Can nitrografx on twilight menu run Rondo of Blood?

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The NitroGrafx page on gamebrew has a compatibility list for pc engine cd games but it doesnt have rondo of blood on that list.

Last edited by Xdqwerty,

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
good timing to ask the question, I did a test session last week, I installed two versions of NitroGrafx on my flashcard, V07 and V09, most of the games were tested on V09, V07 is only used to operate those who are not launching with V09, here is the result:

V09
nitrografxv09.png

For the V09 you can add :

Xanadu 1&2
Moonlight Lady
Paradion
Patlabor

V07
nitrografxv07.png

On both versions :
- Fatal Fury Special doesn't work on both (characters don't move)
- Steam's Hearts (very laggy but less on V09)
- Mirai Shounen Conan doesn't work on both (black screen after intro)

Reactions: Nikokaro

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
good timing to ask the question, I did a test session last week, I installed two versions of NitroGrafx on my flashcard, V07 and V09, most of the games were tested on V09, V07 is only used to operate those who are not launching with V09, here is the result:

V09
View attachment 404168

For the V09 you can add :

Xanadu 1&2
Moolight Lady
Paradion
Patlabor

V07
View attachment 404169

On both versions :
- Fatal Fury Special doesn't work on both (characters don't move)
-Steam's Hearts (very laggy but less on V09)
- Mirai Shounen Conan doesn't work on both (black screen after intro)
Does it work yes or no?

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I report when it doesn't work, in other words if nothing is reported it means it's working, you're welcome, thank you...

ryba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Yes. Nitrografx v. 0.9 included in TWiLight Menu have issues with save states.
You can grab v. 0.7. Saves works here (what I've tested quickly).
Except 0.7 can't open Akumajou Dracula X - Chi No Rondo (English - Fully Translated) bin/cue file ( 0.9 can ), I don't see much difference.
Problems with saves on v. 0.9 is the same on DS and DSi. It creates saves, but can't read it properly?
Edit:
0.7 can open Akumajou Dracula X but I had to rename file (and edit cue) to not contain empty SPACE character (Akumajou_Dracula_X)

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I can open Akumajou Dracula X - Chi No Rondo with 0.7, saving states works partialy so it's fine to use it as hardware save in game. After load a save state I have to load bin/cue cd image again. You just boot a game, skip intro and choose save data.
0.7 also open filenames with a space characters. My first line of cue contain
Code:
FILE "Castlevania - Rondo of Blood.bin" BINARY

Evilengine

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

May I ask why you want to play it so much on the DS with a screen resolution that either squashes or cuts the screen?
This games artworks deserve the optimum, if you ask me.
I am also a fan of running emulators on every device possible, but seeing SNES emulation on DS once, which ran really ok but the pixels were just too cropped to have fun imho.

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think this game is working fine on 256x192 and 1:1 pixels ratio, sometimes you don't see much under your feet. I also like playing without any scaling filter and cropped image doesn't cut too much here. If you are using DSi with twilight menu set the emulator in DS mode and processor speed to 133Mhz (Y button), It gives much more smoothness. That's all speaking of 0.7, as for 0.9 delivered with TWL menu++ has a bug/issues with scaling factor resulting you actually cannot set 1:1 aspect ratio (it's also scaled and sprites mismatch to background coordinates).

Last edited by plasturion,

ichig0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

May I ask why you want to play it so much on the DS with a screen resolution that either squashes or cuts the screen?
This games artworks deserve the optimum, if you ask me.
I am also a fan of running emulators on every device possible, but seeing SNES emulation on DS once, which ran really ok but the pixels were just too cropped to have fun imho.

I didn't mind the screen size too much with SNES on DS, but mine did *not* run ok at all. I don't think I even got one game to work.. I was using the bundled emulator from twilight menu though. What emulator did you use?

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I didn't mind the screen size too much with SNES on DS, but mine did *not* run ok at all. I don't think I even got one game to work.. I was using the bundled emulator from twilight menu though. What emulator did you use?
did you download the bios?

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hmm. No. I thought Twilight Menu was already loaded and ready to go. So it needs a bios? Do you know where it's supposed to go? I just see a bunch of .nds files in the emulator folder..
being honest i dont remember since my sd card is broken

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hmm. No. I thought Twilight Menu was already loaded and ready to go. So it needs a bios? Do you know where it's supposed to go? I just see a bunch of .nds files in the emulator folder..
You will need a bios for each emulator where it is necessary and generally speaking, yes, bios are recommended to ensure better stability and compatibility, TWL++ is a menu, it includes emulators but it is up to you to add the files necessary to make all the emulators work, once again some will be able to work without others not, to find out you must refer to the instructions for each emulator, you will find all this information on gamebrew, I will leave you a link

https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/TWiLight_Menu++

On the TWL++ description page, in the emulator table, click on each of the emulators, this will take you to their respective description

Reactions: ichig0

ichig0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You will need a bios for each emulator where it is necessary and generally speaking, yes, bios are recommended to ensure better stability and compatibility, TWL++ is a menu, it includes emulators but it is up to you to add the files necessary to make all the emulators work, once again some will be able to work without others not, to find out you must refer to the instructions for each emulator, you will find all this information on gamebrew, I will leave you a link

https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/TWiLight_Menu++

On the TWL++ description page, in the emulator table, click on each of the emulators, this will take you to their respective description

Dang.. Okay so just to be clear, it does not *appear* that TWLmenu requires a bios. Which makes sense because I've never actually seen it stated that it did (for Twilight Menu at least?) but if that's not the problem, I really don't know what's wrong. Dangit. Thought I had found a fix.

EDIT: this is what it runs like for me (click for awesome audio glitches)

Last edited by ichig0,

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dang.. Okay so just to be clear, it does not *appear* that TWLmenu requires a bios. Which makes sense because I've never actually seen it stated that it did (for Twilight Menu at least?) but if that's not the problem, I really don't know what's wrong. Dangit. Thought I had found a fix.

EDIT: this is what it runs like for me (click for awesome audio glitches)
I wasn't able to get the sound on your video but that doesn't change much because I see that your problem with your video is linked to the SNES emulation, honestly, I'm not going to lie to you, that's not the case. is not the best machine emulated on DS and DSI, what you can try is the previous standalone emulator, either directly from your SD if you use a flashcard or if you go through TWL, you put the .nds file in the roms\nds directory, and the SNES directory at the root of your sd with the cfg file, it's not sure that these are better, you have to test, use this version to do the test:

https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/SNEmulDS

Reactions: ichig0

ichig0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I should have mentioned it was *snes* I was having trouble with.. Notoriously bad on the DS/DSi. Thanks for the link though I will get around to trying it out tonight and maybe my DSi won't have a stroke. Maybe lol

EDIT: by the way, who is that in your profile pic? Looks like some fun

Reactions: Indy13

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
EDIT: by the way, who is that in your profile pic? Looks like some fun
It's a ridiculous photo montage of Woody Allen's face on GG Allin's body, these characters are so polar opposites of each other that I found it funny :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1