• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

New USA President!

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unemployment is terminated after the agreed amount is paid out. Otherwise, so long as you have a minor, OR a dependent, the SNAP TANF WIC and Medicade keep coming in.

100 a month? Incorrect. My father is on SNAP right now, made $600 a month, still has his benefits. Also you imply that these people will report their income from begging, on their taxes. Yeah right. Who's going to know? No one. It's cash, there's no trace unless someone rats you out. Chances of that? Pshaw.
The point about welfare fraud was made to establish that that counts in case "welfare fraud is at an all-time high" comes up

I was not aware, however, that they allow you to go that high with income. That may be a state-by-state thing

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
that makes sense, I haven't really thought about that. I try and think about the parents that actually do care a lot about their children and want the best for them. I'm not implying anything against you, just in general.
Oh, I'm not taking anything against myself, haha. My mother only took in WIC for 3 months after I was born, and stopped because she didn't like leeching from the system. In the case of my father, he owes 50,000 USD to the government in a failed child support case to another kid, so he can't make any money as the govt takes it automatically. That's why he's on benefits. I meant that nearly every one of my friends in school were pretty much born so their parents could claim them for money. It's really sad...

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

starly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I'm not taking anything against myself, haha. My mother only took in WIC for 3 months after I was born, and stopped because she didn't like leeching from the system. In the case of my father, he owes 50,000 USD to the government in a failed child support case to another kid, so he can't make any money as the govt takes it automatically. That's why he's on benefits. I meant that nearly every one of my friends in school were pretty much born so their parents could claim them for money. It's really sad...

that is really sad. I've been lucky to have a relatively "normal" family life and am lucky for the opportunities I've had, especially after watching my sibling squander each and every one of those opportunities. How do you feel about the talk about wanting to cut all the welfare and benefits programs?

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
that is really sad. I've been lucky to have a relatively "normal" family life and am lucky for the opportunities I've had, especially after watching my sibling squander each and every one of those opportunities. How do you feel about the talk about wanting to cut all the welfare and benefits programs?
I'm not sure of Trump's stance on welfare. A quick Google search shows that he wants to crack down with how easy it is to get on welfare, which I can get behind. If there's actual talks to get rid of it entirely...I'm quite mixed. I think it's essential for a lot of families that have parents who get fired, or just cant find a job, rough times, etc. but it's also a huge source of fraud. I wouldn't support an entire withdraw of the plan, but I do think we need reform. Big time.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are people even still surprised?
Unlike certain other people, he isn't just all talk.

iuWso3D.jpg

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure of Trump's stance on welfare. A quick Google search shows that he wants to crack down with how easy it is to get on welfare, which I can get behind. If there's actual talks to get rid of it entirely...I'm quite mixed. I think it's essential for a lot of families that have parents who get fired, or just cant find a job, rough times, etc. but it's also a huge source of fraud. I wouldn't support an entire withdraw of the plan, but I do think we need reform. Big time.

This is pretty much my stance on it. I see people abuse it all the time. Should you go on it if you fall on hard times?, sure but to stay on it for years or permanently is insane to me.

Last edited by SomecallmeBerto,
Reactions: player594

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was never under the illusion that Mexico would even pay for the wall. Seems like such a silly point. We should pay for it. It's one of the few things that the government is supposed to do.

Last edited by SomecallmeBerto,

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
White House announces a 20% import tax on Mexican food to pay for the wall. That means US taxpayers will pay for the wall upfront, then pay for the wall a second time in higher prices.

Maybe... Who knows, maybe this will press Enrique Paco Nieto to call Trump and ask for a deal.

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was never under the illusion that Mexico would even pay for the wall. Seems like such a silly point. We should pay for it. It's one of the few things that the government is supposed to do.
But that was the entire selling point. When he mentioned the wall people cheered. When he said Mexico would pay people roared.

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But that was the entire selling point. When he mentioned the wall people cheered. When he said Mexico would pay people roared.

The wall isn't built yet and we don't know what the strategy will be to regain any potential cost. Let's give him a chance to follow through on his promise.

At least we know he meant everything he said, and will try to fulfill his promises. His executive orders are all looking to address what his campaign was all about.

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The wall isn't built yet and we don't know what the strategy will be to regain any potential cost. Let's give him a chance to follow through on his promise.

At least we know he meant everything he said, and will try to fulfill his promises. His executive orders are all looking to address what his campaign was all about.
I was replying to Berto who said Mexico paying was never an important part of this.

Reactions: SomecallmeBerto

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was replying to Berto who said Mexico paying was never an important part of this.

Agreed I think he will have a hard time explaining to the press if he doesn't at least get Mexico to cooperate on the wall. Let's see what he tries to leverage, the GOP said there were several options, I'm curious to see what he comes up with.

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Agreed I think he will have a hard time explaining to the press if he doesn't at least get Mexico to cooperate on the wall. Let's see what he tries to leverage, the GOP said there were several options, I'm curious to see what he comes up with.
For sure there are several options. I'm just not sure how many there are that force Mexico to pay without the cost being passed on to Americans.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was never under the illusion that Mexico would even pay for the wall.

Yeah a lot of people cheered for him and I think he took that ball and ran with it and is no looking for a way to do it. Like @el_gonz87 said we should wait and see.

Reactions: el_gonz87

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe... Who knows, maybe this will press Enrique Paco Nieto to call Trump and ask for a deal.
Why would he? We're the ones paying for it, this doesn't affect the Mexican side of the sales at all

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually 3/4 of the "wall" is already built. It would seem as though the Trump admin is just going to continue the double fence that's already in place, as opposed to building any new structure

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would he? We're the ones paying for it, this doesn't affect the Mexican side of the sales at all

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually 3/4 of the "wall" is already built. It would seem as though the Trump admin is just going to continue the double fence that's already in place, as opposed to building any new structure

You really don't think 20% tariff won't impact Mexico economy? We are the biggest part of their export market. I think it would do more harm to Mexico than us to be honest IMO.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really don't think 20% tariff won't impact Mexico economy? We are the biggest part of their export market. I think it would do more harm to Mexico than us to be honest IMO.
So they find a new trade partner. I'm sure other countries won't have a huge problem making a deal to get cheaper goods imported, especially since Trump made it a point on the campaign trail that American businesses are moving to Mexico by the dozens because it's cheaper to manufacture there than here

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • Kirbydogs
    Yesterday was history, tomorrow is a mystery, and I love me a good pancake
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Him being in Ohio probably fried it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hot seller in Ohio https://a.co/d/5M1McyB
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    These are selling out quickly, hard to find:
    sprinfieldcookbook-png.458855
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You'd think it would have documents on that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    This damn tower fan is leaking oil lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe its made by Diddy Co.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got arrested flipping the switch to hide all evidence
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So that's why every useless gadget has wifi now
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet lube sales have plumented...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Baby oil and lube are two words only mj would say together
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I had one of those suction cup phone holders on my windshield must've got so hot it melted and fell off pain to clean
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Why clean it if it melted, just buy a new one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because it melted onto the windshield
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Then just buy a new windshield...
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    20 dollars is 20 dollars lol
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Chewy chiwawa Jerky
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anyone here
  • Kirbydogs @ Kirbydogs:
    @Xdqwerty me an hour after you asked
    +1
  • Kirbydogs @ Kirbydogs:
    Anyways, maybe I should consider using Linux. It's gotten to the point where Microsoft is forcing people to upgrade or they can't access Microsoft teams or necessary updates.
  • Kirbydogs @ Kirbydogs:
    (From 10 to 11)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Kirbydogs, I still havent moved from windows 8.1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: