Hacking no more update nags with gateway 2.3b!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
once you make emunand its splits onto 2 different paths....certain things are shared like SD card contents, but things that happen to the nand like updating or downloading eshop tickets only happens to the nand that it happens on, the update prompt most likely works like
3DS:- "Hello im a 3DS on x.x, is there any updates?"
Server:- "your out of date, here is the latest version."
3DS:- "great, i will nag the crap out of the user once this downloads"

even if the system has been updated before, despite the fact that Nintendo probably does check update history, they would still update it again if the 3DS come along saying "hello im on 4.x" again

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I never get nags I didn't even think this was an issue tbh, I never have done always got my wifi switch on both units. I just delete all my wifi connection settings, turn off spotpass options and put a parental lock code on in Systemnand. Nothing ever comes up on systemnand nor on my 3DS Aqua, never has done. The only time my wifi settings reset back on systemnand is if my modem resets/power cut and then I just erase them again and also if you create a wifi connection in emunand it will create them in systemnand but both are easily solved..

Models are a 3DSXL Silver on 4.3.0 and a 3DS Aqua Blue on 4.5.0 now both on 8x Emunand .

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
I never get nags, I never have done always got my wifi switch on as well on both units. I just delete all my wifi connection settings, turn off spotpass options and put a parental lock code on. Nothing ever comes up on systemnand nor on my 3DS Aqua. The only time my wifi settings reset back on systemnand is if my modem resets and then I just erase them again.

Models are a 3DSXL Silver on 4.3.0 and a 3DS Aqua Blue on 4.5.0 now both on 8x Emunand .

deleting all connection settings on sysnand right?

What can and should be blocked on parental controls for 0 % chance of getting sysnand updated?

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
deleting all connection settings on sysnand right?

What can and should be blocked on parental controls for 0 % chance of getting sysnand updated?

Yeah just create your wifi connections in Emunand so you are all good to go there, then go back into systemnand options then just delete your wifi connections of that also while your at it go into spotpass options and turn all those off and then go into parental lock and create a 4digit code, just make sure you remember the code for future reference!. If you ever then create another wifi connection in emunand just make sure you go back into systemnand options and delete your connections again also when you get a power cut to your modem. I also create the parental lock in emaunand as well, don't know if that makes any difference.

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Turning off spotpass would still be good to do right?

Also I heard that if you setup wifi on emunand but TURN off your 3ds instead of rebooting to sysnand mode , the settings aren't saved in sysnand.. is that true?

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
Turning off spotpass would still be good to do right?

Also I heard that if you setup wifi on emunand but TURN off your 3ds instead of rebooting to sysnand mode , the settings aren't saved in sysnand.. is that true?

If you setup any wifi connection in emunand they will always be created in systemnand no matter what you do, you just have to remember to delete them off systemnand and yes just turn off all spotpass options in systemnand. Best thing to do is setup emunand how you want it and then go back into systemnand options and then sort that out, just delete eveyrthing and turn all off and set a parental lock.

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
If you setup any wifi connection in emunand they will always be created in systemnand no matter what you do, you just have to remember to delete them off systemnand and yes just turn off all spotpass options in systemnand. Best thing to do is setup emunand how you want it and then go back into systemnand options and then sort that out, just delete eveyrthing and turn all off and set a parental lock.

Would you first go back to sysnand and delete the wifi settings after having setup wifi on the emunand for the first time before updating ? just to make sure.

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
Would you first go back to sysnand and delete the wifi settings after having setup wifi on the emunand for the first time before updating ? just to make sure.

If your updating emunand?, then setup your wifi settings there and if you want to be safe then you can go back into systemnand options and erase your wifi connections there and then go back into emunand and update to 8x, just make sure it says GW3D in emunand options next to your firmware before you update else if that is not there you need to create an emunand but I presume you have already sorted that?. Just remember emunand to you is everything now, systemnand now with your emunand created is irrelevant. :)

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you setup any wifi connection in emunand they will always be created in systemnand no matter what you do

actually, if you made the procedure to unlink emunand and sysnand, what you create in emunand shouldn't appear in sysnand.
correct me if I'm wrong.

themyst

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my 3DS XL / Gateway combo, went straight to 2.3b with the latest Emunand.

When I am in sysnand it nagged me once, but I skipped the update. It hasn't asked me since, b ut I made sure to switch wifi off when I know I'm in sysnand (my icons are set up different in sysnand and emunand so I don't get confused).

I use the red gateway cart with a dstwo and it works great. Best of both worlds.

GeneralSmiley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I used to get the update nag in sysnand but I put it into sleep mode and let it download a little of a new update, then opened it and turned it off. Tada, no more nags since and with all wifi/spotpass settings removed I am hopeful it is now gone forever!

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to get the update nag in sysnand but I put it into sleep mode and let it download a little of a new update, then opened it and turned it off. Tada, no more nags since and with all wifi/spotpass settings removed I am hopeful it is now gone forever!
That's awfully risky. Also sounds like something a Nintendo exec would say if he wanted to screw over Gateway users...

GeneralSmiley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Download not install. When you put the 3DS in sleep mode it background DOWNLOADS the update not installs it. If you already have the nag screen then you have already downloaded an update so no additional risk. Also that is a very unfriendly thing to accuse someone of, especially as you have no idea what you're talking about.

EDIT - changed the update to an update for clarity.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Known bugs
"All changes done in EmuNAND Wifi Settings are also applied to SysNAND."
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Gateway_3DS

you probably don't know of the possibility of unlinking emunand from sysnand (one of the reasons was stopping games bought/downloaded from the eshop in emunand to appear in sysnand).
I'll search for the guide I made and put the link in my signature.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT