TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
zL and zR or M and N, it doesn't matter what they are called, they are the same thing. Four face buttons, a start button, a select button, a console button, two thumbsticks, to thumstick clicks, a control pad, two triggers and two bumpers.
It still doesn't matter cuz Microsoft, again, is NOT the originator of any of those controller features. And besides, the 360 controller is quite literally just a dualshock controller with the left analog and dpad swapped, and differently shaped triggers. There's really no other difference.

Reactions: 4 people

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zL and zR or M and N, it doesn't matter what they are called, they are the same thing. Four face buttons, a start button, a select button, a console button, two thumbsticks, to thumstick clicks, a control pad, two triggers and two bumpers.

Dont make me post images of EVERY other controller made in the last 10 years.

Reactions: 2 people

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo pioneered most of the common controller features in modern gaming controllers. Getting sued for what you created just doesn't make sense. If this is true, Microsoft is more stupid than ever. They mad cuz they ain't got shit on Nintendo :P

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol... let's have a little history lesson about designs the Xbox 360 controller uses, and which of the "big 3" used them before they did...

A/B/X/Y button labels: SNES controller

A/B/X/Y colors: PAL SNES controller

Analog stick: N64 controller

Analog stick, dpad, and button placement: GameCube controller

Shoulder buttons: SNES controller

Standard dpad: NES controller

Start and back/select buttons: NES controller

"Wing" grips: Playstation controller

Dual analog sticks: Playstation dualshock

clickable sticks: playstation dualshock

I think it goes without saying that Microsoft REALLY can't talk, since literally everything about the 360 controller (except for the styling of the trigger buttons) was stolen from either Nintendo or Sony.
Analog shoulder pads: Dreamcast
Rumble:N64
Diamond shaped button layout: SNES

Sony weren't the first with controller grips, the NES Max and the Genesis/Megadrive controllers had them and the first ever cross shaped d-pad came with Game & Watch.

Anyway I'm sure Microsoft want to avoid pissing-off Nintendo by suing them, they could be in a lot of trouble if they did.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Sony weren't the first with controller grips, the NES Max and the Genesis/Megadrive controllers had them and the first ever cross shaped d-pad came with Game & Watch.
I didn't say who was first overall. I said "which of the big 3" (sony, MS, Nintendo) did it first, because I knew someone else I didn't know surely may have done it before. ;)

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't say who was first overall. I said "which of the big 3" (sony, MS, Nintendo) did it first, because I knew someone else I didn't know surely may have done it before. ;)
I just thought it would be fun pointing out that the 360 controller doesn't have any traces of originality in them at all, nada.
You know, to further ridicule this article.
That said they still are very nice controllers to hold.

Another silly article I read this week was Pachter claiming that Activation pushed Nintendo to release a standard controller. :rofl2:

And here I am thinking that they made the pro controller for multi player games since buying a bunch of wiimotes and classic controllers would just be too much of a hassle. BTW the Wii U pad already has standard controls, what are you smoking Pach?

Reactions: 1 person

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
That said they still are very nice controllers to hold.
Indeed. The only thing I dislike about it is the dpad (ironically, I feel that the dualshock has had the best dpads as of late)
Not a fan of the dualshock divided directional input, so for me the Vita d-pad was a big step up.
My favorite console controllers is a tie between the 360 and the GC, if only one of them had a usable d-pad...
I remember playing the Gamecube version of the Megaman X collection some time ago, completly unplayable thanks to the awful d-pad.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
lol, cause the controller will be reason to stop the whole console xD

even if microsoft would risk the waste of money that comes with sueing nintendo, if worse comes to worst, nintendo would just change the shape slightly. maybe cut out a piece on the bottom part to make it look more like the gamecube one again. not much of a big deal.

but its not going to happen anyways. mainly cause of what everyones been saying so far, those controllers are all derived from older ones, among them especially nintendos own. so they would not dare to sue here

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Three pages of interesting replies, but nobody mentions the obvious:

Who the hell is talking about a lawsuit?

Aside from the TS, obviously. But he isn't a spokesperson of microsoft. He can't even make a proper deduction of the article he's linking to.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Just got reminded about super meat boy with and 360 controller. :(

Three pages of interesting replies, but nobody mentions the obvious:

Who the hell is talking about a lawsuit?

Aside from the TS, obviously. But he isn't a spokesperson of microsoft. He can't even make a proper deduction of the article he's linking to.

That's a really good point actually, I didn't even check the link after reading the source so I just assumed it was bullshit.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Another silly article I read this week was Pachter claiming that Activation pushed Nintendo to release a standard controller. :rofl2:

Isn't Activision on the seller's market right now, or something similar, and have been rejected by many companies? I doubt Nintendo would be persuaded by a company who currently nobody wants.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

Isn't Activision on the seller's market right now, or something similar, and have been rejected by many companies? I doubt Nintendo would be persuaded by a company who currently nobody wants.
Currently...
The Wii U has been in development for a while, Activision haven't been on the sellers market that long have they?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

Currently...
The Wii U has been in development for a while, Activision haven't been on the sellers market that long have they?

True, but I don't think they've been a very influencing company for quite some time.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Dear God, what have I started here!?
Okay, yeah yeah, game companies will borrow designs and concepts from each other, that's how innovation is made.
The Xbox 360 controller has the same buttons as the Dualshock controller, but its design is more comfortable. I noticed how in the picture the two controllers side-by-side look almost exactly the same. I like this because Nintendo is creating innovation from something that already exsists. It's like creating a Pokemon ROM hack, you take concepts and designs that are already present, and then build on top of it and change things around a bit. I think it is stupid that Nintendo is going to name the bumpers Rz and Lz. At least with Sony and Microsoft's controllers it makes some sort of sense. RightBumper/LeftBumper (RB/LB) RightTrigger/LeftTrigger(RT/LT). R1 R2, L1 L2. I would have called the shoulder buttons Rs and Ls for Right Shoulder and Left Shoulder. I would want to buy this controller because it looks far more comfortable that that tablet "controller" over long play sessions. I just hope that almost every game is compatible with it. This whole article is just friggen funny though, it reminds me of the whole Apple inc vs Android and HTC fiasco.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0