfds GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    I dunno, works just fine for me, I just tested it, from the latest source in my repo. What exactly weren't you able to get to work?

7. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    Online worked, you just had to edit the config file and add you selected server IP address into the address book.

Also with your console tweak would it allow us to play usermaps?

Last edited by Purple_Shyguy, Mar 18, 2019
  8. fgsfds
    OP

fgsfds GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    I've added swkbd support, so in the next release you won't have to edit the config anymore.
    As long as you have access to the console, you can execute the map command to change maps, so yes. You can in fact put it in autoexec.cfg or something and it'll work, so you can run custom maps even with the current version.

cucholix and Purple_Shyguy like this.
  9. Ch0wW

Ch0wW Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2019
    France
    France
    I have no idea actually, but now it works... So I'm a bit puzzled.

Anyway, I just finished console support, and you also have the history included, aswell as console edit and so on.

For the NET_StringToSockaddr function, the error reported is "Unknown error", so I can't give you any kind of help.

Fgsfds, care to give you a PR in a few minutes ?

10. fgsfds
    OP

fgsfds GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    Go ahead.
    I think ioquake3 has name resolution working, maybe it's possible to copy NET_StringToSockaddr from there.

11. Ch0wW

Ch0wW Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2019
    France
    France
    Excellent ! I gave you a PR with all you need.

About the hostname problem, using "gethostbyname" may solve the issue...

12. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    Working on atmosphere 0.85, fw 7.01

13. lifetolifeless

lifetolifeless Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2007
    United States
    It should be made illegal to play quake2 without the original soundtrack.

Abyssmal_Asch and Tony_92 like this.
  14. mathew77

mathew77 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2019
    Norway
    Thanks for such a great work!

Recently I faced a problem.
    In the latter game, I took the Security pass in 9th Unit (after the "Spinner data"), moved back to the Lower Palace and whoops. The game stops and bring an exception 'write is too long' etc. The error is not googleable...
    Then, I tried to reload savegame at some earlier levels. Now when going from Outer Courts to Lower Palace there's a mess. All doors are non-working, and I just pass through them, or they're stop letting me go.

I wonder if someone ran into this error too, because I was so fell in love with Quake2 on Switch.
    Otherwise, the port is great, it's one of my favorite FPS and unfortunately I cannot get it to the end quite a bit. : (

UPDATE: there was an error on my side only, sdcard was in exfat with the archive bit is on. Thank you!

Last edited by mathew77, Apr 25, 2019
  15. fgsfds
    OP

fgsfds GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    Sounds like your saves got corrupted somehow. Are you using exfat?

mathew77 likes this.
  16. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    Just in case, did you search for that error (doors etc on that level) on regular quake 2? because it sounds familiar to me

mathew77 likes this.
  17. UsableLoki

UsableLoki Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2019
    United States
    How do I play the full game instead of the demo? Do I need the authentic game on my pc and to copy that over? If so, what version of quake do I download?- there's so many updated mods when I look online.

18. Dutt

Dutt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2018
    Australia
    Buy it off Steam then do what the first post says to do. easy.

UsableLoki and Csmrcc like this.
  19. fgsfds
    OP

fgsfds GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    You need the original game. Just Quake 2, no mission packs or mods or anything. AFAIK any version will do, but patched to 3.20 is best.

UsableLoki likes this.
  20. mathew77

mathew77 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2019
    Norway
    fgsfds, Csmrcc
    Well, thank you for your kind answers, I think the error was on my side — exFAT and archive bit did that. Now it's working like a charm! :D