Hacking Nintendont

kimotori

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Holy words, but I do not think you'd be enticed by piracy, most of us have with the old wii and gamecube have none problems, the speech is to unite all in a one, single console, as an' emulator, partly because the old consoles can not be used on the new tv if not behind a hdmi adapter.

Pepois

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Joostin just decides to believe that's true and continues working.

Really though, if someone else doesn't start helping, this project isn't going very far. :(

Please dont give up JoostinOnline!!!! I wish I could help. Btw, I dl Luigi Mansion (thats one I own) I was very happy to see that its a working title in the compatibility list but I cant pass the 1st screen with the red Nintendo logo. Any ideas. The other one I own is star wars rogue squadron but thats not even in the list. As soon as I finish dl it I will test it. Btw I am buying Mario Shunshine on ebay, I used to own that game and it was quite fun to play.

EDITED: Just saw that the Luigi Mansion USA verison is not compatible... no wonder! Would it be unethical if I dl the European version and if it weren't... would it work on an American Wii U?

Best reagards

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Please dont give up JoostinOnline!!!! I wish I could help.

Best reagards

*sigh*, you are not grasping the meaning of the things Joostin is saying. He ONLY is working on cleaning bits of the code.
Do not expect, i repeat DO NOT expect him to write the missing code needed to complete Nintendont.
Crediar also had a hard time getting it right. If you want Nintendont completed that bad, then please find another coder for it.
There still must be talented people around that can do it ;).

Sorry Joostin if i stepped over a line here, but i got tired of people pushing you forward as the saviour of Nintendont.
Maybe you suddenly get the urge to dig in and learn all the extra stuff needed to get it done, but untill then don't let people suck you into it.

And this goes with MY best regards.

Pepois

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Btw does nintendont support games from other regions? Thankyou!

Nevermind it works! But I cant test the 2nd PS2 joystick since this game is single player. What game would you recommend I buy so I can test it. There arent that mnay compatible games for Nintendont.. for now!

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
*sigh*, you are not grasping the meaning of the things Joostin is saying. He ONLY is working on cleaning bits of the code.
Do not expect, i repeat DO NOT expect him to write the missing code needed to complete Nintendont.
Crediar also had a hard time getting it right. If you want Nintendont completed that bad, then please find another coder for it.
There still must be talented people around that can do it ;).

Sorry Joostin if i stepped over a line here, but i got tired of people pushing you forward as the saviour of Nintendont.
Maybe you suddenly get the urge to dig in and learn all the extra stuff needed to get it done, but untill then don't let people suck you into it.

And this goes with MY best regards.
Very well said.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The truth is that a lot of this is simply beyond my skill set, so I wouldn't feel comfortable accepting donations on it. I'd feel like I would be promising something I might not be able to deliver. Besides, I work much better when I don't feel like something is work. But thank you for the offer. :)

not sure if Cyan's commit was a one-time-thing
I feel the same way with donation (and I don't need it). I always refused them for my other projects, I feel like I'm a bad coder and can't deliver what the user expect after paying for it. And he would be in his right to expect something done fast/correctly/etc., which like you said will become a "work" and I don't like that either.

I did the HID commit because I had time to look at the sources and helped crediar with beta testing, when I was in the nintendont mood.
I'm currently trying to catch the 3DS scene, helping users, creating wiki pages, moderating the mess they are doing here, etc.
If I have time I can take another look in nintendont, but I can't promise anything, like you I don't have the required skill to improve it. I can only do little things.

Reactions: kimotori

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess people forget the meaning of donation lol. Nothing's supposed to be expected, it's a "thanks for doing what u do", not a "hey I want this or that." Sorry to get into that topic but rest assured u shouldn't feel like u owe somebody something but I understand how things get twisted around it.

Reactions: kimotori

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone tried the ps4 controller yet? (I know you cant download one of those)

ps4 controller does work if you create a controller.ini for it

Lol, I'm definitely not taking his place in this. I'm decent at optimization, but I could never have written some of the stuff he has.
Every bit of improvement helps the overall project. WE ALL SUPPORT YOU!

Reactions: the_randomizer

kimotori

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks UltraDoom for the commitment (if is learning the code to optimize).

Massive, you're right, donation is gratify, not blackmail...

Cyan, thanks for the support too poor or partial is already large.

We hope that this project does not end up quite forgotten.

All guys, excuseme for my bad English :)

Reactions: MassiveRican

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was under the impression that UltraDoom is learning the code to optimize the kernel and get it working with more games and features. Honestly though I thought it would be another year away b4 we see this thing working right.

Soo, when are you expecting to hear from him then?

Not that i don't trust ultradoom or anything, but i do think it is strange that he anounces to take on the project, posts a few things, then goes silent.
Just a word that he has still interest is enough i recon, but at the moment people seem to think others are working on it.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ultradoom has not logged onto the website since he posted that thread, I think he has dropped the project as well

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess I'm more patient than most, and I didn't see a purpose in saying your going to attempt to improve upon the project if in reality you couldn't, I'm pretty sure any coder can take a look at the source and say "oh shit, I'm in way over my head here" or "I think I can learn and make sense of this but it will take time", and obviously it could take much longer than any of us would like.

Either way I agree that a word from ultradoom about any or no progress at all since he might still be trying to understand the code, would be nice. If he has dropped the project w/o so much as a word then yes it would be a dick move, I stay optimistic though, I'm Sagittarian, it's in my nature ^_^

bl00m

Trophies
XP
Country
All of this negativity is devastating!
If you want to see what people are capable of when they push themselves into unknown territory, take a nice long look at Maxternal's thread. He didn't know much, so he just had a go.

He was told constantly that he wasn't good enough and didn't have the knowledge, and yet, he persevered to the point where he gained the respect of the naysayers AND the support of others in a similar position. His drive is what motiviated others to join the project, see how far that's come along now?

You are in a position to do GREAT things, but unless you push yourself and focus on what you CAN do rather than what you can't, things will remain stagnant.

As the project leader, say what your goals are and capable people are more likely to help. This projects main problem (from an outsiders point of view) is that it has alot of fans, but NO direction.

If the current goal is "Cleanup", state how you wish to do this.
Coding style? Formatting Style?
Breaking up the code into smaller reusable functions (Look at loader main.c, Jesus!)
Are you focusing on the loader? Or the Kernel?
If it's the loader, what is stopping features like USB support?
FAT filesystem support is already implemented, so why not add FAT USB support?
With the code being somewhat messy, has anything been documented? Break the code up into smaller chunks and document WHAT it does and WHY you think it does it.
Documenting all the read and writes to memory would be a good start, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a little documentation on the memory map of the Wii or GC either.

I refuse to believe that ANY of these goals are beyond your skillset OR others in a similiar position (see where I'm going with this?).
STATE your main goal, ASK for help, SEE what happens.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Any reason to why Crediar dropped it? I really hope more talented people can join in, I know nothing about coding but I can help by testing!

On related note, is there a possibility to add support for the WiiU controller or Controller Pro? I think it would help solve many problems regarding controller compatibility as well as make things easier, but like I said I don't know how coding work so I'm probably wrong in that!

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Crediar had some real life work to do. Maybe he will come back some day, maybe he won't.
He did came back with dml.
At least he released what he had already so others can work on it which is great.
If I would be a good coder / reverser, I would take devolution and remove the AP from it.
After that, why would I spend my spare time in creating something identical?
I am not saying it happened. Just saying it's possible.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
someone willing to work on it need time and devotion. Reading, understanding, documenting existing code, then read GC/Wii specs to add it. I guess a lot of people are missing time when they have a real life job.

I tried to fix the disc swapping, the second disc's header wasn't written to memory so I thought it will be easy to fix, but It still doesn't work. It's now detecting the new disc has been changed, but ends crashing when the game verify the game's disc.

I understand how the swap request is detected, which address it's reading/writing to, and it's doing it the same way as DML so there's probably something I missed.
Or maybe it's Tales of symphonia which is not working, but it's the only working dualDisc game I own so I couldn't check if the problem is that game or nintendont code.
I committed what I did, so someone else can take a look later.

I'll read the sources again when I have time and see if I spot new things I can do.

Reactions: kimotori and bl00m

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Wut