Hacking Nintendont

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the original disc header for Peach's Castle? I'd like to add a special case for it if there's an identifying magic number that isn't the standard one.

EDIT: Got it from elsewhere. Literally the entire header except for the ID6 and title are 00, so I'll have to do a single-disc exception using memcmp().
Code:
000000  30 30 00 45 30 31 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
000010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
000020  4E 44 44 45 4D 4F 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
000030  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Last edited by GerbilSoft,
Reactions: niuus

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
What is the original disc header for Peach's Castle? I'd like to add a special case for it if there's an identifying magic number that isn't the standard one.

ND-DE-MO

It's just the magic word that is missing at 0x1C so it's rejected by the bios, same as booting wrong region on wrong ipl.
ND probably means NR Reader Demo???

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country

EDIT: Got it from elsewhere. Literally the entire header except for the ID6 and title are 00, so I'll have to do a single-disc exception using memcmp().
Code:
000000  30 30 00 45 30 31 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
000010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
000020  4E 44 44 45 4D 4F 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
000030  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Hate to bother you but there's an alpha version of Sonic Adventure with a similar issue, you probably know which one I'm talking about, can something similar be done to solve the issue?

Also, less I forget the AGB player, all these games I hex edited them to change them to the Japanese version and now they work fine, but it would be nice to have the GBA-GCN games work without the GC bios :D

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate to bother you but there's an alpha version of Sonic Adventure with a similar issue, you probably know which one I'm talking about, can something similar be done to solve the issue?
Not even close to the same issue; that has a valid header, but the region code is 'S'. I'll add an exception to handle RELSAB as NTSC-J. (I think the only other known game with RELSAB is the Metroid Prime 3 prototype, which won't run on a retail GCN or Nintendont due to lack of memory.)

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your response. First I was launching it through USB Loader GX, but auto-launch is off for me, so the system is always kicked to Nintendont itself. But then I tried launching it directly through homebrew channel. Same thing. This error was happening sometimes, not all the time. I was on version 3.x, can't remember exactly which one. I tried updating it manually just a while ago (I had it updated with Nintendont itself), so I grabbed the loader.dol and xml from github. Looks it is better, no issues since then, but I'm afraid it might happen again.

But does anyone have an idea about what was causing this strange behaviour?
There was a version a while back that the update function didn't work properly. So you had to update manually. It was recently fixed.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks for your response. First I was launching it through USB Loader GX, but auto-launch is off for me, so the system is always kicked to Nintendont itself. But then I tried launching it directly through homebrew channel. Same thing. This error was happening sometimes, not all the time. I was on version 3.x, can't remember exactly which one. I tried updating it manually just a while ago (I had it updated with Nintendont itself), so I grabbed the loader.dol and xml from github. Looks it is better, no issues since then, but I'm afraid it might happen again.

But does anyone have an idea about what was causing this strange behaviour?
if you have a controller.ini file on the root of your usb/sd delete it along with ninconfig those files sometimes corrupt.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ND-DE-MO

It's just the magic word that is missing at 0x1C so it's rejected by the bios, same as booting wrong region on wrong ipl.
ND probably means NR Reader Demo???

It's a very early demo so assumed it was "Nintendo Dolphin DEMO".

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Not even close to the same issue; that has a valid header, but the region code is 'S'. I'll add an exception to handle RELSAB as NTSC-J. (I think the only other known game with RELSAB is the Metroid Prime 3 prototype, which won't run on a retail GCN or Nintendont due to lack of memory.)
Either ways it would be great if those were fixed, thanks :)

Kiesman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there everyone.

For some reason I can launch my gamecube backups directly from Nintendont, but when I try to launch Nintendont through USB Loader GX, Nintendont hangs at "Checking Storage Devices", then goes back to USB Loader GX. When it goes back to that, it can no longer initialize my usb device.

I use a 1 GB sd card for my homebrew and apps, and then a 128 GB flash drive for my games.

I installed everything I have according to this guide here:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/

And then I updated usb loader and Nintendont through the apps themselves.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi there everyone.

For some reason I can launch my gamecube backups directly from Nintendont, but when I try to launch Nintendont through USB Loader GX, Nintendont hangs at "Checking Storage Devices", then goes back to USB Loader GX. When it goes back to that, it can no longer initialize my usb device.

I use a 1 GB sd card for my homebrew and apps, and then a 128 GB flash drive for my games.

I installed everything I have according to this guide here:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/

And then I updated usb loader and Nintendont through the apps themselves.
this is an issue on usbloader gx side not nintendont maybe outdated usbloader gx or something.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Kiesman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
this is an issue on usbloader gx side not nintendont maybe outdated usbloader gx or something.
I just updated my usb loader gx, and also the problem seems to start with Nintendont when it won't finish the "Checking USB storage devices" step. At least for now I can play them directly through Nintendont, but it's not ideal.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just updated my usb loader gx, and also the problem seems to start with Nintendont when it won't finish the "Checking USB storage devices" step. At least for now I can play them directly through Nintendont, but it's not ideal.

Are you sure it's the latest version? It should say "r1260" in the upper right-hand corner of the credits screen.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
thats an issue on how usbloader gx is handling nintendont if nintendont works perfectly directly from homebrew channel then nintendont isnt the issue.

Protatoxxxeater

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ever since the upadtes that stopped using kinobiwii.bin for cheat handling none of the codes have worked. after i updated for the first time they didnt work, but luckyily i had an old usb with a kinobiwii.bin compatible version on it. however i recently lost these files and the cheats functionality on the new updates dont work, some games hangup on a black screen after the nintndo and sound provider logo and others just dont load the (previously working) cheats at all. can somebody help my

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Is there a way you can download save game data and use it?
Yes, this will require GC save manager, all you have to do is import the .cgi of the save game by saving to the sd card and running GC save manager (u can find the program on homebrew browser)
its much simpler to download dolphin and then use dolphin GC memory card manager than using wii homebrew to manage saves.

Protatoxxxeater

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its much simpler to download dolphin and then use dolphin GC memory card manager than using wii homebrew to manage saves.
Dolphine GC manager requires RAW files of memory card, it takes up more storage on the SD card and will most likely use a WII HOMEBREW to imprt the files, your statement is quite contradictory, while i do belive dolphin has a cleaner look, it is alot less efficient for what s/he has to do

Last edited by Protatoxxxeater,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/qRuNxHqwazs?si=0AhJg_9A8kf-V0iF