Hacking Nintendont - wiimote & nunchuck support discussions

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
^ Well, I'm not an expert, but having wiimotes buttons in the nunchck IF should make them working the way you mapped them, only with a nuchuck, without having them registered while a CC is connected.
Question, did you look about wiimote shortcuts? would they be registered along with a button press? eg: pressing minus button giving an input AND enable/disable rumble, both at the same time? wondering this issue if something is not specificlly made to avoid a button conflict.
You mean if I will alter the rumble code?
Most likely yeah, but I won't get into that until I get a proper response from the code.

nakata6790

True Player
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Just tested the attempt 4 dol and the exact same behaviour posted in my previous post remains.

I'll only add something new that may prove useful:
Timesplitters 2 pre-menu screen has a table with the following:
1 PLAYER
2 PLAYERS
3 PLAYERS
4 PLAYERS
With the NC plugged in, the first option is not lit.
When i unplug NC and plug CC, the first option IS now highlighted. If i unplug CC and plug NC, it unlits again.
As i said same behaviour like previous post otherwise (1 light on wiimote when NC or CC is connected, 4 when not. Also, only CC left analog & wiimote power button respond when pressed)

I THINK that the wiimote "sees" NC (cause that's why it lights the first led only instead of 4), but Nintendont does not (sorry for putting it so stupidly in layman's terms, i hope you get what i wanted to say).

^ Well, I'm not an expert, but having wiimotes buttons in the nunchck IF should make them working the way you mapped them, only with a nuchuck, without having them registered while a CC is connected.
Question, did you look about wiimote shortcuts? would they be registered along with a button press? eg: pressing minus button giving an input AND enable/disable rumble, both at the same time? wondering this issue if something is not specificlly made to avoid a button conflict.

Check this post.
With a mapping like this, we can have 3 free buttons. Correspond those 3 however you like: home button (to exit nintendont?), 1 button (to reset game?) and 2 button (to toggle rumble on/off?) or whatever order you prefer.

But anyways, this is something to worry about AFTER we manage to get the NC to work :)

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last build should have fixed why your patch files werent working

It is possabe to create a workable mapping for a wiimote in a stearing wheel casing (no nunchuck) to play mairo kart DD. That mapping probably wont work for any other game. Because it would rely on mapping things like dpad left and right to booth x and y for use in the game and to stick up and down for use in the menus. It will work because the menus dont use x & y and the game doesnt use stick up & down.

Couldnt sleep last night and ended up looking at your source. Here are some hints.

I recomend you

create a new module just to do nunchuck mapping. have it take the parsed data form bt.c and based on a case statement for controller configuration have it make the data look like the classic controller. I forsee you having lots of different configurations probablly even per game. use a contsant for which config now . Eventually you will need a series of configuration files with a menu to select which one otherwise your programmers will spend all their time doing nothing but adding new configurations untill thay have a configuration for each of the 600 games.

Move all the nunchuck mapping code out of PadReadGC.c it will fix a lot of things you are breaking. Anythig that is special for the nunchuck to work in PadReadGC.c should have if else starements around it.

fix what your breaking with the other controllers. How do you expect the nunchuck to work with your new bugs.

fix bugs in how you are requesting the nunchuck data.
fix bugs in parsing nunchuck data
fix bugs in storing nunchusk data
fix bugs in mapping nunchuck data to gamecube controller

you need to set what ever editor you are using to edit the source to use tabs 4 characters wide.
only change things you intend to change. things like changing tabs to multiple spaces shows up when comparing versions. It also messes up alignment when using variable width fonts. Always indent lines using tabs not spaces.

Use comments so anyone looking at you code can tell what it is doing without having to look things up. That others dont is no excuse. If you get it working others will be looking at you code years from now and you wont be around or want to spend the time to explane it.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry guys.
I still haven't got any luck yet.
I did made a couple more builds but I keep getting the same result as nakata's.

One thing though, I am not used to the terminology some of the programmers are used for certain things.
So that leaves me with a brief "idea" of what to do, but not how to implement it.

As for the Wii64 code...
Is not that simple.
I verified that code but the thing is that I need to track all the files that are being called for that particular .c file (I havent verified ALL the Wii64 files in detail yet)
Even weirder, the Wii64 code doesn't establish an address register for the Buttons (like 0x0100 or so), it just puts them in a matrix from which they are called, and Nintendont doesn't do this at all, it just defines every button with one register value.

I still haven't got any luck :/
Will keep trying though.

nakata6790

True Player
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Can we have a word from FIX94 himself on that?
If a specific goal is set, like say 50-100$, we who ask for NC support could donate to the cause, kinda like a kickstarter of sorts.

Reactions: pedrobarca

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well, I wont add it for sure, but I might will come back in general to nintendont. I'm pretty sure howard is willing todo it though so yea, you want me back, think about giving me some money, you want nunchuk, think about howard. I would suggest you to donate to both of us since we dont really get a whole lot from it.

nakata6790

True Player
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
^ Wiimote & NC, ofcourse....

Anyways, thanks FIX94 for the reply. Yes, donation to both is more just, for all the work done so far.

Howard: Would you be willing to work on NC support over bluetooth?
If yes, can you set a goal for us to attain to? Like 50 for NC button mapping, and 100$ for IR support?

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ Wiimote & NC, ofcourse....

Anyways, thanks FIX94 for the reply. Yes, donation to both is more just, for all the work done so far.

Howard: Would you be willing to work on NC support over bluetooth?
If yes, can you set a goal for us to attain to? Like 50 for NC button mapping, and 100$ for IR support?

i am glad none of us are working on this project to make money. You guys have no idea how many hours of work go into changes like these. :)

I am sure that if we agree I can deliver on the wiimot + nunchuck. It will make use of some of the work Abz has done already.

I need to do more research on the IR before commiting to that. I have looked at the hardware and can get the IR data from the wiimote. I have never had a need to look at how the data needs to be processed to make it useable by Nintendont. When I sugested a configuration using IR I thought someone else was going to code it. :) The wiimote + nunchuck configuration can be used without IR.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
i am glad none of us are working on this project to make money. You guys have no idea how many hours of work go into changes like these. :)

I am sure that if we agree I can deliver on the wiimot + nunchuck. It will make use of some of the work Abz has done already.

I need to do more research on the IR before commiting to that. I have looked at the hardware and can get the IR data from the wiimote. I have never had a need to look at how the data needs to be processed to make it useable by Nintendont. When I sugested a configuration using IR I thought someone else was going to code it. :) The wiimote + nunchuck configuration can be used without IR.

I was trying to, but I am still failing pathetically. XD
Well, if you allow me, in my humble opinion I think IR is NOT needed for Nintendont.
All we need is a proper button configuration, and I agree with the one nakata6790 worked on, and that was the one I was going for.

nakata6790

True Player
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Button mapping, yes the one in the OP would be a GREAT start, seeing that it covers everything. Once that is established, alterations can be made to the .ini file by each user to his/her liking (like Howard suggested a few posts above in this very page).

IR a la Wii64/Quake GX could become reaaaaaaaaaaally handy for FPS (Timesplitters 2 & 3, Nightfire etc) but i agree it is a higher hanging fruit. That's why i suggested it would be a ''tier 2'' goal, with button mapping being a ''tier 1'' goal.

So Howard like a Kickstarter, what should be the goal for each tier according to you?
Do 50-60$ for button mapping and 100$ for IR sound reasonable?
I think those are attainable if we, the people that ask for NC, all chip in together.

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys have made a very motivated user focus group.
I understand what you are trying to achieve.

The nunchuck will NOT use ini files. It will have a way to swap between multiple configurations similar to how the minus key works on the other bluetooth controllers. If nunchuck support is add to nintendont the number of requests for assistance creating and managing those configs would be unmanageable. Think about how often people ask for help with ini files now. multiply that by 600 games and 10 different key layouts for each game. The forums would be overwhelmed.

The inital beta will have a config specified by abz, a config substantially similar to the config you currently have listed in the first post and at least 3 confgs I choose. ( I think you will like what I have in mind and do things not covered in your everything) Additional configs and/or button swaps wil be discussed during the beta.

Beta testing wil be limited to those who contribute + those I choose. ( I have some testers that have given good feedback in the past)

Keep this thread open after the release. If someone has a realy good idea for a new configuration that they can show is better than what we already have. If everyone aggrees we can consider adding it.

The final software will become part of nintendont governd by its license aggrement and not owned by those who donated.

I retain the right to use the code I wrote in the future in any way I choose.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sounds really neat :)

Howard, would you mind posting the instructions about how to donate to you guys?
Because several people have already asked me and I don't even know myself.

Out of that, to the users...
One thing about IR to keep in mind, is that if we were to utilize IR for FPS, the whole camera will move along with the IR movement.
I say that for the users that have been requesting it, keep that in mind since the game won't have a pointer and might be somewhat dizzy.

Although, I might be amazed by what others could have in mind :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @E1ite007, I just found this randomly.