Nintendo acknowledges Switch playtime reset as a bug, expects more information soon

switch-playtime.png

Recently, some Nintendo Switch owners found out that their playtimes for Switch launch titles have been reset, such as for Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In that case, the counter says "First played 0 days ago" instead of showing the total playtime in hours. A Reddit user provided the following possible explanation:

Looks like Nintendo's code is only looking for the day and month you last played the game and figuring out the time since then. It's ignoring the year. It doesn't know you started March 3rd 2017, just March 3rd, so 0 days ago.

The Switch shows the "First played X days ago" message for 10 days after you first launch a game. This means that, in theory, the correct playtime should return on the 11th day. In the meantime, Nintendo provided the following statement on twitter, acknowledging the reset as an issue and expecting more information on the matter soon:

Some Nintendo Switch owners' play activity information is displaying incorrectly. We are aware of the issue and we expect to have more information to share in the near future.

:arrow: Source

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Serious question, tell me, what's more important, you knowing you spent 200+ hours on Breath of the Wild, or other people knowing you spend 200+ hours? I honestly don't see this as that big of a deal, if you know you spent that much time, then okay.
others knowing how much of a time waster you are is the whole point of this, you cannot enlarge your e-peen if only you know it.

Reactions: Jacklack3

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
others knowing how much of a time waster you are is the whole point of this, you cannot enlarge your e-peen if only you know it.

That's not really my problem now, is it? *shrug* C'est la vie. If people want to keep record of their time they can use a screenshot tool or take a picture of it.

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
That's not really my problem now, is it? *shrug* C'est la vie. If people want to keep record of their time they can use a screenshot tool or take a picture of it.
Yeah cause doing that is very convenient. You wanna know why no one cares about the activity log on the 3DS? Because it's slow, and only I can see. I want other people to know I've been playing SMO for more than 100 hours instead of telling them and then having to prove it.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah cause doing that is very convenient. You wanna know why no one cares about the activity log on the 3DS? Because it's slow, and only I can see. I want other people to know I've been playing SMO for more than 100 hours instead of telling them and then having to prove it.

Nothing can be done about it now, and Nintendo will force a new firmware update probably.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

Wait... Other people can see how long you've spent playing games? There's an opt-out for this, right??

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if it's the console, or the game, but I also had a bug with play time.
it's not reset, but increased !

I played around 100H of xenoblade2.
I save the game, the in-game time says 100H (all fine)
you go to switch menu, the game is paused, if you come back one day later and continue playing the time has not changed and was correctly paused.

But this time, I didn't play for 2 weeks, and when I went back in the game and saved, the in-game time increased ! I'm now at 470H while I only played 100H :(

You can test yourself, the game does not increase time when you go into the switch home menu (whether you are in the game's menu or in the game's world).
It's not "that" important, but it's always nice to know how much you played an RPG. Now the play time is all wrong.

So, is it the switch which tell the game how much you played, or is it the game which has a bug and doesn't stop counting when you exit to the switch menu?

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users