Gaming Nintendo Confirms Wii U Has Flopped, Slashes Sales Forecast By ~70%

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
On the 3ds I still hold it is not doing anywhere near DS quality in terms of games (we are now over 3 years in -- http://gbatemp.net/threads/5-years-of-ds-roms-in-5-days-year-3.236882/), that said most of the devs I like have mostly going andrIOS and I did not care for most first party/captive dev offerings.
If the quality of the 3DS library is lower than the DS's library, it's the developer's fault. At least with Nintendo they have been doing a pretty good job with games in the 3DS most of the time. It's okay you don't care about first parties in 3DS, but they are part of the 3DS library whether you like it or not :P.

That said I have never found a console that repeated the snes or ps1 quality of library for example. Most people will disagree with me, but the ps2/ps3/gamecube/wii/xbox/xbox360 are nowhere near the quality of snes/ps1. Nevertheless they are not bad consoles at all, it's just that when you have such a great library in one generation it will be pretty hard to repeat the triumph anytime soon.

With the DS I believe it's this case, it had a really awesome library... It will take a while before this quality repeat itself in handhelds

Reactions: NahuelDS

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo's first party efforts have tended towards the mediocre, or at least nothing that stands out compared to what came before, as far as I can see as well, I tend not to go too much into that though as the irrational part of me takes over and wants more advance wars and starfy.

Hopefully Nintendo will go third party before too long.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, off tv play is basically free, it's a hardware solution.

I think any game that supports off tv play could just as easily support a single tv screen and pro controller, after all that's basically what off tv play is.

They have sort of made it standard in newer games that you just press minus to swap between on tv and off tv play.

I think a game like Zombi u or Lego city undercover would have more value if they supported off tv play. The only trick is how you implement it. I think with these games you can pretty much make start switch to the second screen. Neither game ever really has you using both screens at the same time.

We see this in windwaker, which is mainly a one screen game, yet it is enhanced by the gamepads second screen when playing with both yet it also easily allows a one screen experience on the tv or gamepad.

If they sell a $200 console with no gamepad they just need to make games like that going forward, possibly patch a coupld of older games, and slap a gamepad required sticker on a few others. Currently we know of no games coming that rely heavily on the gamepad and even if there are you already have an install base to sell that game to. You can also bundle the game with a gamepad if some one want to add one to their system.

I see very little problems caused by making the gamepad optional and plenty of benefits. I see smash or kart as games that don't really need a gp and make sense as a cheap no gamepad bundle.

Oh, when I say core game I basically am meaning a traditional type of game. Basically not Nintendoland and not game and Wario. Those are games only possible with a gamepad, but really they have a niche limited type of appeal like a kinect sports or other kinect specific title.

Making the gp optional I feel also helps define what the gamepad is good for and why you would want it. It makes you able to play these certain games that require it, it's good for off tv play, and it also enhances some traditional type of games. If people want that let them pay an extra $100 for a gamepad and if not let them save $100. Either person will buy sw and that's where the money is actually at, who cares which hardware bundle they buy if the profit margin is the same?

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Judging by this, Nintendo isn't marketing to hard core gamers anymore.

wii.u.homepage.ninty.jpg

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They never were in the 1st place.

At launch they did talk about how the envisioned Wii U being a system that was trying to go back and appeal to the core gamers....I even think they said thats whey there is a pro controller and pointed at all the launch ports.

But of course i think Mario is about as hardcore as it gets. The man is a legend and his games required mad skillz

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
Sorry I'm getting into the war late, but I got a quest why the fu** compare the Wii U to the N64 and say that the N64 was a failure? Sure it maybe didn't sell as well as the PS1. But that does not make it to a failure, think about it for a second Sony fans.
So if you ask someone which games he/she remember from his/her childhood, will he/she answered Crash, Spyro? Maybe even Tekken? Heck no, he/she will either answered SMB 1/2/3 or SMB 64 or maybe even Banjo Kazooie.

If you ask he/she which the "Mascot " for gaming is, will he/she answer Crash, Sly? No. He/she will say Mario.

Nintendo may have and is selling bad, but its still a peace of gaming that Sonny NOR Microsoft will never ever be able to fill in, not even for those hardcore teens who actually enjoy buying the same cod game with another name every year.

Back to the saving Wii U Point,
Nintendo NEED to market the Wii U a lot better, I haven't seen any ads about it here in. Sweden for it what so ever...
And Nintendo, you should try to get a timed exclusive with the next *big* game, like the same old cod, or AC or something.

P.S. I'm actually a Windows Store, Windows Phone and Xbox Developer, so please don't say I am a ignoring bitch who haven't grown up and used other consoles...

P.S 2,(you see what I did there ;) ). I saw someone writing that the last of us is a great game, can't agree on that one. Even Minecraft have a story which makes more sense...

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No... Why did you metion the N64? Now Foxi4 will make a speech about how bad the N64 was, how it is super overrated, difficult to program and how the controller sucks...

But as someone who did own a PS1, I must say. Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Crash Bandicoot and Crash Team Racing are all fantastic games from my childhood. Love the snes and the n64, but the ps1 had a lot of charm (sadly I don't see many people talk about the ps1, it seems the ps2 made people forget it ever existed)

Reactions: Foxi4 and filfat

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Sweden
LOL Rodrig (Sorry, cannot reply to posts on the surface for some reasons) good joke about Foxi4 did not think about that XD

Yes, I love Crash. In fact a PS 2 and Crash Bandicoot was the real first console I had. But somehow I'm more nostalgic over the N64 a console I did not even own ;)

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I'm getting into the war late, but I got a quest why the fu** compare the Wii U to the N64 and say that the N64 was a failure? Sure it maybe didn't sell as well as the PS1. But that does not make it to a failure, think about it for a second Sony fans.
So if you ask someone which games he/she remember from his/her childhood, will he/she answered Crash, Spyro? Maybe even Tekken? Heck no, he/she will either answered SMB 1/2/3 or SMB 64 or maybe even Banjo Kazooie.

If you ask he/she which the "Mascot " for gaming is, will he/she answer Crash, Sly? No. He/she will say Mario.

Nintendo may have and is selling bad, but its still a peace of gaming that Sonny NOR Microsoft will never ever be able to fill in, not even for those hardcore teens who actually enjoy buying the same cod game with another name every year.

Back to the saving Wii U Point,
Nintendo NEED to market the Wii U a lot better, I haven't seen any ads about it here in. Sweden for it what so ever...
And Nintendo, you should try to get a timed exclusive with the next *big* game, like the same old cod, or AC or something.

P.S. I'm actually a Windows Store, Windows Phone and Xbox Developer, so please don't say I am a ignoring bitch who haven't grown up and used other consoles...

P.S 2,(you see what I did there ;) ). I saw someone writing that the last of us is a great game, can't agree on that one. Even Minecraft have a story which makes more sense...
1st of all the Nintendo 64 was a complete failure.
Second of all my childhood consisted of Spyro, Resident Evil and Sonic the hedgehog so don't stereotype and play the Strawman game.
3rd off, if you're trying to tell me that Minecraft has a story at all, and is somehow Even remotely better then the Last of us, you must have lost your freaking mind.

And seriously, it's not just Foxi that thinks the n64 was a failure. It WAS. The facts support it.
The problem here is Nintendo is so much of a religion now, it's like an Atheist trying to use evidence against a creationist.
It goes nowhere.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The NES was a then unparalleled success, other than the megadrive/genesis acting as an early prelude for the failure/fall of Nintendo the SNES was also a monster. Few will try to argue otherwise, though I do want to note it was not just off Nintendo's back and there were a lot of third party devs doing very good work there (some seem to think that third parties are not necessary).

With the N64 Nintendo made a device that was hard to program, went against the grain in several ways (cartridges and controller being the big two) and otherwise continued to alienate the devs of the day (see the very public departure of Square (Enix), granted it is not like they did a lot in the PS1 era).

This meant the N64 pretty much bombed everywhere, got far fewer games than its competition and all sorts of other not so fun things. If your new product causes you to very much no longer be a leader of a field then it hard to see it as anything other than a failure, this can be because of many things including the market no longer existing but it is not like computer games went away (quite the opposite).

By my count the Wii U is hard to program for, goes against the grain in a lot of ways (the controller, the processing power, the online infrastructure....) and Nintendo has been seen to alienate the better developers of the day (EA and Ubisoft seem to be lukewarm at best and Square seem to be doing not an awful lot either).

Regarding Mario 1,2 and 3 what do NES and SNES games have to do with the failure, or not, of the N64? Nobody is denying that Nintendo have not had a massive effect on the industry over the years, and few would unless you are going to try discussing very specific areas where they might not have done much of anything.
Mascot for gaming.... wait Lara Croft, no Master Chief, hold on Doom Marine. I am not quite sure what you are getting at there either.

You are quite free to have enjoyed your N64, I might question that at some level but I will leave that for later, and there were some games of note for it so there is that. However it was mostly a failure by most of the means people use to test such things. I already said my piece of the rest though (the shift of opinion being sharp enough to cause whiplash and most of the rest being nostalgia for an age that never existed, that or some type of victim complex).

Reactions: Foxi4

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So if you ask someone which games he/she remember from his/her childhood, will he/she answered Crash, Spyro? Maybe even Tekken? Heck no

Tekken is the biggest selling fighting IP IRC.
The original Crash and Spyro gaems are still making Sony money on PSN. This is despite the last of the classic gaems being released around fifteen years ago and each respective IP going into the abyss.

Please think before you post. You make yourself look like a complete moron.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So you say that a women/man who has no interest in game what so ever, are more likely to know crash and Tekken than Mario. And you said I'm the one looking like a completely moron... LoL...

No. I quoted you on what people would remember from their childhood and explained how people would remember those IPs fondly.

And considering the PSX had a bigger usebase, there are a lot of people whose first gaems were Crash, Spyro et al rather than Nintendo's IPs.

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Sweden
True, but still that weren't what I said about people knowing the game. My first game where Crash 3. But is till have more nostalgic over Mario. Mario is just a video game figure that none ells will ever get close to, Crash, Spyro, Kazzoie tried but they are not even half as well know by the people. And that's why Nintendo is the winner even what the sales numbers say. Mario is even more famous then Barney Stinson(just Love the show so I had to say it here ;) ), and well that's a true story.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So if you ask someone which games he/she remember from his/her childhood, will he/she answered Crash, Spyro? Maybe even Tekken? Heck no,

Oooo, ummm.
Actually thats me.

Yeah Tekken is my all time favourite game series, I've owned every game and it was my 1st game.
Spyro and Crash were close to my heart, I still play Crash bash and Spyro 2 gateway to glimmer was amazing, i cried when my ps2 broke with it in it.
I even bought all the new spyro series: The legend of Spyro and had a great time playing them.
In terms of nintendo gaming, I only really got into Pokemon. Mario was meh and I never played Zelda

:)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Except all of reddit 4chan and YouTube reviewers