Hacking Nintendont

ppmeis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am trying the same, same errors (FAT32 8GB USB Drive, real Wii). I am now trying with a 2GB Pendrive with FAT format...I will report in 10 minutes.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i know it suports fat32 with 32 cluster that is what im using but i dont know if it suports flash drives? does it? i couldnt get flashdrives to work until i used the hdd but maybe i was doing something wring with the flash drives, does anyone have this working with a flashdrive instead of an hdd?

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I've tried a flash drive patriot with fat32 32KB clusters and it works, I've also used a WD HDD with fat32 64KB clusters with success.

For Nintendont to show the games I had to remove my SD card for the HDD but not for the flash drive.

d4mation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When did you remove the SD card? Or are you loading Nintendont itself using the flash drive? I've always loaded all my Homebrew via SD and for backups stored those on USB, but I suppose some people load Homebrew via USB.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think most ppl with usb issues are using the wrong port. Since I don't own a WiiU myself i'm not sure about this, but afaik they should use the upper port in the back

Most devices should work fine (even devices with 4k sector size)

If using a USB Y-cable, they do go in the back ports behind the Wii U, if one combination doesn't work, swapping the top USB with the bottom will work; that's what I did with USB Loader GX and loads just fine :D

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
When did you remove the SD card? Or are you loading Nintendont itself using the flash drive? I've always loaded all my Homebrew via SD and for backups stored those on USB, but I suppose some people load Homebrew via USB.
From what I understand you cannot load nintendontUSB from SD. It must be loaded from USB and preferably with the SD card removed just to be sure there aren't any complications.

Reactions: d4mation

Onion_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
Excuse me? Did you quote my post about bluetooth?
I did, and I posted why I thought people were having issues with USB issues as well as a comment about bluetooth. However OverJoy clarified a post later about why people were having issues, so I edited my comment out as it no longer was valid. What I said to your post was that if you wanted bluetooth compatibility you have to include the drivers to the bluetooth module in the kernel so that it could address it.

d4mation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured the app could be loaded from SD and it would load the backups from USB like Devolution and many other backup loaders. I guess that explains the problems I've been having; I'll be sure to give that a shot later on tonight.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think most ppl with usb issues are using the wrong port. Since I don't own a WiiU myself i'm not sure about this, but afaik they should use the upper port in the back

Most devices should work fine (even devices with 4k sector size)

I managed to get it to work with a small usb but it always freezes on Checking fs on my 2tb...how do I fix?

ppmeis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok I tried again and now it works! Well it detects my Smash Bros Melee NTSC iso, but when I press A button, game crashes :/. So we have to load Nintendont from USB, d4mation you can do it on HomeBrew Channel also: just select the source where HBC checks apps folder (with GC controller is X button).

Reactions: d4mation

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I did, and I posted why I thought people were having issues with USB issues as well as a comment about bluetooth. However OverJoy clarified a post later about why people were having issues, so I edited my comment out as it no longer was valid. What I said to your post was that if you wanted bluetooth compatibility you have to include the drivers to the bluetooth module in the kernel so that it could address it.
Ah, okay.
Now where could you get drivers... Could extract it from IOS..? (since there's two different versions of IOS for different wireless chips)

Onion_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah, okay.
Now where could you get drivers... Could extract it from IOS..? (since there's two different versions of IOS for different wireless chips)

Conceptually, if all you wanted was classic controller support, I suppose you could port the devkit libraries for it over. Bluetooth is addressed similarly as both HID and USB.

Onion_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
From what I understand you cannot load nintendontUSB from SD. It must be loaded from USB and preferably with the SD card removed just to be sure there aren't any complications.

This is most likely correct. If anyone bothered to read the both main.c in the kernel and the changelog posted in Nintendont_USB they would have seen that SDHC_Init() in main.c is the call to open the SD Card and the way to read from the SD card is contained in diskio.c which is addressed by ff.c when calling read and writes. So according to the changelog, they switched to the SD code to USB which means that any call from ff.c to read from diskio would also have to been changed to also read and write to the USB. This disables ALL ability to see from the SD card since it a.) never is initilized and b.) never has the filesystem mounted to it. If you launch Nintendont, do so from the USB and have all config files on the USB as well. I don't know if overjoy changed ff.c to address "hidden" USB drives.

line 1994 in ff.c shows this in the check_fs function:
if (LD_WORD(&fs->win[BS_55AA]) != 0xAA55) /* Check record signature (always placed at offset 510 even if the sector size is >512) */
return 2;

So anything other than a valid Fat signature will result in the file system not recognizing the drive as a valid file system would return an error message.

Reactions: MassiveRican

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Conceptually, if all you wanted was classic controller support, I suppose you could port the devkit libraries for it over. Bluetooth is addressed similarly as both HID and USB.

.. Devkit libs run on the PPC.
The game uses the PPC and Nintendont runs on the ARM to route everything like a gamecube.

I would like to use the Wii U pro controller too.

I don't think memory is an issue, so I should try my ideas when I get access to my computer.

d4mation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a follow up to realizing that Nintendont needed to physically exist and be launched from the USB drive in addition to the games, here are my results:

FAT32 USB Hard Drive partition of unknown Cluster Size (But whatever it is, it is compatible with Devolution)
  • No success with the SD Card in the system or out of the system.
FAT32 USB Flash Drive with Cluster Size set to 32 KB:
  • No success with the SD Card in the system or out of the system.
With all the tests I performed I got a new error: "No games found!"

The games are located on the storage media as-per the instructions found in the post on the first page.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, Dont forget your meds.