Homebrew NitroGrafx

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Using TWL++ from and SD card and unfortunately the 0.9 has some significant graphical glitches at the bottom of the screen.
Unfortunately, I also have to confirm the same thing from flashcard (tested on r4 Gold Pro and Ace3DS+ clone). Apart from the possibility to select between RGB and composite color mode (an interesting feature anyway) I noticed these graphical flaws on the bottom side, which seem to be present especially on 1:1 aspect ratio.
I was at least hoping that adpcm encoding had been introduced, to hear voice acting in PCE CD-ROM games, but instead it is still absent, sadly.
I tested Sailor Moon (pce cd-rom visual novel) which randomly crashes during transitions, and in the game menu the cursor is missing, thus not being able to continue. Private Eye Dol, apart from the lack of dialogue, works perfectly, at least until the last chapter (where I got to).
Version 0.7 still looks the best, at least for now. What do you users think? Have you tested the new version a bit? What does it offer more than the previous one, since nothing is specified on Github?

chimera2211

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hello, I put a selection of roms in roms folder in root of 32 GB microSD card and everything works great, everything except loading states of nitrografx, I tried saving and loading states for multiple games and every time I have to reset my DSi. I use everything stock, I didn't modify anything except adding GBA bios in _GBA in root folder, and adding box art.
This is a freshly installed microSD so I'm not trying to load old save files, this is my first time trying turbografx and neo geo pocket. There's around 22 roms in folder A and 33 in folder B.
Previously to this card I used another smaller 2gb card with hiyaCFW and twilight menu probably version 9.0 (I didn't use it for a long time), so I wanted to start fresh with newly updated Twilight menu without hiyaCFW. The only files I transferred from the old card are roms. Also I'm only using hucard roms for pc engine, no cd-roms.
Am I doing something wrong? this is directory structure of roms folder:
1 GBC
2 GBA
3 NDS
4 DSiware
5 NES
6 SNES
Sega GameGear
Sega Genesis
Sega Master System
SNK Neo Geo Pocket
Turbografx 16 - pc engine A
Turbografx 16 - pc engine B

ryba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Yes. Nitrografx v. 0.9 included in TWiLight Menu have issues with save states.
You can grab v. 0.7. Saves works here (what I've tested quickly).
Except 0.7 can't open Akumajou Dracula X - Chi No Rondo (English - Fully Translated) bin/cue file ( 0.9 can ), I don't see much difference.
Problems with saves on v. 0.9 is the same on DS and DSi. It creates saves, but can't read it properly?
Edit:
0.7 can open Akumajou Dracula X but I had to rename file (and edit cue) to not contain empty SPACE character (Akumajou_Dracula_X)

Last edited by ryba,

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's just a pity that the author didn't find the time to fix and correct some defects of the 0.9 version, and to finally introduce the adpcm encoding, to be able to hear the dialogues present in some pce cd-rom games (mostly jrpg games or Visual Novels): let's hope he will find the time to do it in the near, not too distant future... 😉

Reactions: Garcimak

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I tried 0.9 on TWL++ yes, save states are crashing hucards, cdroms, but you can still open menu, and actually you can load some progress. I tested it on Castlevania Dracula X, I mean game save (not the save state) presist in ram so right after loading save state on bios screen, choose CDROM image again, and after that you can select save game from game menu. I wonder how orginally progress of the game is stored, on the hucard?
Latest changes of trubografx I see was month ago and there's edited savestate functions so who knows... not implemented yet it seems, looks like preparation.
Besides version 0.9 as have some issues with background scaling (scaled to fit seems to be working only right), also sprites doesn't match to background position as mentioned before the best is seen with 1:1 scaling on bottom part of the screen. Version 0.7 works fine in this matter, however DSi mode crash, but DS mode with DSi CPU speed do the job.

I did both version comparision with Bomberman '93 example as the stage resemble a grid, the more player is moving to bottom of the screen differences between sprite and background postion on y axis are getting bigger.
Original full screenshot:
orgScreenshot.png

version 0.7 on the left v0.9 on the right
v07title.png
v09title.png

v0711.png
v0911.png

v07aspect.png
v09aspect.png

v07fit.png
v09fit.png

verion v0.9 start Y line depending to scale mode is the same or one line differece like in v0.7, also sprite position seems the same as v0.7, but background looks like has constant factor scaling no matter which display scaling option is choosen.
So it seems "constant" scale factor of the background, or scaling in general need some fixes in v0.9. (?gfx.s)

I was thinking about some improvements for the 1:1 scale method, to get a pixel perfect and display all the image content.
Let's say to move rest of the image to second screen. Is that possible? I think some other emulator actually can do this. MSXds i guess, so for the bomberman could be a great example for it. First 32 lines - the status bar would go to the subscreen. It would be nice to consider.

Last edited by plasturion,

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm probably knocking down an open door, but maybe this will be useful for other people who, like me, found themselves stuck converting their USA or JAP CD-ROM with PCToy32.

As an alternative solution you have CHDMAN, it is a small program which will allow you to convert your CD games in bin/cue or GDI format (pce, psx, dreamcast...etc...) to CHD format and vice versa used for recalbox, batocera, retrobat...etc... it works very well for NitroGrafx.

For example, you have a game pce cd with a CUE file and several BIN files, cover it in CHD then convert the CHD to CUE/BIN, CHDMAN will combine all the BIN files of your game into one BIN file so you can play your game easily with NitroGrafx.

Here is the program link:

https://wiki.recalbox.com/en/tutorials/utilities/rom-conversion/chdman

Which leads me to ask this question given that CHD files are lighter than BIN/CUE, @FluBBa do you think it would be possible to include this file format for NitroGrafx?

Reactions: wavemotion

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm probably knocking down an open door, but maybe this will be useful for other people who, like me, found themselves stuck converting their USA or JAP CD-ROM with PCToy32.

As an alternative solution you have CHDMAN, it is a small program which will allow you to convert your CD games in bin/cue or GDI format (pce, psx, dreamcast...etc...) to CHD format and vice versa used for recalbox, batocera, retrobat...etc... it works very well for NitroGrafx.

For example, you have a game pce cd with a CUE file and several BIN files, cover it in CHD then convert the CHD to CUE/BIN, CHDMAN will combine all the BIN files of your game into one BIN file so you can play your game easily with NitroGrafx.

Here is the program link:

https://wiki.recalbox.com/en/tutorials/utilities/rom-conversion/chdman

Which leads me to ask this question given that CHD files are lighter than BIN/CUE, @FluBBa do you think it would be possible to include this file format for NitroGrafx?
Hi. Sorry to butt in. I think you got confused: the ones that need to be converted with that tool are the hucards. The CD images (American, European or Japanese versions, whatever) in bin/cue format work immediately as is, without need for conversion. You can also use only the data track (track02) without the music tracks. Only downside: adpcm encoding doesn't work, so you can't hear the voice acting in any game. I don't see the need for another format, since they are easily found online in bin/cue format, ready to play with. If I said something wrong, the chief will certainly correct me.

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello my friend, I hope you are well :)
Sorry to butt in.
But what a spirit of contradiction! So we can no longer say any stupidity quietly on this forum?
I'm kidding :P:D

I think you got confused: the ones that need to be converted with that tool are the hucards. The CD images (American, European or Japanese versions, whatever) in bin/cue format work immediately as is, without need for conversion.
you are right my friend, it was me who was wrong, the tree structure given in the instructions (PCToy32.txt) included at the end the possibility of creating a CD-ROM directory and this misled me, you have done well to remove the doubt, PCToy32 is indeed made for hucards and not for CD-ROMs, thank you for the clarification ;)
The CD images (American, European or Japanese versions, whatever) in bin/cue format work immediately as is, without need for conversion.
In fact if I proposed this solution it is because I encountered the problem of multiple BIN files for a game, it is with this solution (CHDMAN) that I managed to bring together all the BIN files of the game in one only BIN file, I could have used another tool like Binmerge, but CHDMAN has the advantage of also supporting the GDI format, which makes it a multi-use tool, on the other hand as it is quite recent (2 years I think), it works with recent OS like Win 11 for my part, it is also a tool that can prove to be useful for modifying MAME games, in short it seemed interesting to present it here as part of a use with NitroGrafx.

You can also use only the data track (track02) without the music tracks. Only downside: adpcm encoding doesn't work, so you can't hear the voice acting in any game. I don't see the need for another format, since they are easily found online in bin/cue format, ready to play with.
There, I want to say that it depends on the use that we want to make but I think that at this level your solution and mine are the same, two ways of doing things, two methods that work. ;)

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello does cd and super cd roms work on the original ds ty?
Of course, lad. Why wouldn't they work? Obviously you have to use a slot-1 flashcart compatible with Nitrografx (I assume any old or new flashcart will work). If you want to know how, read the previous posts or the readme.txt of this emulator.

yoooblls

Trophies
XP
Country
Cambodia
Of course, lad. Why wouldn't they work? Obviously you have to use a slot-1 flashcart compatible with Nitrografx (I assume any old or new flashcart will work). If you want to know how, read the previous posts or the readme.txt of this emulator.
Btw does the fatal fury special works on nitro grafc?

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Reactions: Nikokaro

yoooblls

Trophies
XP
Country
Cambodia
Hi @Nikokaro , I hope you're well my friend :)

I did some tests with the latest version of nitrografx, in the end I use versions V0.7 and V0.9 (for flashcard not the twl version) because they complement each other quite well in terms of compatibility, here is the link to the results of my tests :

https://gbatemp.net/threads/can-nitrografx-on-twilight-menu-run-rondo-of-blood.642916/#post-10289587
Yoooo bro tylet me check
Post automatically merged:

Bruh first thing i see fatal fury special doenst work on both versionssss

Reactions: Indy13

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi @Nikokaro , I hope you're well my friend :)

I did some tests with the latest version of nitrografx, in the end I use versions V0.7 and V0.9....
Hello. Pretty good, and how are you? Ultimately I continue to use version 0.7 because it seems the most stable one. Unfortunately, as mentioned several times, adpcm encoding is still not supported, so in my favorite games, jrpg and visual novel games, you can't hear the funny japanese voice acting, so they lose all their appeal.
Thank you on behalf of everyone for your tests.

Bruh first thing i see fatal fury special doenst work on both versionssss
Lad, you could play the Sega Genesis version of that title via JEnesisDS; it's not bad at all.

Reactions: Garcimak and Indy13

yoooblls

Trophies
XP
Country
Cambodia
Hello. Pretty good, and how are you? Ultimately I continue to use version 0.7 because it seems the most stable one. Unfortunately, as mentioned several times, adpcm encoding is still not supported, so in my favorite games, jrpg and visual novel games, you can't hear the funny japanese voice acting, so they lose all their appeal.
Thank you on behalf of everyone for your tests.

Lad, you could play the Sega Genesis version of that title via JEnesisDS; it's not bad at all.
Well i could play the neo geo
Man i wish i have an pc

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well i could play the neo...
Sure, if you were able to convert it or find it online pre-converted. Otherwise you have to make do. Besides, the Mega Drive version (JEnesisDS) is graphically better than the PC Engine CD-ROM version; the latter has only qualitatively better (but also bulkier) bgms, but on DS it makes little or no difference. So settle for the JEnesisDS version, and scram, lad. 😉

yoooblls

Trophies
XP
Country
Cambodia
Sure, if you were able to convert it or find it online pre-converted. Otherwise you have to make do. Besides, the Mega Drive version (JEnesisDS) is graphically better than the PC Engine CD-ROM version; the latter has only qualitatively better (but also bulkier) bgms, but on DS it makes little or no difference. So settle for the JEnesisDS version, and scram, lad. 😉
Hey bro but you have an alr converted game that used a uni bios right i have 1 question doe sit saves your uni bios settings fo the game?

1 more question can i convert games to eas than mvs i like gqrou wi5h training mode

Cant lie too its a decwntport only problem is scaling with jensisds man i wish we can just inject rom in tge sonic collection game for the ds it has the best version of jenesisds that we cant use it or the source codes are gone

God damn cd games took like 4gb of my 16 gb sd card from china damnmmnnm ands i only download 4 games damn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto