RELEASE NX Activity Log - View (slightly) more detailed play statistics!

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by tallbl0nde, Oct 2, 2019.

1. tallbl0nde
    OP

tallbl0nde Member

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2019
    Australia
    Hi! I'd like to share my first homebrew which reads and presents play statistics stored on your switch! Once I found libnx provides ways to access this data, I knew I wanted to create this app :)

Currently, you can view the following statistics per game (per user):
    • Number of launches
    • Time of first play
    • Time of last play
    • Total playtime (down to the minute and not just 5 hour segments!)
    • Average playtime per launch
    This application is fairly basic right now; I have plans to make a GUI and more, so stay tuned!

The latest release can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/tallbl0nde/NX-Activity-Log

Please report any bugs (as there's probably some :P) as issues on the GitHub page!

[​IMG]

Last edited by tallbl0nde, Oct 10, 2019
  2. Garou

Garou GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 13, 2015
    lordelan likes this.
  3. tallbl0nde
    OP

tallbl0nde Member

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2019
    Australia
    Thanks for posting the link @Garou :)

On my switch my main account is linked, however I did create new user accounts, left them unlinked and everything worked fine.

I'm not sure about the backup/restore side of things, I'd have to look into it but for now I'm focussing on just using what's available.

Refriger8tor, Jonhy, mathew77 and 2 others like this.
  4. blax722

blax722 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 6, 2015
    Love this, exactly the thing that I was missing after moving from 3DS to Switch.

Baoulettes likes this.
  5. AveSatanas

AveSatanas GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2018
    United States
    Very useful homebrew, thanks.

6. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    @tallbl0nde
    Now that's a tool for me!
    Since as the dev of it you already know how to deal with the log stored on SYSTEM:/save, can you tell me how to inject the play log from a NAND dump (or at least read that out) to edit it to the new one?
    I know my case is pretty unique and special, but I'm one of the few people that really care for the play log.
    My Switch got stolen and I bought a new one. Fortunately I have a NAND dump of the old one from less than a month before it was stolen and I would be pretty happy to merge the play log from there into my current emuMMCs play log if possible in any way.
    I know that it's 80000000000000F0 in SYSTEM:/save but somehow I don't dare to simply copy it over from my old NAND dump to my new Switch's emuMMC.

7. Jonhy

Jonhy GBAtemp Regular

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Wow this is amazing, so many people requested this. Good luck with the dev process!

tallbl0nde likes this.
  8. mathew77

mathew77 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2019
    Norway
    Thank you, your homebrew is just AWESOME!..
    GUI with the game icons and the export logs to csv as a feature — and you'll be pretty damn good. (:

Last edited by mathew77, Oct 2, 2019
    Csmrcc and tallbl0nde like this.
  9. Garou

Garou GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 13, 2015
    not tested but you might be able to inject system save using https://github.com/Adubbz/Compelled-Disclosure, just change the VMDB_SAVE_ID in main.c to 0x80000000000000F0 and compile the app

and as for your last sentence, why not backup your current save for 80000000000000F0 before overwrite it with the one from your old dump?
    system save is not encrypted with console specific key afaik, though I have no idea if the files within are console specific

as for editing play log, 80000000000000F0 save itself contains 3 files
    migration.ok
    BaseTimePoint.bin
    PlayEvent.dat

with PlayEvent.dat as the biggest one (mine is about 16MB)
    unfortunately I couldn't find any documentation about this file on switchbrew so no clue how to edit it, but based on the look it doesn't seem to be encrypted

thaikhoa and lordelan like this.
  10. tomGER

tomGER GBAtemp Fan

Feb 6, 2017
    Germany
    Very nice work :)

tallbl0nde and ELY_M like this.
  11. veekay

veekay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Excited to try this - really have missed an activity log.

Does this still track games that have been uninstalled?

12. blawar

blawar Developer

pip Developer
    Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    Goldleaf supports it as well, but I suspect this dev will add more features to differentiate it.

op: messing with the libnx calls to get this data is a dead end, you have to parse the save file to get the good data. I wrote a grapher for this data if you have any specific questions.

Last edited by blawar, Oct 2, 2019
    tallbl0nde and Jonhy like this.
  13. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Nice, thx. This seems a bit easier than creating a dump of my emuMMC, do the magic there with HacDiskMount and restore the emuMMC dump on my Switch.
    But what is frightening me is that restoring a savefile of system stuff while being in Horizon doesn't sound very smart.

14. Shadas

Shadas Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2019
    Czech Republic
    Finally somewone make this awesome app.I really miss this from Wii U. I wish you good luck with this app ;-) Custom background music would be great feature too :-D

15. Shadas
    This message by Shadas has been removed from public view by x65943, Oct 2, 2019, Reason: Dupes.
    Oct 2, 2019
  16. Shadas
    This message by Shadas has been removed from public view by x65943, Oct 2, 2019, Reason: Dupes.
    Oct 2, 2019
  17. Shadas
    Oct 2, 2019
  18. Shadas
    Oct 2, 2019
  19. Shadas
    Oct 2, 2019
  20. Shadas
    Oct 2, 2019
  21. Shadas
    Oct 2, 2019
  22. kekoroto

kekoroto Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2019
    Spain
    Granada
    Hi! This may be a very noobish question, but how do you download the nso file for this homebrew? It doesn't look like it is in GitHub.

23. veekay

veekay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Look near the top where it says "1 release" - click there to go to the releases page.

24. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    They aren’t encrypted with console unique keys, but they are signed with the console’s device key.

25. mathew77

mathew77 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2019
    Norway
    Dear tallbl0nde, here's my another humble feature-request: please make an average time counter per 1 launch of the game: for example — playtime of the one's game is 29 hrs 29 min, it was launched 70 times, so average playtime is ~25 minutes per play session.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by mathew77, Oct 2, 2019
    Asdolo, Csmrcc and tallbl0nde like this.
  26. kornjaca200

kornjaca200 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2017
    Netherlands
    Nice i always wanted something like this, will try later tonight.

27. tatumanu

tatumanu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 1, 2004
    Portugal
    Cool homebrew idea! Now all non Nintendo ID users can see how many hours they spent! Thank you

28. Jonhy

Jonhy GBAtemp Regular

May 22, 2016
    United States
    I hope this gets good enough to warrant patching out the user page for this.

29. veekay

veekay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Answered my own question in the fact that it does not show games that still have the save, but are currently uninstalled.

Hopefully there is a way to fix that.

30. raine_em

raine_em Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2019
    Canada
    thanks for this great homebrew.
    can't wait to see where you go with this :)

tallbl0nde likes this.
  31. Garou

Garou GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 13, 2015
    yes but what i meant was whether for example PlayEvent.dat has console info, but that doesn't seem to be the case. already figured out the format and it only has user info
    thanks for reminding that the save needs to be signed though

ZachyCatGames likes this.
  32. anothertemper

anothertemper Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2016
    I really look forward to seeing this develop. Great idea, OP!

tallbl0nde likes this.
  33. tallbl0nde
    OP

tallbl0nde Member

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2019
    Australia
    @lordelan Sorry to hear about your switch... but I have no idea about that as I'm just using some functions that libnx provides, not actually reading the save file (well at least not yet)

@veekay Unfortunately it doesn't show uninstalled games just yet, that's on the to-do list!

@blawar Thanks, I didn't even know where the save file was before so I'll probably have some questions ;)

@mathew77 I'll add that in soon!

lordelan, mathew77 and veekay like this.
  34. slickochet

slickochet Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2010
    Amazing thanks! Been wanting something like this since the switch launched without a proper user history of any kind.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted