Hacking Nintendont

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
then there should not have been any commits since r13.

What he meant was that instead of committing the changes you could have done the same as OverJoy, build a beta with your changes and make some select people test it out. When you're sure everything is done, you could commit the changes.

The way I see it though, I kinda understand that you'd want to commit after so much work in case some new revision changed something and you had to review your code again or stuff like that. But if that was the case and you were going to commit an "incomplete" or "not fully tested" change, you should have commented your new lines and leave the original code as it was.

If you did it like that, you'd be letting other devs know that there was some work in progress being done and they'd either skip over your code or warn you if something in it would be affected by changes they made; and the Wii U users wouldn't be having issues right now.

Of course it all comes down to whether you wanted it to be tested or not, and you're free to ignore this post since it's just me voicing my opinion. I've tested the rev and it works for me, but I have a Wii and a HID controller, so the issue can be either exclusive to the Wii U, or due to the kind of controller they're using.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
^ LMAO so much distrust how is it that people work with u Joostin ;-P
I don't actually believe that stuff, I just love playing the American stereotype. ;)
then there should not have been any commits since r13.
You must be mistaken, that's when I started making commits. :lol:

Reactions: JnL_SSBM

NEO117

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Been out of the loop for a while and I have a question.

Can I simply run the GC games off the DVD drive with Dual shock 3 support? I have an older Wii and a bunch of GC games that work just fine.

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Can I simply run the GC games off the DVD drive with Dual shock 3 support? I have an older Wii and a bunch of GC games that work just fine.

I think you can't because to run the games the usual way, the Wii would get in Gamecube mode and the usb ports are probably disabled. And nintendont doesn't read from the DVD-drive.

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

This bunch of GC games are genuine or not? Because if it is you can use Devolution and use a dualshock 3 and mem. card emulation and then you can play just fine without any additional hardware.

gamer765

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I'll try out r65 until a newer build comes out. Got a link to it by chance? ^^;

Download loader.dol from r65 https://code.google.com/p/nintendont/source/detail?r=65

What he meant was that instead of committing the changes you could have done the same as OverJoy, build a beta with your changes and make some select people test it out. When you're sure everything is done, you could commit the changes.

The way I see it though, I kinda understand that you'd want to commit after so much work in case some new revision changed something and you had to review your code again or stuff like that. But if that was the case and you were going to commit an "incomplete" or "not fully tested" change, you should have commented your new lines and leave the original code as it was.

If you did it like that, you'd be letting other devs know that there was some work in progress being done and they'd either skip over your code or warn you if something in it would be affected by changes they made; and the Wii U users wouldn't be having issues right now.

Of course it all comes down to whether you wanted it to be tested or not, and you're free to ignore this post since it's just me voicing my opinion. I've tested the rev and it works for me, but I have a Wii and a HID controller, so the issue can be either exclusive to the Wii U, or due to the kind of controller they're using.

That's not how software development works; you can't just "skip over" code you haven't seen yet, much less get a warning that the changes made will interfere. FIX94 committed because the commits since r13 were starting to deviate drastically from what he was working with and it would be harder to integrate his changes and he'd have to do heavy modifications to his code.

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
That's not how software development works; you can't just "skip over" code you haven't seen yet, much less get a warning that the changes made will interfere. FIX94 committed because the commits since r13 were starting to deviate drastically from what he was working with and it would be harder to integrate his changes and he'd have to do heavy modifications to his code.

That's why I said "commit with the new lines commented", the code is still there but it's not used and you can see what it's supposed to do. And if you include a patch file that fully applies the changes (I'm sure you can include a DL link with the notes you write when committing) then the devs can test the new code without affecting the end user with an incomplete code. But as I said, that depends on whether he wanted it to be tested or not, if he simply wanted to commit before the code is too hard to integrate then my idea isn't that bad. Also, what I meant with "skip over" was that if a dev see there's work being done in HID (for example) then they'll just look at it but will concentrate on working somewhere else, OR if you see that your work will conflict with something someone else was doing, why wouldn't you tell them?

Anyways, that's just the way I see it, it may be wrong because I don't have experience with how the work is done in this kind of open source project (I've always wondered how people can work without knowing what the others are working in, I'd expect that more than once you'll find that someone finished the same thing you were doing and commited it before than you; unless of course they talk in private about the development and stuff)

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Are you aware that FIX94 didn't create the Nintendont or the USB build?

Anyway, commits do not necessarily indicate a stable build. They are just a way for devs to make changes and easily revert them if something is broken.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Anyways, that's just the way I see it, it may be wrong because I don't have experience with how the work is done in this kind of open source project (I've always wondered how people can work without knowing what the others are working in, I'd expect that more than once you'll find that someone finished the same thing you were doing and commited it before than you; unless of course they talk in private about the development and stuff)
We recently started a private discussion so we could get a little coordination to the project. I would have done it sooner, but I stopped paying attention for awhile and hadn't realized how many people had joined.

Reactions: faku1810

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This bunch of GC games are genuine or not? Because if it is you can use Devolution and use a dualshock 3 and mem. card emulation and then you can play just fine without any additional hardware.

I think Devolution is a USB/SD loader just as nintendont, the only difference (besides compatibility and all that) is that it requires the DVD's for verification. What he wants is to load the games from the DVD, without ripping them.

gamer765

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you aware that FIX94 didn't create the Nintendont or the USB build?

Anyway, commits do not necessarily indicate a stable build. They are just a way for devs to make changes and easily revert them if something is broken.

Yes, I am fully aware of that. I in no way said it was a stable build, I simply commented that FIX94 committed his changes before the code changed too much, making it harder for him to sync his tree, but w/e.

Reactions: MassiveRican

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • wiihackZlol @ wiihackZlol:
    hey anyone here?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wii experts at your service we can Abracadaba anything made by Nintendo for your piracy needs
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Now your playing with power!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guys five unmarked black vans with red letters just pulled up at my house :ohnoes:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ancientboi called FBI on you. You better flush your stash.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good, been lazy. Been inside playing games for last few days, too hot outside, was 97 degrees F today. It was so hot outside, I seen a dog chasing a cat, and they both were walking.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Fallout4, pubg, Starfield, Forza, Still wakes the Deep, just to name a few
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's just ancientboi left me his laptop
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Who are/ were they?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some Nintendo execs wanted to give him a promotion
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    party van
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get in the van
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    5 day weekend starts now :D
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Have off tomorrow for Juneteenth, then took thursday and Friday off to make the most out of the mid-week day off lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    5 days of straight fap
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    enter the goon cave
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ancientboi likes the goonies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good week to take time off, so damn hot! You can catch up on some gaming While staying in the AC, or do like ken does, fap all week.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The wut boy is back.... and you know he can never be whack.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How dare you say wut hell yawn you into a lawsuit
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: How dare you say wut hell yawn you into a lawsuit +1