Hacking Nintendo Switch Banning Hub & Warning

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What error codes does nitendo use to track us? I was running sx os and it kept crashing with a error code every time I put it into dock mode and entered into the backup loader menu in order to run backups (This happened 3 - 4 times) (I fixed it by replacing the boot.dat, payload.bin, and reinstalling tegra rcm smash gui).

Manny-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems to me from all the feedback that the ones trying to avoid getting a ban by playing homebrew off the grid are the ones who have ended up getting banned, what is everyone's opinion on this?

Manny-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Banned: N
If banned, provide proof (video preferred): I'll post a video soon
Downloaded with CDN: N
Cleared Error Logs prior to going Online with nx-dreport: N
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings: Off by default? I didn't even touch this option but it says Off
SX OS used: N
SX OS used while online: N
Played online SX OS Backups: N
Layered FS Used: N
Layered FS Used while online: N
Played online Layered FS Injects: N
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Offline: Yes homebrew while offline
Connect to Internet with homebrew/CFW: Yes homebrew while online
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew: Yes with homebrew
Played with Layered FS Injects with Own Cert.: N
Can you access the eShop: Y
Backups updated: N
Wi-Fi settings deleted: Y
Airplane mode: Y
AutoRCM: N
SX OS Version used when Online: N.A
Auto-Update Software: N

Last edited by Manny-,

iconthegreatest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try unlinking it or did it not work because your console got banned and not your account? This might serve as a clue towards differentiating bans.

When I formatted my second switched it asked me to unlink, but I didn’t try, because I didn’t want to go online until after I finished formatting it.

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It won’t let me, because it’s banned. I can’t even link an account.
Well, it was worth asking. I'm just trying to find a better way to differentiate between banned consoles and banned accounts. I mean Nintendo probably can un-link it for you since it seems like your account's not banned but that would be too much effort for one person to check something so insignificant practically.

Reactions: sorabora

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
His only option to unlink it now is by calling nintendo support, but even then I don't know if they will do it...
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22434/kw/Unlink
Given that he still has eShop access, they actually just might. They had the chance to ban his account but didn't (yet). An unbanned account with a banned Switch is about as good as an unbanned account by itself. They can take the chance he buys another Switch to do the same thing over again and decide to ban both.

Anyways, I will now be asking all contributors to access the eShop from a non-Switch device to check if they have access. I'm actually unsure if anyone had any account bans at all considering everyone seems to have the same error code meaning they're all console bans.

NoWayFarQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Given that he still has eShop access, they actually just might. They had the chance to ban his account but didn't (yet). An unbanned account with a banned Switch is about as good as an unbanned account by itself. They can take the chance he buys another Switch to do the same thing over again and decide to ban both.

Anyways, I will now be asking all contributors to access the eShop from a non-Switch device to check if they have access. I'm actually unsure if anyone had any account bans at all considering everyone seems to have the same error code meaning they're all console bans.
This would be great if it was only a console ban. So if you buy another switch you wouldn’t lose all of your purchased games right?

Reactions: AlphaSapphire

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be great if it was only a console ban. So if you buy another switch you wouldn’t lose all of your purchased games right?
An eShop ban has worse implications than a console ban. If just your console is banned, then you can't use their online services from that device. You can still use the Switch however you want because its yours legally, the online service is not. eShop on the other hand can contain your purchases which you may or may not legally own. Not sure how Nintendo decides who to ban the eShop from or if it can be legally challenged, but it would appear they try not to ban accounts as much as possible.

Also something I forgot to mention about un-linking accounts. Assuming Nintendo does allow it, they still know what you did with that account. As long as you stay clean, they have no reason to ban the new account once its un-linked but even the slightest bit of abnormal telemetry might set them off and make the entire banning situation worse than it actually is. I have no reason to believe the banned homebrew-only users followed this setup, but its something to keep in mind now that bans have become commonplace.

iconthegreatest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it was worth asking. I'm just trying to find a better way to differentiate between banned consoles and banned accounts. I mean Nintendo probably can un-link it for you since it seems like your account's not banned but that would be too much effort for one person to check something so insignificant practically.

I made the account figuring it would be banned. If you want the information so you can do testing, I’ll send it to you.

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made the account figuring it would be banned. If you want the information so you can do testing, I’ll send it to you.
No its fine, I'm looking for an easier way to check for a console vs. account ban so I can add it to the questionnaire. Making every person who is banned call Nintendo to just see if they can un-link it has too many problems associated with it as a proof-of-concept.

Reactions: sorabora

CaptainKRN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Banned: N
If banned, provide proof (video preferred)
Downloaded with CDN: Y
What firmware(s) did you use nx-dreport prior to going online in OFW: 5.1 no nx-dreport
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings: Y
SX OS used: Y
SX OS used while online: Y (had to update in order to use exFat SD card)
Played online SX OS Backups: N
Layered FS Used: N
Layered FS Used while online: N
Played online Layered FS Injects: N
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used: Y (VBA-Next, no crashes)
Connect to Internet with homebrew/CFW: Y
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew: Y (to check if I'm banned, eshop opened up fine)
Played with Layered FS Injects with Own Cert.: N
Can you access the eShop: Y
Use the eShop from a non-Switch device: N
Backups updated: N
Wi-Fi settings deleted: Y
Airplane mode: Y
AutoRCM: N
Lowest SX OS Version used when Online: 1.2
Auto-Update Software: N
Less Fuses Burnt than Expected: Y

Playing it super safe with SX OS, only went off plane mode and reconnected to my WiFi because I bought a new 128gb card that was formated exfat so I had to update to use it. I figured since I updated and I connected to the internet I'd try and see if I'm banned and its still good so far. Been using SX OS for 2 days offline.

Last edited by CaptainKRN,
Reactions: Draxzelex

danny1corder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Banned: Yes
Downloaded with CDN: No
What firmware(s) did you use nx-dreport prior to going online in OFW: Yes 5.1.0
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings: Yes
SX OS used: Yes
SX OS used while online: No
Played online SX OS Backups: No
Layered FS Used: Yes
Layered FS Used while online: No
Played online Layered FS Injects: No
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used: Yes, Homebrew App Store and GBA emulator.
Connect to Internet with homebrew/CFW: Yes with eShop and Update URLs blocked on router.
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew: No
Played with Layered FS Injects with Own Cert.: No
Can you access the eShop: No
Use the eShop from a non-Switch device: No
Backups updated: Yes on OFW
Wi-Fi settings deleted: No
Airplane mode: Yes, sometimes I forget to enable FM before switching to SXOS
AutoRCM: No
Lowest SX OS Version used when Online (i.e 1.0, 1.1, 1.2): 1.0 very briefly before enabling FM as soon as it booted
Auto-Update Software: No
Less Fuses Burnt than Expected: No

Last edited by danny1corder,
Reactions: Draxzelex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...