• Start date
  • Views 50,043
  • Replies 595

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think graphics matter, that's why I love my 3DS.

Current handleheld gen: PSVita and 3DS
Graphics: PSVita > 3DS
then your argument is invalid
So the ability of the Vita to produce better graphics automatically makes the 3DS graphics bad? :lol:

Seriously, what's wrong with you people? Did you forget to actually enjoy the games?

Reactions: 2 people

retrodoctor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do people generally think that people who say "graphics don't matter" are quite literally saying that if a game had absolutely horrible graphics, they'd be fine with it? I'm a member of a few other gaming-focused forums and the main thought behind why someone would say that is because the stretch between the game they're comparing to and the game they're referencing isn't that big. I honestly thought that was something everyone knew.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So the ability of the Vita to produce better graphics automatically makes the 3DS graphics bad? :lol:

Seriously, what's wrong with you people? Did you forget to actually enjoy the games?

Yes, because PSVita show what current tecnology can handle in terms of graphics.
It shows how outdated the 3DS graphics are.

3DS graphics are similar to PSP graphics, that was released in 2004

So indeed 3DS graphics are bad for today

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

No, but it's contraditory.
People, we have a contender for the laugh of the day :lol:
Please explain.

Reactions: 1 person

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
I'm really excited for the UK midnight launch of NSMB2:

1/ The midnight launch of NSMB2 on the eShop for the UK, is 7am in the morning for me (I live in Australia) .

2/ And not only do I get the game 1 day in advance, I get $10AUD off the Australian RRP, because I'm using a UK eShop account.

3/ I've also pre-downloaded the game files from Nintendo's CDN, and set up a proxy server so it downloads from my computer. Avoiding the inevitable slow download speeds resulting from everyone downloading it at once.
Downloading the files from Nintendo's CDN? What do you mean? Surely that makes the download quicker, so it would be nice if I could learn your secrets. :-)
Although I doubt this game will be very big....

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Please explain.

To say the truth PSVita shows why 3DS graphics are bad.

PSVita show what current tecnology can handle in terms of graphics.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
any word of how the pricing of this game on the eshop will be?

i just saw the game at 40 Britain pounds and was thinking of changing the region so it will be 40 euros.

does the game cost 40 dolars in the us?

Yes, it will cost 40 dollars in USA,
and probably will be even cheaper in Brazil

Nintendo will follow the suggested retail price, so it is US$ 39.99 I think. The suggested retail price in Brazil is R$ 149.99 so I think that will be the price (but I hope not).

Touch Battle Tank 3D for example, cost $ 4.99 on USA and R$ 8,99 in Brazil, and Brazil and USA share the same region.

Johnny Kung Fu cost R$ 9.99 in Brazil, $ 5,99 in USA, £5.40 on UK and €6 on Europe.

So it will have different prices in every country and change region will eventually bring cost reduction for many people.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please explain.

To say the truth PSVita shows why 3DS graphics are bad.

PSVita show what current tecnology can handle in terms of graphics.

So who sets up today's standard? You? Why isn't the 3DS today's standard and the PSV is just ahead of its time (look at the Game Gear)? So once a system is released and a year later something with (inevitable) better technology comes out, the first is automatically bad and outdated? Are you so focused on specs. According to your logic the PSV would be outdated if MS would release a more powerful console :yay:

Look at RE Revelations. It looks great and it's a 3DS game :P It looks better than many PSV games. And I know what I'm talking about because I own both systems :yaynds: :yaypsp:

Gamefreakjf11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So who sets up today's standard? You? Why isn't the 3DS today's standard and the PSV is just ahead of its time (look at the Game Gear)? So once a system is released and a year later something with (inevitable) better technology comes out, the first is automatically bad and outdated? Are you so focused on specs. According to your logic the PSV would be outdated if MS would release a more powerful console :yay:
Whoever has the most impressive handheld sets the standards, hardware wise. It's not something that someone just decides. Someone with slightly better hardware doesn't make the other "outdated", but the thing is the hardware in the 3ds is many years old. Even if technically the hardware wasn't produced all those years ago, hardware with the same specs was being made in the same fashion, thats why we say it's outdated.

The PSV hardware isn't some sort of alien technology, it's technology we have had and Nintendo could have used. The reason they didn't is because first of all, the 3d implementation is bound to cost a good amount of money and that could jack up the price on the handheld, so one way out would be to lower graphics hardware costs, meaning older hardware. This older hardware, and the graphics limitations that come with it could also possibly mean that the 3d runs smoother since I'm pretty sure the game has to render it twice for the 3d or something, Correct me if I'm wrong.

tl;dr the 3ds hardware wasn't new for it's time so it wasn't JUST a year old, and the reason Nintendo is behind is because they choose 3d over modern graphics. PSV is not ahead, 3DS is behind.

I own a 3DS, not a PSV

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Whoever has the most impressive handheld sets the standards, hardware wise. It's not something that someone just decides. Someone with slightly better hardware doesn't make the other "outdated", but the thing is the hardware in the 3ds is many years old. Even if technically the hardware wasn't produced all those years ago, hardware with the same specs was being made in the same fashion, thats why we say it's outdated.

The PSV hardware isn't some sort of alien technology, it's technology we have had and Nintendo could have used. The reason they didn't is because first of all, the 3d implementation is bound to cost a good amount of money and that could jack up the price on the handheld, so one way out would be to lower graphics hardware costs, meaning older hardware. This older hardware, and the graphics limitations that come with it could also possibly mean that the 3d runs smoother since I'm pretty sure the game has to render it twice for the 3d or something, Correct me if I'm wrong.

tl;dr the 3ds hardware wasn't new for it's time so it wasn't JUST a year old, and the reason Nintendo is behind is because they choose 3d over modern graphics. PSV is not ahead, 3DS is behind.

I own a 3DS, not a PSV

I'm pretty sure they did it to cut costs, the technology is very affordable now, and theres bits of new tech in there here and there which is a little more costly, combined together, every game could like like RE: Revelations.

In short: It's not about how powerful the hardware is necessarily, it's about how well you use it. Revelations looks better than plenty of 360 games...

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

I own a 3DS, not a PSV
Who sets the standard is debatable. Is the TV that costs 10.000$ dollars the standard because it has the best "possible" standard?

You have some good points here. But I have to repeat myself: It's not about specs or old / new hardware, it's about how the games look. Many people make it so as if the 3DS graphics are crap, but I look at games like RE:R, it looks fantastic. In fact the graphics gap between 3DS and PSV is much smaller than the one between DS and PSP, so what's the point of this whole whining? What's the point of this same debate?

The only reason the 3DS is not more powerful is cost. But the 3DS is affordable now and produces great graphics! This is what counts. I don't care if Nintendo archieved this with "old" hardware and I'm sure the millions of people who bought it don't give a mushroom either :P At the end, it's all about the games, at least for me.

Wasn't this the NSMB2 thread...

Edit: Do you really think the technology for colour screens wasn't there when Nintendo developed the Gameboy?

Gamefreakjf11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure they did it to cut costs, the technology is very affordable now, and theres bits of new tech in there here and there which is a little more costly, combined together, every game could like like RE: Revelations.

In short: It's not about how powerful the hardware is necessarily, it's about how well you use it. Revelations looks better than plenty of 360 games...

You're right, I don't care too much about the graphics hardware in the 3DS which is why I own one. The hardware isn't necessarily bad, as RE has shown (it can be pushed to look pretty good) but contrary to what spacejump believes, it's the 3DS that is behind, not the PSV that is ahead.

The problem with developers these days is that a lot of them don't push the hardware like RE. This NSMB2 game just looks like they took the NSMB engine, added a powerup or 2, filled some cookie cutter levels with coins and are going to ship it. With this new handheld they could have added to many more interesting things, expanded the game to be even longer (more levels and longer levels). Just think of all the cool things they could have done with the 3d, the circle pad, the cameras, or the combination of the d-pad and the circle pad. Nintendo has honestly disappointed me, I'm definitely not going to pick this up.

Gamefreakjf11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who sets the standard is debatable. Is the TV that costs 10.000$ dollars the standard because it has the best "possible" standard?

The 3DS's capabilities aren't standard because when technology improves, and somebody uses it, it raises the bar. The PSV isn't the "$10,000 TV" your talking about because it was sold for the exact same price as the 3DS was.

You have some good points here. But I have to repeat myself: It's not about specs or old / new hardware, it's about how the games look. Many people make it so as if the 3DS graphics are crap, but I look at games like RE:R, it looks fantastic. In fact the graphics gap between 3DS and PSV is much smaller than the one between DS and PSP, so what's the point of this whole whining? What's the point of this same debate?

I myself never said the 3DS looks like crap, it looks great. But you said that the PSV is ahead of it's time and the 3DS is standard, however that is just not the case. That was the entire point of my previous post if you have forgotten

The only reason the 3DS is not more powerful is cost. But the 3DS is affordable now and produces great graphics! This is what counts. I don't care if Nintendo archieved this with "old" hardware and I'm sure the millions of people who bought it don't give a mushroom either :P At the end, it's all about the games, at least for me.
Good to know you actually read my post (I was beginning to think you didn't)

Edit: Do you really think the technology for colour screens wasn't there when Nintendo developed the Gameboy?
At a small enough format with a decent price so the gameboy's price (and size) didn't go through the roof? No. That's why Nintendo didn't use it, because the Gameboy would have failed. The difference now is that they wanted 3d in their system instead of improved graphics, so they took the price hit for 3d. They could have left 3d out and came out with a DS that was more or less as powerful as the PSV, but they saw 3D as a better direction, which is debatable. PSV has beat nintendo in the graphics game and set a standard for future handhelds, there no debating that. Am I saying the 3DS has bad graphics quality? NO, I'm simply saying that it's the 3DS that is behind in graphics power, not the PSV that is ahead.

Edit: Please excuse the double post, I forgot to check before posting.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Following that logic, all modern consoles have terrible graphics because PC beats them all by a wide margin.

PS3 and X360 are from 2006 and 2005,
it's normal for them to be outdated now.

PSVita and 3DS were almost simultaneous released,
there is no excuse for 3DS to be a lot inferior in graphics.

3DS was released for $250 and it's production cost is $103.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty62YzGryU4