Hacking Nintendont

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
So we've got an issue. A lot of the Virtua Striker Triforce v4 ISO's have apparently modified so they are the same as Virtua Striker v3. If you have those (GVSP8P, GVSE8P, GVSJ8P), it will still show as Virtua Striker 3.
I mentioned that before, Virtua Striker 4 2006 is shown as "Virtua Striker 2002", F-Zero AX is shown as "F-Zero GX", both Mario Kart Arcade games are shown as "SD Gundam" and all N64toGCN isos I have are shown as "Sonic Adventure DX" but I could live with that if it doesn't get fixed!

The only solution I could come up with for this issue is to make Nintendont read the full ID rather than the first letters only, I know it will be a hassle to make all regions but that's the only solution I could think of.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Fire Emblem seems to no longer crash, can anyone confirm?

I want to confirm - Is anyone else unable to access Chao racing in Sonic Adventure DX USA?

I'm not posting and posting because it's fun - I'm posting again because no one has either confirmed or denied this problem and so I don't know whether it should be updated on the compat. list...
Doesn't work here either, using v2.188 NTSC-U. The max pads problem with GG was fixed though.

Reactions: pokeparadox

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I mentioned that before, Virtua Striker 4 2006 is shown as "Virtua Striker 2002", F-Zero AX is shown as "F-Zero GX", both Mario Kart Arcade games are shown as "SD Gundam" and all N64toGCN isos I have are shown as "Sonic Adventure DX" but I could live with that if it doesn't get fixed!

The only solution I could come up with for this issue is to make Nintendont read the full ID rather than the first letters only, I know it will be a hassle to make all regions but that's the only solution I could think of.
But some dumbass made the title ID's for the Virtua Striker v4 the same as those from Virtua Striker v3, then uploaded it. There isn't a way to fix it unless you change the title ID back to the ones on GameTDB.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SADX issue is caused by this entry in titles.txt:
REL-Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (Preview) Prototype
The SADX Preview has title ID "RELSAB", which is a generic ID that's also used in the Metroid Prime 3 GDEV prototype as well as all Wii System Update partitions. This ID shouldn't be relied on for identification for this reason.

Another option is to use some sort of hash (CRC32?) of the title ID and game name from the disc header, though this is obviously slower than simply checking the title ID.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make the loader have Memory Card Emulation turned on by default? Works for nearly every gamecube game and it will stop first time Nintendont users from posting how to enable it.

Fire Emblem seems to no longer crash, can anyone confirm?

It only crashes for one or two users. I got flamed at for changing it to working because it was working for everyone else. Probably a compression issue but who knows

Swarhog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Insane question: Is there a reason Nintendont doesn't use the Wii U's hardware to output games at 2x resolution?
Is it just impossible to implement? It'd be really fucking cool.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Insane question: Is there a reason Nintendont doesn't use the Wii U's hardware to output games at 2x resolution?

You answered yourself to your question ;)

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendont runs in Wii mode, which has a completely different GPU compared to Wii U mode. Among other things, the Wii GPU would have to be emulated in order to get it working properly on the regular GPU. (I don't think it's accessible in Wii mode, but considering DIOS MIOS manages to use USB in GameCube mode, this might not be entirely true.)

Swarhog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendont runs in Wii mode, which has a completely different GPU compared to Wii U mode. Among other things, the Wii GPU would have to be emulated in order to get it working properly on the regular GPU. (I don't think it's accessible in Wii mode, but considering DIOS MIOS manages to use USB in GameCube mode, this might not be entirely true.)
So maybe when the U part of the WiiU is hacked.

MrRom92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games already look great to my eyes. I honestly can't even tell if they're being rendered at 1080p or just upscaled, but either way the quality is sharp... Just look at sonic adventure. Tell me it's being rendered as native 1080 and I'll believe it.

I'm probably gonna chalk it up to the wii u having much better scaling hardware than my LCD. My TV doesn't do so well, especially with composite signals... Sega Genesis and Laserdiscs are especially bad with many strange artifacting from the upscaling but the lag is at a bare minimum, not even existent so, you win some you lose some I guess.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
nakata6790 There are already two builds of Nintendont necessary. One to use the original hardware such as bongos, microphone and GBA-link and the other one is the official version. If I have a library of 50+ games it sounds ridiculous to have to use 10 different versions of Nintendont to be able to play my library, I believe regressions should be addressed as soon as possible before major changes are done to the code which could make it more difficult to fix games caused by updated revisions, and basically going backwards in a sense. I just can't agree that you should only focus on fixing compatibility for games that don't work and breaking a bunch of other games along the way, your possibly causing a bigger headache down the road and most people aren't going to want to have a difficult setup where u need 5,6 or 10 different builds of a program let alone search for which rev is the one that works for your game, again it sounds crazy.

Optimally and hopefully at the end of the day we will only need two or at the most three revisions of Nintendont to run everything ;)

However it will take time and patience since it seems we've reached a stage in development where things need to be fixed on a per game basis. So make sure to donate and make it worthwhile for fix to continue to work as hard as he has lol.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I play a GameCube game on my Wii U using Nintendont my TV says the resolution is 1080p.

To clarify, the Wii is simply a more powerful GameCube and the Wii U is simply a more powerful Wii. All three system use a PowerPC CPU and an ATI/AMD GPU.

GameCube games looked beautiful on the GameCube to begin with.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update on nintendont.net it's had over 2300 visitors since it started which was only 10 hours or so ago.

I guess it really helps some people and I am getting feedback from users which hasn't happened in a long time .

Anyway.. will test more games soon.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U upscales Wii mode to whatever was set in the Wii U system settings. It's still being rendered at 480i/480p/576i internally.

Wii games ARE are being rendered internally at either 720p or 1080p depending on the game. Don't know about GameCube games but Wii game will look better on the Wii U since they can be play in their native resolution.

I don't care, they all still look great.

Paper Mario is pretty interesting to play with the Widescreen hack on. Never realized that stuff was being cropped on the GameCube.

Update on nintendont.net it's had over 2300 visitors since it started which was only 10 hours or so ago.

I guess it really helps some people and I am getting feedback from users which hasn't happened in a long time .

Anyway.. will test more games soon.
Great to hear. Keep up the great work.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
The SADX issue is caused by this entry in titles.txt:

The SADX Preview has title ID "RELSAB", which is a generic ID that's also used in the Metroid Prime 3 GDEV prototype as well as all Wii System Update partitions. This ID shouldn't be relied on for identification for this reason.

Another option is to use some sort of hash (CRC32?) of the title ID and game name from the disc header, though this is obviously slower than simply checking the title ID.
Hey GerbilSoft, I haven't seen you here in a while, last time I recall you said something about adding support for compressed isos, any luck with that or did you just give up?

But some dumbass made the title ID's for the Virtua Striker v4 the same as those from Virtua Striker v3, then uploaded it. There isn't a way to fix it unless you change the title ID back to the ones on GameTDB.
Weird GameTDB + USB Loader GX works fine for me with all games, it shows Virtua Striker 4 2006 with the correct title!

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey GerbilSoft, I haven't seen you here in a while, last time I recall you said something about adding support for compressed isos, any luck with that or did you just give up?
I've been busy with all sorts of other things. While it would be nice to implement compression, it's easier to just get a larger hard drive. :v

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 229 steam games more than I thought