Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
I think the main reason it doesn't have the clamshell design is to further differentiate it from the 3DS. The average consumer is already going to be confused by the name alone when comparing it to the 3DS, but it'd be even worse if it looked exactly the same as the 3DS. Of course, it's also to make it more familiar to "tablet era" kids, which is the 2DS's target demographic. I still don't think it should've been made to begin with though.

The price is kind of a null point, because any parent who's going to blow $100+ on video games for their 5 year old clearly does not care about their money, or have enough to where it doesn't even affect them. The increased durability with the lack of hinges is also pointless, as the screens are now constantly exposed, which will surely be damaged more easily than the 3DS by the young kids the system is meant for.

There will definitely be a market for it, both within the demographic and outside of it, but I honestly think it's just going to cause more problems and confusion for the consumers. It just really was not needed, and Nintendo should've put their time and money into something else that would reach a much larger demographic.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) This new 3ds makes perfect sense considering 3D is damaging to the eyes of children under 7(or is it 8?) and that pokemon X and Y are coming out before christmas. Since so many under that age buy pokemon, it's a no-brainer for parents. They can easily be told that their child can play the game they want on cheapest version of the console. Parents also don't have to worry about the eye damage, like with the other versions.

2) Second analogue stick didn't happen on the XL, no way it was going to happen here.

3) The form factor makes sense for kids whose experience with tech is probably mostly tablets. They can set it down on a table and play very comfortably for long periods of time, rather than hold it uncomfortably and get tired easily. Also less liable to break hinges, which kids are rough on. There are probably other reasons too. It looks weird now, but I'm sure it's something that'll be gotten used to soon enough

4) The screen size was decided on probably so it can be sold for cheap

In other words, we're probably not the intended demographic. It does, however, make perfect sense when you consider the intended demographic. The question is if it'll work or not. My guess is it certainly ain't going to hurt nintendo.

Personally, I'll probably not get one. Never a new one at the very least. It's neat, but I'm aiming for a new pokemon or zelda themed 3DSXL.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
1) This new 3ds makes perfect sense considering 3D is damaging to the eyes of children under 7(or is it 8?) and that pokemon X and Y are coming out before christmas. Since so many under that age buy pokemon, it's a no-brainer for parents. They can easily be told that their child can play the game they want on cheapest version of the console. Parents also don't have to worry about the eye damage, like with the other versions.

The 3DS has parental locks for the 3D effect, so again, another null point.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS has parental locks for the 3D effect, so again, another null point.

It may seem a simple enough task to you, but something like that can make the difference in a parent's mind on whether they purchase the console or not.

From a non-gamer parent, the difference between "you have to parental lock this or your child could suffer serious damage" and "there's no way this can cause harm to your child's eyes" are night and day. I know it sounds silly, but this really does make a huge impact.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
There are pens for that. And I love multi touch screens.that's totally your opinion. Sure it wouldn't be ideal to make it a capacitive touch screen for it, but I'm hoping that the next Nintendo handheld totally will have one.

Capacitive pens are little under 1cm wide so it's still far from accurate especially on small screen. Multi touch would have it use but with physical buttons on sides limits need for it. And still increases price of device and pen as good and actually working capacitive pens cost 20e instead of non-scratching regular stylus 2e.
Would be pretty neat but I'm sure more people would just hate it.

Canadacdn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It looks kind of awkward, but I guess the lack of hinges make it cheaper to manufacture. I'd totally buy this if I didn't already have a 3DS XL, and if the thing didn't have only a mono speaker. :P Nintendo should have just taken out one of the useless, low quality cameras to cut down on costs instead of ditching stereo. Who's going to use AR cards in 2D anyway?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo could easily make it mandatory for developers to include single stick control options in every game. That would solve the problem right there. It's not particularly hard to do either, as games like Resident Evil: Revelations prove.

Developers could easily say "fuck you" to Nintendo as well.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Are there really people waiting for a 3ds with a second analog? lmfaooo it wont happen move on. CPP isin't even having games made for it anymore check the list

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one here seeing that they will wait about 6 months and release Nintendo 2DS XL?

No, you and everyone keep saying 2DS XL when you all don't realize that doesn't make sense. First of all, if you watch the video its supposed to be the "value" member of the family of 3DS handhelds. If a 2DS XL is made it will be at or greater than the price of the regular 3DS which defeats the purpose of making a 2DS in the first place. Second, None of you realize that the 2DS is way more spacious in terms of grip. the reason the D-pad and ABXY buttons are stationed at the middle is because the shoulder buttons are so high up. If a 2DS XL was made it would be virtually unplayable. It wouldn't even be a Handheld anymore, it would become a Kindle Fire 2DS.

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I like it. And I probably will get it.

The design is great, in my honest opinion. It looks like an awesome nod to the GameBoy, and I love GameBoys. It's like they took the Classic GBA and stretched it down, adding a second screen and more buttons. I really dig it. The triggers look just like the ones on the GBA, not the awkward triggers on a clamshell design. This makes it more comfortable to hold when playing, and plays a lot better on games that need them badly. The 3D on a 3DS gives me intense eye pain and headaches, so I barely ever use it. It also looks sturdy, and more heavy on the NINTENDIUM quantities - not using a Hinge, means it's a fuckton more durable. Hinges always break within time, which sucks.

I love the damn thing and I want it. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Yumi

lukasic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What the hell is that supposed to be?Come on,i've never seen a console uglier than that...I don't think anyone is going to buy this....Good luck nintendo,you're gonna need it...

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This thing DOES have a market; I understand the hate that it looks stupid, but people need to understand that this thing is for younger kids who do things like snap the hinges. I personally know one family who had to get their 3DS repaired twice out of warranty because their 7yo snapped the hinge twice. Looking at this thing from that parent's perspective, it's a great idea. So what if it looks ugly (and to tell you the truth I'm very slightly attracted to it).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1