Nintendo has taken down the Link's Awakening fan remake

IMG_20231215_075251_847.jpg

Unsurprisingly, Nintendo of America has gone after the Link's Awakening DX HD fan project, less than a day after the fangame gained publicity online. Once hosted on Itch.io, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX HD has been removed from the platform, following a DMCA takedown from Nintendo. The notice, shown below, cites copyright infringement for uploading a fully playable version of a Nintendo game. The Link's Awakening fangame was uploaded only after it was completed, though, meaning a backup likely still lurks somewhere on the internet.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am an authorized representative of Nintendo of America Inc., owner of the following copyrighted material:

PA0002212311 (The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening) and PA0000772666 (Legend of Zelda : Link's awakening (Game Boy version).

It has come to our attention that the following game, https://linksawakeningdxhd.itch.io/links-awakening-dx-hd, offered on Itch.io infringes and makes unauthorized use of Nintendo’s copyrights in The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening video game.

For additional information visit Nintendo’s website at the following URLs:

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/game-boy-nintendo-switch-online-switc...

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/the-legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-s...

Please act expeditiously to remove the download and information page for the infringing game.

I have a good faith belief that the material is not authorized by the intellectual property owner, its agent, or the law. The information provided in the notice is accurate, and I swear under penalty of perjury that I am authorized to make the complaint on behalf of the intellectual property owner.

Sincerely,

Nintendo Legal

Nintendo of America Inc.

:arrow: Source

BeniBel

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
this is nintendo fanboys impossible to reason with:

Or maybe these so called "fanboys" have grown up, and actually understand the world a tiny bit.

It's Nintendo their active IP, you don't create a 1:1 copy from it. As I stated previous, you can argue about fair use with fan games, but this is just plain piracy. Anyone who thinks Nintendo is in the wrong in this case, should do some real introspection.

Imagine if Sony would copy Mario Wonder or even the original Mario Bros, and release it for the PS5? Even if they don't make a profit, they would get sued so hard. No sane person would take Sony's side. But now, because it's and indie developer, it's alright? Or is it because it's an older game? Because that's also irrelevant. Nintendo owns the right, they created it, and even if they wouldn't be making money from it right now, they have every right to say what happens to their games.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Seems the majority of the hate is coming from non Zelda/Nintendo gamers, most of them never played a single Zelda game ever.
Nothing is lost, source code is on the internet, same as the binaries. Doing a correct search, *your search engine* will find it easily.
I hope other Zelda projects (like the great Zelda2 TAOL) keeps unnoticed from the time being.

Reactions: Beaukilla

Kadji

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here's the thing. Just because something is in the law doesn't mean everyone will agree and think it is logical, it is not hard to understand why so many people hate when something like this happens. I'd be glad to see someone using my art and ideas for their fan projects and I believe a lot of artists and developers that worked on these games also would share similar feelings, and even as a corporation Nintendo could've handled these situations much better, same applies to other stuff not related to fan games, like tournaments.
The problem is that Nintendo is still making profit from Links Awakening, either through the Remaster on the Switch or through the NSO Subscription on the Switch.

I was surprised that the download contained EVERYTHING needed to run the game, be it the (original) sprites or the (original) music. That is blatant theft and copyright infridgement.

Nintendo has done shit in the past, especially when it comes to DMCA because of game mods (e.g. Smash) or private held tournaments that use Nintendo IP(e.g. Smash…again…).
But in this case I am 100% on Nintendo side.

Reactions: ChronosNotashi

TheCryOfHatred

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Or maybe these so called "fanboys" have grown up, and actually understand the world a tiny bit.

It's Nintendo their active IP, you don't create a 1:1 copy from it. As I stated previous, you can argue about fair use with fan games, but this is just plain piracy. Anyone who thinks Nintendo is in the wrong in this case, should do some real introspection.

Imagine if Sony would copy Mario Wonder or even the original Mario Bros, and release it for the PS5? Even if they don't make a profit, they would get sued so hard. No sane person would take Sony's side. But now, because it's and indie developer, it's alright? Or is it because it's an older game? Because that's also irrelevant. Nintendo owns the right, they created it, and even if they wouldn't be making money from it right now, they have every right to say what happens to their games.
Totally agreed with your comment.
There was some drama in a forum some time ago about various cheat makers complaining about "why you dont give me credit when sharing my codes!!!" and being really pissed off.
But somehow making a fan game with stolen assets is alright. I will never understand people`s morals.

Reactions: BeniBel

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it to work on my Ubuntu, through Lutris. You just have to make sure to install dotnetdesktop6 on your Wine prefix, using Winetricks. Game works fine, with controller support.
Aye, indeed, I’ve tried multiple times with a fresh prefix and everything. Still not liking me, just says dotnetdesktop6 is not installed over and over again despite me explicitly installing it. What’s strange however is I can get it working on my steam deck. Very interesting

• Sad
Reactions: Dust2dust

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
Theres a difference between "using" & stealing, you're just justifying someone using assets that they don't own.
And so what? I was referring to the people that made the assets when I said that, not Nintendo as a corporation. I doubt most of them have that mindset, especially when it comes to a fan project. It is all about the intentions.

And I know, they made it but Nintendo is the one that owns it, but I don't give a fuck about that.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People really need to wake up and stop been retreated fanboys and stop buying nintendo products.

All this company cares about is releasing the cheapest hardware as possible so they can recycle its same old shit games as they slowly catch up with the past 2 gen consoles and as always becomes a fucking port where.

Yet the retarded fanboys defend their beloved nintendo with this bullshit claim of not been able to play it the first time it came out.

No, the fact you never got the play it first time round is because you are a brainwashed trollop that will only ever stick to what nintendo tells you to play, thus them always lacking the excellent third party games that they keep promising to improve each time they shit out its next cheap inferior console.

And even if you really did need to play this game, you could pick up the console it was released on and the game for less than what it would cost to buy Nintendo's new console and said game that'll be at full retail price and run inferior to its original

It is absolutely embarrassing how shit nintendo games always are when you vs them to the other systems, even now compared to fucking the PS3/360 gen and its games look like fucking shit.

All nintendo care about is the console able to run their games, they give no extra room for or freedom for third parties, thus as their constant lie be supporting them.

All they actually do is dictate and control its console market, deliberately giving cheap I feriror hardware instantly means third parties can not support them with their new titles, because nintendo do not even help or promote third party games.

All you ever see is nintendo promoting its same old recycled Mario, Mario kart, zelda and other games during that consoles life. No support advertising third parties because nintendo ensure that limited hardware means they can only and will only attempt to port over old shit we already own or could own for far less money.

This then ensures theirs little competition for nintendo when they release the same old recycled shit that these loyal fanboys will 100%, love and defend to their death.

Nintendo intentionally give early access of its first party games to loyal fanboys that blindly lime sheep to the slaughter house will rate it 10/10 regardless of it been a complete sack of shit

These same fanboys are physically seen down rating other games of the similar play style over issues, yet completely goes ignored when its nintendo or the lovely fanboys will contradicts every single time nintendo shit out a new console and then make excuses to defend the same issues they just slated another console or game for.

The beat one is where they say its ok yo have shit frames and graphics and bugs because nintendo are new to trying this game style that others have been doing for fucking decades and doing a far better job at. Yet you down rated these games yet give nintendo a perfect 10/10 for the most boring bug riddled piece of shit.

And here we are yet again finding others that actually do a far better job than nintendo ever do, anything this company does can be done far better by others and what annoys me is these braindead fuckinh fanboys will blindly defend this shit company to the end of the world.

Nintendo never innovate, they take advantage of using cheap inferior gimmicks and throw it into a cheap shit console so its fanbiys beleive now its only fun to play Mario and zelda with some bullshuy gimmick that is far from innovative, its just cheap nasty gimmicks that end up making it fuckinh repetitive.

This guy takes an old game and makes it 100% better and how it should be done, rather than supporting its fanbsse they get pissed off because these fans are showing the world what should be.

But nintendo want to dictate and control what you actually get. They litrally treat their consoles like their government do to its citizens when they dictate and control what they can access on the Internet.

Nintendo are exactly the same in terms of what games you get to fucking play, you will always get the boring past gen games ported over rather than these exciting new first party games because they are scare these games will clearly take over sales and Mario will be sat there on the shelfs waiting even longer for it to reach a sales target it makes during the entire consoles life vs third party games that piss allover these sales targets within the week or so.

This is why they should be called nintendont which is something I used to say before the wii/gc plugin exploit yuing came.

I just wish people would wake up and stop supporting nintebdo and stop buying their shit consoles.

We could have the option to play the same old recycled nintenfo shit as third party just like Sega games are.

It is pointless paying £100s for a shit console that's only intention is to play Mario and zelda and anything else you already own if you had any intention of playing or could easily pick it up for a few quid and it still be superior to the shit attempt to get it running on nintendo consoles.

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I miss the old times, when video games were supposed to be about having fun, and not a 100% pure business thing
That, and current world politics. Politics have no place being in fantasy games that have no relation to the real world. Thankfully Nintendo isn't putting politics in.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Simple: Dont support Nintendo for next console system and games in the future. Let them bankrupted then. That's why I sold Nintendo Switch 1 Generation system. Nintendo is done! They are cruel company! Hello Sony and Microsoft!
You should honestly just pirate your games. You aren’t getting away from terrible companies who do horrible things. Microsoft has a long history of mistreating their customers and pushing anti-customer policies. Sony recently announced that they are removing movies people legally bought. Not to mention their long history of going after modders. This is why I just recommend piracy and maybe consider looking into a Linux distro but that’s my opinion

• Haha
Reactions: spotanjo3

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People really need to wake up and stop been retreated fanboys and stop buying nintendo products.

All this company cares about is releasing the cheapest hardware as possible so they can recycle its same old shit games as they slowly catch up with the past 2 gen consoles and as always becomes a fucking port where.

Yet the retarded fanboys defend their beloved nintendo with this bullshit claim of not been able to play it the first time it came out.

No, the fact you never got the play it first time round is because you are a brainwashed trollop that will only ever stick to what nintendo tells you to play, thus them always lacking the excellent third party games that they keep promising to improve each time they shit out its next cheap inferior console.

And even if you really did need to play this game, you could pick up the console it was released on and the game for less than what it would cost to buy Nintendo's new console and said game that'll be at full retail price and run inferior to its original

It is absolutely embarrassing how shit nintendo games always are when you vs them to the other systems, even now compared to fucking the PS3/360 gen and its games look like fucking shit.

All nintendo care about is the console able to run their games, they give no extra room for or freedom for third parties, thus as their constant lie be supporting them.

All they actually do is dictate and control its console market, deliberately giving cheap I feriror hardware instantly means third parties can not support them with their new titles, because nintendo do not even help or promote third party games.

All you ever see is nintendo promoting its same old recycled Mario, Mario kart, zelda and other games during that consoles life. No support advertising third parties because nintendo ensure that limited hardware means they can only and will only attempt to port over old shit we already own or could own for far less money.

This then ensures theirs little competition for nintendo when they release the same old recycled shit that these loyal fanboys will 100%, love and defend to their death.

Nintendo intentionally give early access of its first party games to loyal fanboys that blindly lime sheep to the slaughter house will rate it 10/10 regardless of it been a complete sack of shit

These same fanboys are physically seen down rating other games of the similar play style over issues, yet completely goes ignored when its nintendo or the lovely fanboys will contradicts every single time nintendo shit out a new console and then make excuses to defend the same issues they just slated another console or game for.

The beat one is where they say its ok yo have shit frames and graphics and bugs because nintendo are new to trying this game style that others have been doing for fucking decades and doing a far better job at. Yet you down rated these games yet give nintendo a perfect 10/10 for the most boring bug riddled piece of shit.

And here we are yet again finding others that actually do a far better job than nintendo ever do, anything this company does can be done far better by others and what annoys me is these braindead fuckinh fanboys will blindly defend this shit company to the end of the world.

Nintendo never innovate, they take advantage of using cheap inferior gimmicks and throw it into a cheap shit console so its fanbiys beleive now its only fun to play Mario and zelda with some bullshuy gimmick that is far from innovative, its just cheap nasty gimmicks that end up making it fuckinh repetitive.

This guy takes an old game and makes it 100% better and how it should be done, rather than supporting its fanbsse they get pissed off because these fans are showing the world what should be.

But nintendo want to dictate and control what you actually get. They litrally treat their consoles like their government do to its citizens when they dictate and control what they can access on the Internet.

Nintendo are exactly the same in terms of what games you get to fucking play, you will always get the boring past gen games ported over rather than these exciting new first party games because they are scare these games will clearly take over sales and Mario will be sat there on the shelfs waiting even longer for it to reach a sales target it makes during the entire consoles life vs third party games that piss allover these sales targets within the week or so.

This is why they should be called nintendont which is something I used to say before the wii/gc plugin exploit yuing came.

I just wish people would wake up and stop supporting nintebdo and stop buying their shit consoles.

We could have the option to play the same old recycled nintenfo shit as third party just like Sega games are.

It is pointless paying £100s for a shit console that's only intention is to play Mario and zelda and anything else you already own if you had any intention of playing or could easily pick it up for a few quid and it still be superior to the shit attempt to get it running on nintendo consoles.
No one's reading that pal.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what I bet out of nowhere, they’re going to release an hd version of this game now, if they didn’t already have that planed. I’m not going to count the switch version, this one looks better.

Beaukilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Lol just read the title, don't need to read the comments. Let me guess... "I'm never giving nintendo money again" "fuck you nintendo" "something something what nintendont" "I'm smarter than nintendo!" "SALT!"

The derangement on this site always makes me laugh, keep yelling at those clouds guys 🤣

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lol just read the title, don't need to read the comments. Let me guess... "I'm never giving nintendo money again" "fuck you nintendo" "something something what nintendont" "I'm smarter than nintendo!" "SALT!"

The derangement on this site always makes me laugh, keep yelling at those clouds guys 🤣
yea, you didn't read indeed :creep:
When such news drop, the first 2 pages (maybe 3) are what you saoid, but after, it's mostly debate and questions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That sick boy yo