Nintendo Didn’t Expect 3DS Sales to Drop Like This

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
The only actuall game that is a must-buy in my opinion is Street Figher IV 3D. Then again, it's not from Nintendo though Nintendo is the publisher of this game in europe.

It is a truly sad day when you rely on CAPCOM to sell your shit... Nice work, Nintendo...

Pablo3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm waiting for buy one Nintendo3DS better than this but if anyone want give one for more for free I accept
rolleyes.gif

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Rydian said:
MAYBE IF THEY RELEASED IT WITH GAMES PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANTED, PEOPLE WOULD BUY IT!

srsly Nintendo. Don't pull a Sony on us.
This. I am willing to bet that the launch titles were the reason of the (somewhat) lackluster sales of the 3DS, and not because of the increased interest in the iOS and Android markets.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
MAYBE IF THEY RELEASED IT WITH GAMES PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANTED, PEOPLE WOULD BUY IT!

Yeah, it wasn't the best idea trying to "promote third party games" like they did.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Along with bad launch titles, there is no marketing for the 3DS. A lot of people I know didn't even know there was a new handheld out. Yesterday i was in Gamestop and some people came in and were completely shocked at the 3DS display because they assumed it was just another version of the DS. If Nintendo wants to up sales they need to do a better job marketing the system.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
It might not just be the terrible line up.

People might have become wise to it's terrible build quality and heard about Nintendo's "It's not our fault the bottom screen scratches the top screen because we didn't feel like putting some bits of rubber in" policy.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:

This this this

I haven't played my 3DS since the week I got it because it's boring without good games. Come June 7th, things should change. OoT3DS baby!
biggrin.gif

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nando said:
i'm not surprised. it's way overpriced and a lot of people don't care for 3d.
Where your proof about both assumptions?

All I'm saying is the over all build quality is alright.

Although I didn't think it over price,but the price may have put some people away and bad marketing.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Heran Bago said:
It's going to take more than the games announced for me to get one. I still have so many DS RPGs on my plate and am considering buying another Lite for the future since they are going out of production. It is also yet to be seen when the 3DS will have all the announced features or if the super-neat AR will be used with any practical depth in gaming.
http://nintendo3dsblog.com/majesco-announc...den-for-the-3ds
Fighting demons... IRL.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
It might not just be the terrible line up.

People might have become wise to it's terrible build quality and heard about Nintendo's "It's not our fault the bottom screen scratches the top screen because we didn't feel like putting some bits of rubber in" policy.
I don't know too many people who avoid it because of that.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Heran Bago said:
It's going to take more than the games announced for me to get one. I still have so many DS RPGs on my plate and am considering buying another Lite for the future since they are going out of production. It is also yet to be seen when the 3DS will have all the announced features or if the super-neat AR will be used with any practical depth in gaming.
http://nintendo3dsblog.com/majesco-announc...den-for-the-3ds
Fighting demons... IRL.
Yeah this is what I'm talking about, the 3DS needs a solid lineup of this.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's a combination of issues preventing it from selling as well as they hoped.

No really strong launch titles.
The high cost of the system.
The backwards compatibility display issues.
Poor time of year to expect mass sales.
The system allegedly damaging itself just by being folded closed.
Loose hinge issues.
Occasional lockups.
Lame battery life.
Many people still struggling from the recession.
Arrived too soon on the heels of the DSi which may have left some people feeling burned.
Some people may not like the fact that the 3DS wants to connect to other systems all the time. There are people who exist in the world who don't give a tinker's damn about online gaming. The 3DS being so internet-intensive would be a huge turn-off to those people. (I'm one such person)

Plus all the other things people are talking about.

I think there is also another issue that might affect people's decision to buy a 3DS.......piracy, or lack thereof. Oh sure, you can play old DS games on it through some flashcarts, but a regular DS or DSi is still a better option for playing standard DS games, thanks to the bordering or blurring (depending on how you attempt to play them) on the 3DS screens. Nintendo has already bragged at how strong the anti-piracy measures in the 3DS are and that has likely dampened sales to those who have become used to the free-ride-piracy-fest on the DS/DSi. How big a niche pirates are in the install base isn't really known, but if sales of the 3DS are weak, it could be a possible indicator of just how mainstream piracy was on the DS/DSi. So why bother with a 3DS if there is a chance that you will never be able to pirate games on it? Hardcore pirates aren't likely to want to go back to paying through the nose for games again. I'll bet they'll see an amazing spike in 3DS sales if the system was to get busted wide open like the DS was.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
I think it's a combination of issues preventing it from selling as well as they hoped.

No really strong launch titles.
The high cost of the system.
The backwards compatibility display issues.
Poor time of year to expect mass sales.
Loose hinge issues.
Occasional lockups.
Lame battery life.
Arrived too soon on the heels of the DSi which may have left some people feeling burned.
Some people may not like the fact that the 3DS wants to connect to other systems all the time. There are people who exist in the world who don't give a tinker's damn about online gaming. The 3DS being so internet-intensive would be a huge turn-off to those people. (I'm one such person)

Plus all the other things people are talking about.

I think there is also another issue that might affect people's decision to buy a 3DS.......piracy, or lack thereof. Oh sure, you can play old DS games on it through some flashcarts, but a regular DS or DSi is still a better option for playing standard DS games, thanks to the bordering or blurring (depending on how you attempt to play them) on the 3DS screens. Nintendo has already bragged at how strong the anti-piracy measures in the 3DS are and that has likely dampened sales to those who have become used to the free-ride-piracy-fest on the DS/DSi. How big a niche pirates are in the install base isn't really known, but if sales of the 3DS are weak, it could be a possible indicator of just how mainstream piracy was on the DS/DSi. So why bother with a 3DS if there is a chance that you will never be able to pirate games on it? Hardcore pirates aren't likely to want to go back to paying through the nose for games again. I'll bet they'll see an amazing spike in 3DS sales if the system was to get busted wide open like the DS was.
You forgot to add that people think it's DS.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
KingVamp said:
nando said:
i'm not surprised. it's way overpriced and a lot of people don't care for 3d.

Although I didn't think it over price,but the price may have put some people away and bad marketing.

I don't care for 3D and I think it's overpriced.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
The backwards compatibility display issue for mw.
IMO not really an issues.
Not saying it as fact, but I think because the way it built that it just that you can easy put to much pressure on it and it may crack.
You don't just close it and it crack in it own.

The online gaming isn't a "have to" nor is 3DS connecting to other 3DS.

ShadowSoldier said:
KingVamp said:
QUOTE(nando @ Apr 26 2011, 07:35 PM) i'm not surprised. it's way overpriced and a lot of people don't care for 3d.

I don't care for 3D and I think it's overpriced.
I know some people, but he outright say a lot of people as in most people which I didn't think that true.

Which I still think is unreasonable...

Even then I didn't think it a lot.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
^^^ This kept me from buying one, I'm sure others feel the same way

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.