Hardware Nvidia Tegra chip to be used in 3DS?

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
dinofan01 said:
The latest IGN Wii podcast pretty much confirms no and its likely to be an ATI card instead. Too lazy to link.
Most likely since they use ATI in all recent consoles. (Gamecube and Wii.)

D

Deleted_171835

Probably.

I'd rather it use the Tegra 2. It would have more than enough power, then.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
SoulSnatcher said:
Probably.

I'd rather it use the Tegra 2. It would have more than enough power, then.
...and therefore make it even more expensive.

Remember, they need to market the 3DS at around the £100-£150 mark, otherwise you might as well go buy a 360 for £180 (or whatever price it will be at next year), so they don't want to over-complicate and have it like the PSPgo, launching at £220. Otherwise it just won't sell.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look all I know for a fact and you have no reason to believe me, but I do know the system should put out a visual level in the range of the Gamecube along with this '3D' style they're going with it too. I was told this just because my brother works for a branch of THQ and they get to see these things far earlier than we do.

Mechachu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D said:
Look all I know for a fact and you have no reason to believe me, but I do know the system should put out a visual level in the range of the Gamecube along with this '3D' style they're going with it too. I was told this just because my brother works for a branch of THQ and they get to see these things far earlier than we do.

April Fools!
tongue.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
The latest IGN Wii podcast pretty much confirms no and its likely to be an ATI card instead. Too lazy to link.
With all due respect, that was not only IGN we're talking about, but it's also their opinion. It wasn't the guy quoting some Nintendo rep, he just "thought" it would use Tegra. And lets please remember that at times, IGNorance knows no bounds with them.
rolleyes.gif

I'm more curious that IF the 3DS does indeed have "Gamecube caliber graphics", how they intend to handle the back compatibility. Even with a chip like Tegra or whatever, they can't just emulate the old DS/DSi hardware. And Tegra or even a new chip wouldn't be automatically be compatible with the old DS hardware either. And I seriously doubt they intend to include a new fancy GPU chip AND the old DS hardware. If they did, that would present us with 3 problems. First, that would be very crowded inside the system and it would seriously hinder portability (it would be huge trying to fit DS/DSi/3DS hardware all in one system). Secondly, it would be very inefficient in terms of power and battery life, even in regards to heat management. Thirdly, all that hardware would definitely cost a ton. Cramming in both DS and 3DS hardware would be very expensive, and we the consumers would be pinned with that bill.

I hate to say it, and as always, I would love to be proven wrong (really, i would this time, i WANT a gamecube portable lol), but i think the new 3DS will just be another step in the DS/DSi overclocking thing they have going on. Whatever power the new system has, i seriously doubt it would be powerful enough to emulate the old DS/DSi. And I doubt they can cram all the bones of the DS/DSi/3DS in together without serious size, heat, power, and price issues. Maybe Nintendo knows something i don't about technology or whatever, and lets hope they do. But knowing them, i wouldn't put it past them to just offer it up as an even further overclocked DSi (which in itself is an overclocked DS). There is hope though, since the system is being marketed as a "DS successor" and not just a minor upgrade or whatever. Still too early to tell, and i'm just using my own logic here, which can be crushed.

Just remember everyone that we don't really know ANYTHING about 3DS besides that it has non-glasses 3D tech and works with old DS/DSi games. Any other info as of now, can very well be complete rubbish. That includes what i said above and what anyone else says.
tongue.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
We also know the development kits are easier to use for developers that are used to developing on the gamecube (and presumably the wii), so we should end up with games that play more like their wii counterparts.

Nothing about the power, THAT is just people guessing, nothing said it will be as powerful as the GC.

popoffka

Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
If it'll be similar to GC and Wii in development, then we can suggest that it'll have only one CPU, not two (arm9 & arm7) like DS or DSi. And that will also lead us to problems with backwards compatibility - how are they going to emulate two portable CPUs using only one?

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
popoffka said:
If it'll be similar to GC and Wii in development, then we can suggest that it'll have only one CPU, not two (arm9 & arm7) like DS or DSi. And that will also lead us to problems with backwards compatibility - how are they going to emulate two portable CPUs using only one?
Actually the wii has an arm9(I think) processor in the hollywood chip alongside it's cpu.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DeMoN said:
There's been tons of speculation that it will. I personally hope so, but Nintendo may play the "gameplay>graphics" card again.
I hope that's the card they'll always play. Why would anybody want it the other way around?

Win

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DeMoN said:
There's been tons of speculation that it will. I personally hope so, but Nintendo may play the "gimmicks>graphics" card again.

let me correct you.

i honestly hope they will somehow integrate the tegra chip. i wouldnt care about backwards compatibility as long as i get nice gfx AND gameplay without too many gimmicks.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Win said:
DeMoN said:
There's been tons of speculation that it will. I personally hope so, but Nintendo may play the "gimmicks>graphics" card again.

let me correct you.
Mind listing what's so gimmicky that DS games in general incorporate?
Of course, I will be judging it based on a dictionary definition of "gimmick".
tongue.gif

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
granville said:
dinofan01 said:
With all due respect, that was not only IGN we're talking about, but it's also their opinion. It wasn't the guy quoting some Nintendo rep, he just "thought" it would use Tegra. And lets please remember that at times, IGNorance knows no bounds with them.
rolleyes.gif

I'm more curious that IF the 3DS does indeed have "Gamecube caliber graphics", how they intend to handle the back compatibility. Even with a chip like Tegra or whatever, they can't just emulate the old DS/DSi hardware. And Tegra or even a new chip wouldn't be automatically be compatible with the old DS hardware either. And I seriously doubt they intend to include a new fancy GPU chip AND the old DS hardware. If they did, that would present us with 3 problems. First, that would be very crowded inside the system and it would seriously hinder portability (it would be huge trying to fit DS/DSi/3DS hardware all in one system). Secondly, it would be very inefficient in terms of power and battery life, even in regards to heat management. Thirdly, all that hardware would definitely cost a ton. Cramming in both DS and 3DS hardware would be very expensive, and we the consumers would be pinned with that bill.

I hate to say it, and as always, I would love to be proven wrong (really, i would this time, i WANT a gamecube portable lol), but i think the new 3DS will just be another step in the DS/DSi overclocking thing they have going on. Whatever power the new system has, i seriously doubt it would be powerful enough to emulate the old DS/DSi. And I doubt they can cram all the bones of the DS/DSi/3DS in together without serious size, heat, power, and price issues. Maybe Nintendo knows something i don't about technology or whatever, and lets hope they do. But knowing them, i wouldn't put it past them to just offer it up as an even further overclocked DSi (which in itself is an overclocked DS). There is hope though, since the system is being marketed as a "DS successor" and not just a minor upgrade or whatever. Still too early to tell, and i'm just using my own logic here, which can be crushed.

Just remember everyone that we don't really know ANYTHING about 3DS besides that it has non-glasses 3D tech and works with old DS/DSi games. Any other info as of now, can very well be complete rubbish. That includes what i said above and what anyone else says.
tongue.gif

The GBA managed to provide GB/GBC backwards compatibility by including both the old and new processor; I'm sure that wouldn't have been possible for Nintendo to do in something that size prior. It may be possible now for them to include the ARM7 and ARM9 without adding much to the form factor, although I don't know one way or the other.

Also, if the 3DS uses the Tegra, or Tegra 2; don't they also use ARM processors, just more advanced? I guess it wouldn't be possible for the newer ARM of whichever Tegra to take the place of the ARM9, leaving only the ARM7 (which, being quite old, must be able to be miniaturized quite a bit by now) for Nintendo to include?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o