ROM Hack Ninokuni: Shikkoku no Madoushi - Translation Project

xuliko

Trophies
XP
Country
I am not using google translate... I am doing a japanese course... I am studying since five months and I know that must learn more...
Anyway... I'll say to pleonex that I'll leave the translation. and he stops to do the tool.
One thing I neve translate literal... But many persons prefer the ps3 version because It's official... but good...
I am sad... and I am angry...dissapointed...
I wasn't talking about you using google translate, but to the guy from gamefaqs.
Also PleoNex is not working on it "just" for you so I don't see why he should stop it x)

And many persons would like to " wait & see " the PS3 version, before actually translating to keep a certain degree of consistency to the game.
Quit if you want but you can always translate THEN fix what you think needs it when the PS3 ver. will be out.

Oh, sorry. I had understood that I you asked me that question. About Pleonex, he is finishing the tool.
Pleonex isn't doing the tools ONLY for me, he is doing for everybody.
I could wait to the ps3 version or correct the mistakes with ps3 version.
But there one thing that I don't like, it's the localization, I know that the games are translated according to the localization in
a place, for example Phoenix Wright, the character Maya in the japanese version her favourite food is Ramen, but in the
other versions, europe and USA are hamburgers.
But I think that Namco Bandai translates very good, I guess. But I am still doubting if Namco Bandai will translate the
game in the PAL version, (ps3 version), to other languages for example, french, italian, spanish... But I think Namco
Bandai, I hope that translates this game in English and other languages. (If they don't change more the date of release).

Other news for me:
So far, I am going to be very upset because of personal affairs (Studies and family), I will be in "little holiday" doing my things during
one or two months, I hope that anybody angry with me, I hope.

Regards ;)

Permafry_42

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
select-start.net
XP
Country
Canada
I'm glad to be back! It's great to see we're still arguing amongst ourselves over when we are going to start translating the game, rather than those who wish to start starting with or without those waiting for the official translation of the PS3 version.

So I have returned back from Japan, and I now own a Japanese copy of both the DS game and the physical copy of the Magic Master, as well as all of the original packaging that comes with the game naturally. I've been slowly playing my way through as much of the game as I can despite only knowing about 50 words of Japanese, and not even knowing one character in Kanji. Despite the apparently simplicity of the Japanese, I know that I will not be able to help in terms of translation. However, if there's one thing I've learned from playing Professor Layton, it is that I have a knack for puzzles and codes. So when I was skimming through the Magic Master book for the 3rd time, saw page 4-5, 216-217 and 338-339 (please inform us if there are any other pages you have found with the code's symbols used), and then saw the simple key for the code on pages 350-351, I realised we have a dilemma from this simple puzzle. We will need to decide whether we remove the code from the book and instead simply leave it solved and translated, or if we will do our best to localise the puzzle by modifying the code to make use of the English language. If you don't understand the dilemma, it is the question of how far we will localize the game when dealing with it's puzzles. This dilemma also extends to any of language-based puzzles in the game. As with any video games localisation involving puzzles, We have 2 main goals: 1 to leave the translation feeling as close to the original translation as possible, and 2 to leave the puzzles as close to the original puzzle as possible. In this case, I think we should try to recreate the puzzle using the English language as the basis of the code by going the extra miles of editing the code to work with the English alphabet and symbols rather than just removing the codes and replacing them with the translated and decoded meanings. Has anyone else noticed this already? What do you think we should do? Does anyone besides myself have a book they will be able to reference from?

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone else noticed this already? What do you think we should do? Does anyone besides myself have a book they will be able to reference from?
I have a physical copy of the book and I know exactly what you're talking about. When I first saw the Astram language cipher in the back of the book, I realized the problem immediately. But it will be impossible to make the Astram code work with English letters unless you rebuild the cipher from the ground up.

*EDIT*
Eh, maybe not impossible, but I can't think of a practical solution for doing a straight translation.

Reactions: 1 person

Permafry_42

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
select-start.net
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone else noticed this already? What do you think we should do? Does anyone besides myself have a book they will be able to reference from?
I have a physical copy of the book and I know exactly what you're talking about. When I first saw the Astram language cipher in the back of the book, I realized the problem immediately. But it will be impossible to make the Astram code work with English letters unless you rebuild the cipher from the ground up.

*EDIT*
Eh, maybe not impossible, but I can't think of a practical solution for doing a straight translation.

That was my first thought too. Bellow is my solution to this problem after thinking it through for a bit. We will need to choose if we want to try this option or not. Naturally removing the code will be much easier and quicker, so if this turns out to take too much time we can always go with the back up plan of a directly translating the code into English and Spanish and leaving it uncoded.

1) We'll need the following types of people for my idea to work:
A) 1 (or more if necessary) Graphic Editors to clean the original code from the pages where the code takes place. Ideally we'd want someone like a manga scanlator who has cleaned RAW manga in the past and has experience with removing text without affecting the artwork.
B) 2 translators for the 2 languages there are being translated into (Spanish and English). They both use the Roman Alphabet, so the simplest solution is to turn the code into the roman alphabet and then at the end create the 2 new codes that reflect the 2 languages. The only significant difference would be the Roman characters in Spanish that aren't in English.
C) A Codebreaker/Codemaker to take apart the code in the book and redesign the new code in order for it to be as authentic to the original as possible. If no one else has enough experience with children's symbol puzzles like these, I'd be willing to take up the role when I am not busy with my other projects since I have plenty of experience with there types of codes and know in general how they work.
2) We decode the symbols into their Kanji meanings. We will need one of the Japanese speaker to decode the direction of the text due to the style of the code featuring arrows that I can only assume not knowing Japanese myself to indicate the direction of the text in some fashion. It is important we remember this structure so as to maintain the difficulty found in decoding the code in Kanji by a Japanese reader.
3) AFTER, we translate the kanji into English and Spanish. It is important these are confirmed for accuracy since it will take considerable amount of work to correct any mistakes in translation made. These translations will then be sent to the Codemaker so that they can redesign the code to fit the 2 languages.
5) WHILE we are decoding and recoding, the graphic editor will need to clean the symbols from the pages of the book. It is important the artwork remains unaffected from the symbols being cleaned from the page.
6) We leave the number symbols of the code the way they are. They're too integrated into the artwork on the maps and pages to allow for changes to be made for them, even for a skilled graphics editor. Besides, it saves us the work since they have identical use in Spanish and English. However, the number symbols will still need to be cleaned from the image of the book file when inside a group of text so as to fit with the new code.
7) We try to use all the symbols in that are not used in any of the pictures by just themselves to fit the coding of the Spanish and English Alphabet and punctuations. If too many, we remove those that are unneeded. If too few, we can add our own symbols to the code.
8) When this is done, the codemaker will then create 2 new keys to replace the Key on page 350-351 for the 2 languages that the translation will be released in (Spanish and English).
9) Using these Keys, the code maker will recode the code once in Spanish and once in English so that, when uncoded, it means the translation of the original meaning to the Japanese Code. The two new coded messages will need to be double checked to confirm that they are the correct code that successfully uncodes to say the correct message.
10) Finally, once everything else have been completed and reviewed, the Graphics Editor will insert the 2 new coded messages into their locations in the cleaned books.

Does anyone see any problems or issues that I have not thought of? Is this too difficult a task just to maintain 1 of the many puzzles in the game in it's original form rather than just removing it for simplicity's sake?

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A) 1 (or more if necessary) Graphic Editors to clean the original code from the pages where the code takes place. Ideally we'd want someone like a manga scanlator who has cleaned RAW manga in the past and has experience with removing text without affecting the artwork.

didn't we already stated that scans are forbidden?

Permafry_42

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
select-start.net
XP
Country
Canada

didn't we already stated that scans are forbidden?

Am I to understand then that, in terms of the book, we won't be modifying a scan period? That we are going with a text-only translation of the book? If so, that may be challenging for thoses who aren't lucky enough to have bought the original book like i have. However, if we are, then the simple solution is to release the key and the code as something hand drawn to qualify 100% as fan artwork and therefore unable to be C&D'd. Here is a modified plan for a text translation of the book:

1) We'll need the following types of people for my idea to work:
A) 2 translators for the 2 languages there are being translated into (Spanish and English). They both use the Roman Alphabet, so the simplest solution is to turn the code into the roman alphabet and then at the end create the 2 new codes that reflect the 2 languages. The only significant difference would be the Roman characters in Spanish that aren't in English.
B) A Codebreaker/Codemaker to take apart the code in the book and redesign the new code in order for it to be as authentic to the original as possible. They will also need to draw the symbols to form the 2 new codes. If no one else has enough experience with children's symbol puzzles like these, I'd be willing to take up the role when I am not busy with my other projects since I have plenty of experience with there types of codes and know in general how they work.
2) We decode the symbols into their Kanji meanings. We will need one of the Japanese speaker to decode the direction of the text due to the style of the code featuring arrows that I can only assume not knowing Japanese myself to indicate the direction of the text in some fashion. It is important we remember this structure so as to maintain the difficulty found in decoding the code in Kanji by a Japanese reader.
3) AFTER, we translate the kanji into English and Spanish. It is important these are confirmed for accuracy since it will take considerable amount of work to correct any mistakes in translation made. These translations will then be sent to the Codemaker so that they can redesign the code to fit the 2 languages.
4) We leave the number symbols of the code the way they are. They're too integrated into the artwork on the maps and pages to allow for changes to be made for them.
5) We try to use all the symbols in that are not used in any of the pictures by just themselves to fit the coding of the Spanish and English Alphabet and punctuations. If too many, we remove those that are unneeded. If too few, we can add our own symbols to the code.
6) When this is done, the codemaker will then create 2 new keys to replace the Key on page 350-351 for the 2 languages that the translation will be released in (Spanish and English).
7) Using these Keys, the code maker will recode the code once in Spanish and once in English so that, when uncoded, it means the translation of the original meaning to the Japanese Code. The two new coded messages will need to be double checked to confirm that they are the correct code that successfully uncodes to say the correct message.
10) Finally, once everything else have been completed and reviewed, the localised code will be published when the rest of the book's translation is made available.

Am I still mistaken on your meaning? Are we planing something other than a text translation of the book? If so what?

AihanKaidan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I to understand then that, in terms of the book, we won't be modifying a scan period? That we are going with a text-only translation of the book? If so, that may be challenging for thoses who aren't lucky enough to have bought the original book like i have.
It had always been my assumption that people that don't have the physical book would have just downloaded whatever pdf copy of the pages I've heard being talked about. I mean if we want to talk about fairness to people without the book, then they should have a copy of the game and the book comes along with that, so...

Anyway, I think a complete reworking of Astram for English is a bit extreme. We can translate the little stories in the book all we want, but there are still little hidden codes in Astram that must be input into the game verbatim to complete certain quests. To change things around would make those subquests highly confusing, and near impossible for any person using that particular guide.

Permafry_42

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
select-start.net
XP
Country
Canada
I think a complete reworking of Astram for English is a bit extreme. We can translate the little stories in the book all we want, but there are still little hidden codes in Astram that must be input into the game verbatim to complete certain quests. To change things around would make those subquests highly confusing, and near impossible for any person using that particular guide.

You can confirm that the game requires certain codes imputed using the Astram code in the book? If so, that increases the problem considerably. If that is the case, we will probably need to remove those puzzles by decoding the puzzles for the players and explaining what needs to be imputed to continue the game in order to make the game playable I English. We'll also need to explain why it needs to be imputed. Unless we have someone skilled enough in hacking that they could modify those parts of the game directly, it will simply be too much work for us to directly localize the code. So, to summarize, we'll leave those puzzles unlocalized and translated, and then using either the book or the game explain what will need to be done in order to progress in the game while explaining why this is necessary .

Permafry_42

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
select-start.net
XP
Country
Canada
Good news and bad news about Ni No Kuni PS3:
The Good news (or more bad news if you hate the English dubbed version) is that a trailer featuring the English voice acting has been released, and is available here:

The Bad news is at the end of the video: The game has been delayed yet again, this time to Q1 2013.

All I can say is that I hope that with all that extra time they don't remove any content from the game. I would love if they released a English translation of the DS physical version of the Magic Master to go along with the game, but at this point I'm getting more and more pessimistic towards the PS3 release.

Source: http://www.computera...-delayed-again/

Edit: More good news! Just confirmed that both the Japanese (with subtitles naturally) and English dub will be playable in both the North American and European versions!
Source: http://www.rpgsite.n...rica-and-europe

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Well, I give another bad news, the PS3 version has the book in digital form on it and not on paper.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
tinycartridge.com/post/21287948388/level-5-abandoned-ni-no-kuni-ds-localization said:
Hino said that because of difficulty translating the bundled Magic Master Book, and the difficulty of selling such a bundle outside of Japan, plans to localize the DS game were abandoned.

Permafry_42

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
select-start.net
XP
Country
Canada
tinycartridge.com/post/21287948388/level-5-abandoned-ni-no-kuni-ds-localization said:
Hino said that because of difficulty translating the bundled Magic Master Book, and the difficulty of selling such a bundle outside of Japan, plans to localize the DS game were abandoned.

Thanks for the quote; I didn't know that was the reason. I thought it was because the DS era died when the 3ds came out.

T3Petition

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi there,
i just wanna say that i would like the following game translated:
Ninokuni Shikkoku no Madoushi(NDS)

i didn't make an post in the 'game translation request thread' because i have some information that could help other translate this great game
my friend "13philip13" moderator of:www.gametranslations.net has reached the script of the game
and made some screenshot
20101208215823.png

as you can see, he reached and edited the text

he says that he has no time to translate this game but that he is willing to help you guys reach text
and graphic files

i am not familiar with the Japanese language nor romhacking, and philip has no time to translate this
game, so i want to ask if some of you would like to translate this game or atleast assist in this project

if you want info on how to get to the text and how to edit it, please contact philip via MSN:
[email protected]
or visit his forum@
www.gametranslations.net

Thanks in Advance!

Why did you abandoned the translation project of Ninokuni Shikkoku no Madoushi(NDS)?
The NDS version will never has a localization, why don't we re-start to translate it?

T3Petition

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You really should have read the latest page before quoting the first one...

I had read them, NDS versione never see the localization but only PS3. Are two different version on two different console. The problem of the Magic Book is solvable.

Wait the PS3 version means wait 9 months, and NDS and PS3 version aren't the same. In internet and on youtube I saw subtitleted parts of game, also separeted menu's translation; the problem is put them in the game and here we need a programmer. If we wait 9 mounth you don't think that the translation will come out too late from the launch of NDS game? We can wait to fix it but wait, copying from the PS3 version is dangerous because they are different version and we will copy the same that we can find already on the web, Sorry for my bad english :)

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had read them, NDS versione never see the localization but only PS3. Are two different version on two different console. The problem of the Magic Book is solvable.

Wait the PS3 version means wait 9 months, and NDS and PS3 version aren't the same. In internet and on youtube I saw subtitleted parts of game, also separeted menu's translation; the problem is put them in the game and here we need a programmer. If we wait 9 mounth you don't think that the translation will come out too late from the launch of NDS game? We can wait to fix it but wait, copying from the PS3 version is dangerous because they are different version and we will copy the same that we can find already on the web, Sorry for my bad english :)

The problem here isn't a programming issue. There just aren't enough translators here who knows Osaka-ben and have the game with the book.

T3Petition

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

The problem here isn't a programming issue. There just aren't enough translators here who knows Osaka-ben and have the game with the book.

Is possible that I saw the slide of the full book on a japanese forum? Maybe we can find it.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is possible that I saw the slide of the full book on a japanese forum? Maybe we can find it.

I don't believe you would be able to link it here. Check the rules.
And that's not the problem. The problem is finding someone who knows Japanese and Osaka-ben(The dialect used in the game). Having the game and the book helps the translator with the context so that the translation is accurate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, from the shows website?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: who is lizzo?