Nintendo acknowledges Switch playtime reset as a bug, expects more information soon

switch-playtime.png

Recently, some Nintendo Switch owners found out that their playtimes for Switch launch titles have been reset, such as for Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In that case, the counter says "First played 0 days ago" instead of showing the total playtime in hours. A Reddit user provided the following possible explanation:

Looks like Nintendo's code is only looking for the day and month you last played the game and figuring out the time since then. It's ignoring the year. It doesn't know you started March 3rd 2017, just March 3rd, so 0 days ago.

The Switch shows the "First played X days ago" message for 10 days after you first launch a game. This means that, in theory, the correct playtime should return on the 11th day. In the meantime, Nintendo provided the following statement on twitter, acknowledging the reset as an issue and expecting more information on the matter soon:

Some Nintendo Switch owners' play activity information is displaying incorrectly. We are aware of the issue and we expect to have more information to share in the near future.

:arrow: Source

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is a UI-only bug. It certainly does not affect save files. It could be that your play time was reset, but I don't think that's the case either. Instead, the Switch looks to see if you first played a game more than X days ago (I forget how many days it is). If it's less than that, display the number of days. If it's more than that, display the number of hours. I expect your playtime is still being maintained and you will have your total hours once again after you surpass that window of X number of days.

Knowing about software development, this is what would make the most sense.

Reactions: T3GZdev and Madridi

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
Trophies
XP
Country
France
All my playtimes are bugged since the first day than I have my switch execpt one : MK8D
others tell me for exemple :
TLOZ BOTW : first time 10 days, I've it since 25 december 2017
same for Mario Rabbit kingdom battle
And my others games too

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is a UI-only bug. It certainly does not affect save files. It could be that your play time was reset, but I don't think that's the case either. Instead, the Switch looks to see if you first played a game more than X days ago (I forget how many days it is). If it's less than that, display the number of days. If it's more than that, display the number of hours. I expect your playtime is still being maintained and you will have your total hours once again after you surpass that window of X number of days.

Knowing about software development, this is what would make the most sense.
This is exactly what I think it is

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Serious question, tell me, what's more important, you knowing you spent 200+ hours on Breath of the Wild, or other people knowing you spend 200+ hours? I honestly don't see this as that big of a deal, if you know you spent that much time, then okay.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk how hot of a take this is, but science as a subject sucks