Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

jamesban

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I had a wii with a hard drive set up and games on it. When I got divorced my wife kept the wii. I bought another wii and set it up. I bought a hard drive from someone with about 100 games already on it. When I try to transfer games with wbfs manager on my PC from drive to drive the one my wife has is detected by the PC and shows up as a drive letter so i can access it. The new external drive however does not. It doesnt show up as a drive letter and wbfs manager doesnt see it. However it works perfectly hooked up to my wii. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kumeleon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't going to be much help, but the only thing I could think of was the drive formatted as a wbfs partition. I don't think that shows up in windows with a drive letter, but I could be mistaken.

The odd thing is, though, that I think wbfs manager is supposed to see that type of partition so long as it's connected to your pc before you start up wbfs manager.

If you go into disk management of windows, do you see an unallocated/unpartitioned drive there?

KineticMods

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. Quick question, hopefully someone can help out. I just installed Dios Mios on my wii, and am using it with cfg USB loader. I formatted my hard drive so the first partition is fat32 with 32kb clusters and installed the games using the tool that comes with dios mios. The first game I booted up was tales of Symphonia, and it works perfectly. I can't get any other games to work though. I tried Summoner2, Wind Waker, Fore Emblem POR and Pokemon XD. All I get is a black screen, nothing else. Why would Tales work but no others? I used the latest Dios Mios, v2.10 and my cfg loader is also up to date, 70R51 I believe. I know my Hermes and d2x are old versions, but would that make a difference? Also, when I boot up cfg loader, it defaults to the ntfs partition even though the fat32 partition is first. Is it supposed to default to the fat32 partition?

Is Dios Mios the best way to load gc backups on the wii, or is Swiss? Or my Wiikey Fusion?

Thanks in advance for anyone with advice!

Kinetic

Kumeleon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Kinetic, I'm not sure if d2x versions being old would cause issues or not, but I also use CFG usb loader and all of my games are loading ok. I did run modmii and updated all my cios before installing the latest cfg loader though, so I'd recommend updating your system files and then giving it another try.

Hope it works out ok for you

_acid_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems like the right place to ask..... If I restore my nand from a nandbackup, all installed wads and ios's will be reverted to the time i made the backup correct? So if I ever needed to sell my wii, I could restore it then uninstall the HBC and bootmii without having to do anything else?

Your NAND will be just like your it was previously. And Yes, you can delete HBC and Bootmii but your wii will always have remnants of being hacked, though they probably wont really matter anyway.

Koveryl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I'm trying to make a NAND backup before I install a .wad I'm not sure about, and I go to the Homebrew Channel. I press the home button, click bootmii, and my TV receives no signal. The wii is still on, but no signal. I have it installed as an IOS and boot2. If there's a problem, or you need more information, let me know.

_acid_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I'm trying to make a NAND backup before I install a .wad I'm not sure about, and I go to the Homebrew Channel. I press the home button, click bootmii, and my TV receives no signal. The wii is still on, but no signal. I have it installed as an IOS and boot2. If there's a problem, or you need more information, let me know.

ur probably just missing the bootmii folder

to make bootmii appear there should be a folder called bootmii in the root of your sd card. inside of it you should have:
armboot, bootmii, and ppcboot.elf. also, you should have another file in the root called boot.elf.

an easy way to fix this (i searched it up just now)
is to run the hackmii installer again, then select the PREPARE SD CARD OPTION. then it should appear.
get it here: http://bootmii.org/download/

by the way, if u got priiloader, you can launch bootmii from there IIRC

Koveryl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ur probably just missing the bootmii folder

to make bootmii appear there should be a folder called bootmii in the root of your sd card. inside of it you should have:
armboot, bootmii, and ppcboot.elf. also, you should have another file in the root called boot.elf.

an easy way to fix this (i searched it up just now)
is to run the hackmii installer again, then select the PREPARE SD CARD OPTION. then it should appear.
get it here: http://bootmii.org/download/

by the way, if u got priiloader, you can launch bootmii from there IIRC

I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall bootmii via smashstack. I still have the same problem, and I did do prepare my SD card. I also turned off my wii, and tried Launch BootMii through PriiLoader, and then through HC. Same problem with both, and the same problem before.

Kandace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I rehacked my wii. I put the modmii you suggested. Everything worked out okay. My question is how do I get games to play off of the sd card? Is there a certain format for the games or a certain sd card? Am I not loading it right?

_acid_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think it could be a problem with my TV?

i highly doubt it.
have you looked to see whats in your sc card , btw?
if it does have the bootmii files, well......

also plz try this again:
download the hackmii installer from http://bootmii.org/download/
just put the boot.elf they give you like this
For example SD:/apps/HackMii/boot.elf (make a new folder for it)

or

use an exploit your familiar with.

if i was a bit too confusing try this guide: http://gwht.wikidot.com/bootmii

_acid_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I rehacked my wii. I put the modmii you suggested. Everything worked out okay. My question is how do I get games to play off of the sd card? Is there a certain format for the games or a certain sd card? Am I not loading it right?

i assume you want to play wii games, correct?
most people play load their games from a USB, rarely a SD card. people like to apps on an sd card and then games on a usb harddrive. but as long as your card has enough space you will all right.

modmii has the ability to download whats needed to and of course, compile a guide.

an easy way to start though, without modmii, is just try out cfg loader
download it here: https://code.google.com/p/cfg-loader/downloads/list
and put the stuff in the correct spot on your sd card.

for what ever storage device you want to put your games on, make a folder called wbfs. thats where your games go.

CJ_Oatmealski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm back. I accidentally downloaded a PAL game, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes and I forced NTSC in Usb Loader Gx and it doesn't work. I also tried it with wiiflow and still nothing. I just get a black and white tv screen with the picture being all messed up and moving around the screen a million miles an hour and I can't see a thing.

I also have Soul Calibur 2 PAL and it works just fine when I force NTSC in wiiflow, it doesn't do well in Usb Gx though. What do I need to do in order to play one of my favorites of all time?

_acid_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm back. I accidentally downloaded a PAL game, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes and I forced NTSC in Usb Loader Gx and it doesn't work. I also tried it with wiiflow and still nothing. I just get a black and white tv screen with the picture being all messed up and moving around the screen a million miles an hour and I can't see a thing.

I also have Soul Calibur 2 PAL and it works just fine when I force NTSC in wiiflow, it doesn't do well in Usb Gx though. What do I need to do in order to play one of my favorites of all time?

just go find a ntsc version. google is your friend!

other than that, make sure your loader is up to date. also; you might wanna try cfg loader too.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
It could actually be a problem with your SD card. There are a few, seemingly random cards that BootMii just can't read. You could always try a couple other cards and see if you can get something to come up on the screen.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Like Maxternal said, it may be a problem with your sd card. Wiibrew has a compatibility list: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/BootMii/SD_Card_Compatibility_List
Note though, that that list isn't anywhere near complete. There are still a lot of sd cards not on that list that do work, but if you go out looking for a new sd card, at least you have a list of some that do work.

Silver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone/anyone,

Previously had a hardmodded Wii (4.3e), softmodded it today using ModMii - and all seemed to go well. Added WiiFlow and USB downloader (as I want to run from USB hdd in future, but don't have a spare hdd at present).

Anyway, my questions was after the install/softmod I just wanted to play my previous backup discs. I tried just putting them in to play but obviously they didn't work. Do I need a separate channel on the Wii menu (backup loader channel or something? gamma? neogamma?), or does it have to be done through HBC (I haven't done any forwarder channels, etc - don't know how - yet)? sorry - I have no idea as I'm new to the softmod scene. Any advice is appreciated.

*EDIT: Tried putting on NeoGamma R9 beta56, in an attempt to have a channel launcher that can read backup DVDs, didn't work, now when I try and go into HBC I just get a permanently black screen. Do I need to run the ModMii again, or do something with PriiLoader or I did make a Nand backup (BootMii on ios) if that's something I need? I know this may seem a little basic for you guys, but I haven't been in this scene (to busy hacking psps before this and more recently jailbreaking iphones/pods, etc)...

_acid_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im not too familiar with playing disk backups btw

yes, go ahead an run modmii. make sure to update all the hacks on the wii! hopefully some new cIOS's fix the problem. U said the HBC blackscreens you? you probably should use a exploit (letterbomb?) to run the hackmii installer to re-install HBC.

you dont not need a specific channel to run back ups. All the loading can be done through homebrew apps.

also, you should have priiloader and bootmii to protect your wii from bricking! safety first!

another note, im not familliar with hardmods either but you should tell us what this hardmod is called too

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5 +1