Nintendo files $40 Million Dollar lawsuit against Japanese mobile game company "Colopl"

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by WiiUBricker, Jan 10, 2018.

1. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Except it seems this is a patent case. Unless you are making an argument that patenting of software is tantamount to copyright of ideas, in which case tell me more.

2. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    The OP sure seems different now from what I read earlier. :ph34r:

Just kidding, though what about the lawsuit being in Japanese? Maybe I didn't understand that correctly, but that's what I referred to.

Last edited by Axido, Jan 14, 2018
  3. WiiUBricker
    OP

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Again, pay more attention. The date of your post was yesterday. The last edit date of the OP was wednesday.

The document provided from Colopl is in japanese which has been google translated minutes after the OP was posted and proven to not contain anything new. I at least considered the possibility that the document may provide new information unlike other news outlets that chose to completely ignore it.

4. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Might be worth noting a patent only applies in the country it is filed. The company could be infringing a patent that Nintendo has only filed in Japan.

5. Gizametalman

Gizametalman Banned

Banned
    Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    Makes no sense to me.

6. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Has anymore information come to light as to what this patent or infringement is?

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    While in this case it probably is just Japan that is tricky.
    Many places will have international filing options. Europe tends to have individual states with their own patents for their own countries but there is also the European patent office which covers lots. Australia and New Zealand have something ( https://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/abou...torney-regulatory-regime-new-zealand-commence ) and there are some similar arrangements the world over between closely related countries.
    Technically there is also an international filing option of a sort called the PCT but that is weak enough/hard enough to pull off to ignore it here. Going further there are all sorts of international laws regarding filing dates and how things might get backdated.

8. YuseiFD

YuseiFD GBAtemp Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    I have no idea how to explain this, but in this case, nintendo is doing the old "i did it first hurr!!!!1!!11!!1" case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice