Nintendo files $40 Million Dollar lawsuit against Japanese mobile game company "Colopl"

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by WiiUBricker, Jan 10, 2018.

1. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Just companies being greedy and trying to sue companies for money even though other companies aren't suing them for using similar ideas.
    Well if you're suing people for illegally uploading your copyrighted content it makes sense, but a lot of these patent infringement cases are jokes.

wiewiec and Memoir like this.
  2. xBleedingSoulx

xBleedingSoulx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 20, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Barnsley, England
    There's gotta be more to it? Sounds too low, even for Nintendo.

Shadowfied likes this.
  3. RedBlueGreen

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    I doubt it. Nintendo's mad that they've been sued over the Wii remote, the glasses free 3D technology in tbe 3DS, and the Wii U gamepad. The former two the plaintiffs won (I'm not well informed on the Wii remote,but the glasses free 3D one was suspect, even the judge drastically lowered the amount Nintendo had to pay in damages).

I don't know how it works in Japan but I hope it doesn't have a jury for lawsuits like this, because a judge is probably less likely to tolerate the bullshit in these claims.

Because there's a lot more to this than "Yeah it's a joystick on a screen".

Last edited by RedBlueGreen, Jan 10, 2018
    Subtle Demise likes this.
  4. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Regular

Dec 24, 2015
    Poland
    And we have absurds like that, as i remember one of Apple lamsuits was scrolling thing and how the look of reaction is.

But stupid kind of lawsuit - often used by Apple was to sue another company in Germany and they block releasing product not only in Germany but also in rest of Europe.

Strange law they have got. Germany where carmageddon have dinosaurs rather than people or even Zombies :P

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. proflayton123

proflayton123 Sakura思い

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Typical ninty just wanting money out of people

6. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Addict

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, I would imagine that Nintendo is fighting to stay alive right now because everybody is stealing all there software, I love nintendo, and have since I was a kid, and I think it is fucked up to steal there shit with one hand and talk shit about them with the other hand. I think when a corporation is pushed into a corner, and has to fight to stay alive, you will see them lash out, this is a taste of things to come.

7. MeowMeowMeow

MeowMeowMeow S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ

Apr 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
    nin here, forget about your golden sun 4.

zoogie likes this.
  8. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Want to point out again, that Nintendo has been sued with seemly the same kind of nonsense. Recently by Gamevice suing over the Switch because of the Wikipad.

Last edited by KingVamp, Jan 10, 2018
    DarthDub and wicksand420 like this.
  9. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Gamevice can fuck a cactus.

10. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    WhiteMaze is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 16, 2013
    Portugal
    You know what the sad thing is?

The sad thing is that you're 100% correct. Nintendo IS the Apple of the video game world.

It's incredible how much their actions as companies mirror each other, everything from a very notorious conservative nature, a lot of times unwilling to adhere to progress like the rest of the world, to the incredibly strict company standards and the way it operates based on a politic of fear and secretism.

Now, Nintendo reminds me even more of the Apple way, by flexing it's muscles and making lawsuits after lawsuits against smaller companies.

It comes to mind when Apple filed a patent for rounded corners on smartphones and tablets. Meaning Apple wanted to be the only one to be able to make smartphones and tablets with rounded corners. Yeh. What a joke.

What a shame. I love Nintendo and their games but I can't be a double standards person. I hate Apple for what it stands for, so I just lost a lot of respect for my favorite gaming company..

What a shame Nintendo...what a shame.

Last edited by WhiteMaze, Jan 10, 2018
    CallmeBerto and senkunmusashi like this.
  11. chrisrlink

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    now I'm hoping the switch gets hacked wide open GO TX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

senkunmusashi likes this.
  12. Spectral Blizzard

Spectral Blizzard GBATemp's Only Racist Stereotypical Feminist

Banned
    Jun 17, 2017
    United States
    Everywhere
    Nintendo for you.
    FUCK YEAH!

13. wicksand420

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    If nintendo was in fact the apple version of the gaming industry, then they would be selling there consoles at ridiculous prices. when the xbox 1 and ps4 came out, they where well over 500 bucks, but the switch, as well as all the other consoles nintendo come out with are reasonably priced on launch.

14. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    WhiteMaze is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 16, 2013
    Portugal
    And heavily outclassed in power and performance by its rivals from Sony and Microsoft.

The Switch's price was never reasonably priced. That in my eyes is a complete fallacy.

It was overpriced for technology that is years old, precisely like Apple does.

Last edited by WhiteMaze, Jan 10, 2018
    wiewiec likes this.
  15. DSAndi

DSAndi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2008
    Gambia, The
    The usual Nintendo vs small ppl lawsuit.
    I hope they will loose and have to pay 60Mil to Colopl.

16. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N オンライン翻訳者が悪い

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Hell
    To paraphrase something I heard somewhere (can't quite remember where):

As a game-maker, the people at Nintendo are geniuses.
    As a company, the people at Nintendo are pieces of shit.

Boricausufire, GoldenSun3DS and aMp like this.
  17. RedBlueGreen

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Nintendo's not fighting to stay in business. Nintendo has been in business for over 100 years and they're not going anywhere anytime soon. I don't think you get just how much money Nintendo has. They didn't sink even though DS flash cards were around for a long time at cheaper prices than games, they didn't sink even though the Wii was easily hackable, and there aren't nearly as many people pirating 3DS games as people seem to think.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen, Jan 10, 2018
  18. wicksand420

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    you might want to check your math on that "over 100 years" statement, I'd say they have been in business since the early 80's

19. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 29, 2015
    United States
    That's not my point. My point is it uses a touch screen analogue stick to move with.

20. jt_1258
    This message by jt_1258 has been removed from public view by Issac, Jan 11, 2018, Reason: not an imageboard.
    Jan 10, 2018
  21. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N オンライン翻訳者が悪い

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Hell
    They've been around since the 1800s. To quote Wikipedia:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice