[WIP] Dragon Quest VIII (8) "Restoration" Project

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by DarkSynopsis, Dec 4, 2016.

1. DarkSynopsis
    OP

DarkSynopsis GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2014
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Here we have what I'm going to call "B1" previously I labeled releases as Alpha since there was still quite a bit of work to be done and I had not really done any testing but since then Myself and @Canzah have been hard at work at restoring what we can.

Huge credit goes to @Canzah for going in and getting a strap back on the Magic Bikini, Moving Polygons for the Dancer to have the split in the skirt and the huge pain in the ass task of recreating the Bunny outfit which required redoing UV mapping and all sorts.

This release brings the Dancer/Bunny, along with an NPC we missed, and High Tension models have also been restored to match.

With this everything should now be restored and with any luck is the final release unless bugs are found.

First Image = Original 3DS
    Second Image = Restoration
    Jessica's Magic Bikini

Jessica's Bunny Girl Outfit

Jessica's Dancer Costume

Jessica's Dangerous Bustier

Jessica's Divine Bustier

Red's Default Outfit

The NPCs

Use
    : Should just be a matter of dragging and dropping the folders onto SD Card and booting up NTR CFW, contains LayeredFS for JPN/EU not US as of yet.

"dq8res" should be on the root of your SD card doesn't need to be within a TitleID folder.

Old Post

Attached Files:

Last edited by DarkSynopsis, Jan 29, 2017
    r33se, ManaYagami, Canzah and 18 others like this.

2. zombone

zombone Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Nice work. I don't have a save file for the game, but I will try to find one or just start from scratch and test your restoration. I was actually thinking about doing this very same thing myself, and I also already have the music from the Japanese version ready to replace the synth in the western release. Anyways, I'll let you know the results along with any relevant screenshots.

BTW, that last picture is of Carrie. The model appears to be the same in both versions. You can see her in the PS2 game here:

Last edited by zombone, Dec 5, 2016
  3. zombone

zombone Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to work too well. I got far enough in the game to reach Jessica and rather than playing far enough to get the outfits I decided to edit her main attire making the skirt shorter, similar to how you did the Magic Bikini.
    top_0001.png

As you can see there are artifacts and parts of the skirt are still visible. I believe the artifacts are due to the version of Ohana3DS that I used, which made the edited bch quite a bit larger than the original. The unedited bch is 249kb, but the one with the edited texture was 441kb. The ones you edited also appear to be much larger files compared to the originals.

At that point, I figured I would try other versions of Ohana to see if I could find one that did not make the files overly large. I did manage to find one that retains the original file size and seems to not have the garbage, but it still does not make the edited parts invisible and has another problem. The texture quality gets pretty messed up, presumably due to compression, showing a line down the middle of her front and back.
    top_0002.png

So due to these results it looks like it won't be possible to do something like removing the long skirt on the Magic Bikini, and with versions I have tried of Ohana3DS, there will be either the corrupted graphics or poor textures.

I'm going to test older versions of Ohana, in the hopes that one of them saves the bch files at correct sizes without messing up the textures but it looks like removing that part of the bikini is going to require an actual model edit instead of just texture.

4. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Albi
    I didn't even know the game will be censored (didn't play the 8, sorry).
    Is the 7 on 3DS censored too?

Anyways why not just copy files from th JAP version and inject them in the EUR/USA version once released?
    Or is the JAP version censored too? Only the PS2 version is not censored?

5. zombone

zombone Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    The JP version has the altered outfits as well, supposedly due to SquareEnix wanting to get a lower rating. And yeah, the PS2 version is unaltered to my knowledge. I don't believe there are any differences in DQ7, not anything too provocative there that I can think of.

6. DarkSynopsis
    OP

DarkSynopsis GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2014
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Damn, could take the model into 3D Software and try remove the skirt, but no clue if that is going to import nicely/if at all.

Other outfits I didn't make anything just transparent so they should work but guess the textures might be lower quality by the sounds of it, imagine you could just rename them to Jessica's default outfit for testing.

Didn't even notice the files ended up that much bigger, knew I was too hopeful just thinking it would all work out :P

Last edited by DarkSynopsis, Dec 6, 2016
    Arubaro likes this.
  7. WillTheLion

WillTheLion GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2014
    United States
    It's probably worth looking into how the Busty May mod worked so nicely. It removed and edited geometry and had new textures but it worked great.

This is a project worth doing!

8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Dec 12, 2016
    Omegadrien likes this.
  9. DarkSynopsis
    OP

DarkSynopsis GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2014
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Heh, didn't expect something so minor to really get any attention, cool to see though :)

On that note I feel like I should actually get some more work on this done, mostly been waiting for the Western Release so I can do some testing.

@zombone Any chance I could get a save where you have met Jessica?

10. Don Ravioli

Don Ravioli Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2016
    France
    So first off, I'd like to thank you for doing this, as honestly, Nintendo (and the third parties involved)'s policies on this kind of things make absolutely no sense nowadays.

Second, I'd like to mention that this actually isn't the first time this happened, as the female warriors in Monsters 3D : Terry's Wonderland also come with the added black shorts. Which unfortunately mean this was a long planned move.

I really wish companies would understand that consumers should be enlightened enough to know what they are looking at without the need to make it "safer". Oh well, for now we have dedicated people like you. Good luck with this project.

pixelmasher and Xiphiidae like this.
  11. Erdrick The Hero

Erdrick The Hero Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2015
    United States
    Good work so far. I'd like to point out, though, that there appears to be some extra detail in some of the 3DS textures. For example, look at Red's boots and knife. If you could combine the PS2 and 3DS textures to remove the censorship while including the extra details, that would be pretty cool.

I don't have specific details, but the censored cutscenes may be possible to uncensor if this version the game uses the same animation/script formats as the PS2 and/or iOS/Android versions of the game. If that's the case, you should be able to just replace the new animations/scripts with the originals from earlier versions of the game, complete with voiceovers from the PS2 version, if applicable.

While on the topic of DQVIII, there are some music tracks that are still synth even in the Japanese 3DS release - these could be replaced with the symphonic versions found in the western PS2 release.

12. NANASHI89

NANASHI89 GBAtemp Maniac

May 3, 2012
    United States
    @DarkSynopsis, Can you provide a CIA of this "restored" version on those "ISO" and "CHAOS" sites like @Asia81 did? And will it be possible to port the original PS2 symphony music as well?

EDIT: I Understand what @Erdrick The Hero is getting at. I still plan to get a physical copy on Day 1.

Last edited by NANASHI89, Dec 19, 2016
  13. Erdrick The Hero

Erdrick The Hero Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2015
    United States
    As I posted directly above you, it is possible to patch the PS2 OST over the 3DS version.
    I don't really want to get into the ethics/legality of piracy, but let's please not enable piracy for a brand new Dragon Quest release. We've already missed out on quite a few games in the west because Square Enix thought the series didn't sell well enough. The last thing we need is for the sales of new games to be cut for any reason.

14. Joe007

Joe007 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    I hope this project is still alive, western release coming in matter days.

15. Kamui

Kamui GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    Indonesia
    would you guys also include undub or orchestral soundtrack?

16. DarkSynopsis
    OP

DarkSynopsis GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2014
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    I would be happy to add details back into the "uncensored" versions, I think at the time I was doing the first pass so to say I could quite get the colour matching correctly so opted to leave it for the time being as its all in Proof of Concept stage.

As for the cutscene stuff, I've had no luck finding them in the 3DS version, I don't even know how to unpack the PS2 version to see what format stuff is in and as for Android I did manage to unpack that one, believe the formatting was different, would have been nice to grab the textures from there but they are lower quality than 3DS!

This is when I will get more serious towards getting this working since I'll hopefully find time to play the game.

I did a few tests on the JPN version and ended up with the same results as previously posted with textures going screwy.

Hadn't planned on it, that is something for someone else to look into, doubt GBATemp would accept linking to audio files ripped straight from the JPN version, imagine on day 1 one of those CIA sites will have what you are after.

Last edited by DarkSynopsis, Jan 18, 2017
    Xiphiidae likes this.
  17. DarkSynopsis
    OP

DarkSynopsis GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2014
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Took another crack at it, seemed to have gotten the textures working in-game without any glitches :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Don't worry about Red's T-Pose, she doesn't have same animations as Jessica, just did a model swap so I could see if the texture was working, also same goes for the female warrior in the last shot, when hitting the cutscene she went through the floor :P hopefully shows I found and replaced her texture :)

MEGA Link to "DQ8RestorationA2.zip" (NTR LayeredFS)

For whatever reason GBATemp is not letting me attach the file, the extent of my testing is what is shown above so no clue if there are errors down the line.

Last edited by DarkSynopsis, Jan 19, 2017
  18. WillTheLion

WillTheLion GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2014
    United States
    Hey you got the textures to display correctly! That's great news! Great job! I'm excited to see this work with the USA release (still working on beating VII though :P)

19. Stingart

Stingart GBAtemp Regular

Feb 2, 2008
    Netherlands
    Awesome work. Keep it up!

20. Canzah

Canzah GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2012
    Poland
    Hey man.

Amazing work, glad you're doing this. Hope you can figure it out eventually, alternatively you could hook me up with the textures and I could see what I can do to help since I've got some experience modelling and texturing back from the days of modding Q3 Engine based games.