Hacking Nintendont

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why not use a wall plug for USB to run part of your wall cable ?
Or if your y cable is long enough like mine use a front USB port for the extra power ...
..... Guess I can try a larger HDD and the y cable with the extra power end in a front port to see how it works ? I just been using a USB stick but I figure that's worth the try when I get time

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not use a wall plug for USB to run part of your wall cable ?
Or if your y cable is long enough like mine use a front USB port for the extra power ...
..... Guess I can try a larger HDD and the y cable with the extra power end in a front port to see how it works ? I just been using a USB stick but I figure that's worth the try when I get time

Meh, the set up already works for other USB programs just fine, and the cable was like, 3 bucks, so no real need to change it up. It's a Western Digital My Passport, very reliable :D

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using a Y cable? The thicker cable is the data cable.

That would explain why the placement the way it is (my current set up), and why switching them worked on other apps. Currently, the bottom back USB port has the data cable and the top is used for auxiliary power. May not be correct on the Wii U, but, it's worked perfectly for me.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would explain why the placement the way it is (my current set up), and why switching them worked on other apps. Currently, the bottom back USB port has the data cable and the top is used for auxiliary power. May not be correct on the Wii U, but, it's worked perfectly for me.

both of your back ports are occupied? that could be a problem because the controller has to be plugged in the bottom back port for the usb version

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
both of your back ports are occupied? that could be a problem because the controller has to be plugged in the bottom back port for the usb version

Well, I can't run this off one USB port on the Wii U since the HDD doesn't get enough power, but on a regular Wii, it works just fine. I have to use a Y-cable on the Wii U. I remember on the SD version, I had the controller in the front port and it worked fine. Damn.... Again, I don't have another USB HDD on hand, this one works just fine, it's just the Wii U doesn't give enough with one slot, both are needed since this drive doesn't have an external AC source.

Worse case scenario, I test it on regular Wii since I can use a gamecube controller on that. That might give me less issues if I set up my regular Wii with the HDD IMO

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the_randomizer why not just buy a longer y-cable that lets you plug into the back port thats necessary and use one of the front ports for the auxiliary power? Won't be more than a few bucks online, literally under $5 cuz the one I bought even had free shipping off eBay lol.

Wait, I can do that? And programs like USB Loader/CFG USB Loader will still work, so all that's important is that the data cable is in the back? The bottom ports in back is the one that my HDD needs, otherwise, it fails to initialize. The USB Y-cable I have needs to have an a flat USB (micro USB end) input like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005M0ICG2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 As long as it has the micro-B USB end, I'll be fine.

Trouble is, I can't seem to find one that has that connection and has a long cable to have one go in the back for data and the one in front for extra power. Do controllers have to use a specific back port or just one of them?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, I can do that? And programs like USB Loader/CFG USB Loader will still work, so all that's important is that the data cable is in the back? The bottom ports in back is the one that my HDD needs, otherwise, it fails to initialize. The USB Y-cable I have needs to have an a flat USB (micro USB end) input like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005M0ICG2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 As long as it has the micro-B USB end, I'll be fine.

Trouble is, I can't seem to find one that has that connection and has a long cable to have one go in the back for data and the one in front for extra power. Do controllers have to use a specific back port or just one of them?
NintendontUSB MUST use the bottom back port for the controller

We need classic controller support:glare:

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NintendontUSB MUST use the bottom back port for the controller

Damnation, that's what I was afraid of, guess I'll never be able to use my HDD with the USB version on the Wii U. :( So, notta chance in hell I can use it with this, at all, huh? Any options, anything at all or am I screwed? I'll never be able to use this app unless I hooked my original Wii up, which I don't want to have to do.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully they can change it to make it use the front usb like the sd version

Not gonna hold my breath, the SD version worked just fine, but now that the bottom back USB port is required, those with Y-cables are pretty much screwed; I don't think it's that simple to write the program to use it, and I sure as hell don't have hopes that the devs are willing to put forth the effort for USB-only powered HDD users. Any suggestions?

Edit: I submiited a request on the Google Code page, not that it'll do any good

airline38

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Few advices for anyone who would like to test the USB version of Nintendont:

1. It's not necessary to put \apps\nintendont\ to USB device. (no problem for me
to load apps from SD card) The important thing is the program will check
controller.ini and nincfg.bin under USB:\ .

2. As OverJ mentioned currently this program only can recognize HID device
in the back USB port of Wii U, it's better to use a USB thumb drive to test.
(I believe it should be able to improve to recoginze the front USB ports soon)

BTW, I don't think it's a problem for any USB Loader (CFG,ULGX,Wiiflow) to include (as a plug-in) Nintendont SD/USB two versions together. (to load SD or USB
app. automatically according to the game.iso directory)

Reactions: sonictopfan

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1. It's not necessary to put \apps\nintendont\ to USB device. (no problem for me

BTW, I don't think it's a problem for any USB Loader (CFG,ULGX,Wiiflow) to include (as a plug-in) Nintendont SD/USB two versions together. (to load SD or USB

Well, I hope that it's an eventuality, but a USB flash drive wouldn't be a bad way to test it, does that go in the top USB port in the back? I can look into getting one, but I hope that I can use a Y-cable powered HDD with Nintendont.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If I try to launch it on my sd card, I get no games found

I can't even get my main hdd to work, it always freezes on checking fs

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ugh, the set up for the USB version sounds confusing :P

too easy ! the y cable getting power from front wiiU usb port , but i had to add a small usb extention cable.

i tried and succeeded using nintendontusb with 1 of my western digital my passport usb3 2tb hdd formated to fat32 and used the y cable to get power from the front wiiU usb port while the data end of the y cable was plugged into the top back port .... plugged my ps3 controller in the back bottom port so now i have room to put the whole usa collection + pal and japanese exclusives on this one HDD and test any game i find fitting
1znbybs.jpg
used spoiler tags for Etheboss incase he see's this

Reactions: MassiveRican

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 2018 is pretty old lol