New Super Luigi U coming to retail in August.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by ComeTurismO, May 18, 2013.

1. ComeTurismO
    OP

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    [​IMG]
    I wouldn't be that excited now, since Nintendo is not doing a good job now. It's practically leaving the toads out and Mario, but its the same game, for $20/30
    :arrow: Source

2. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    I love the green case, but I'll probably just pick it up as a downloadable DLC since it's cheaper but mainly because I'll get it a lot sooner. (I already own NSMB-U)

3. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    this is a day one purchase if I read correctly and I can get it retail. I don't have people coming around often enough to care about multiplayer (which I've never liked the co-op approach they did for this) and since it's cheaper than the first iteration and stand alone software, this seems perfect for me.

Now if they could only remove the a capella outbursts in the music I'd have nothing to complain about with this otherwise great series.

4. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    So paying 30$ if you want the special case, or 20$ for a reskinned version of the game And slight updates to the levels, and maybe a few that seem NEW but are just slightly edited?
    No thanks~
    Neat, But no thanks~

ComeTurismO and Jax like this.
  5. Forstride

Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Pittsburgh, PA
    They're brand new levels. The overworld is the same, but the levels are completely new.

6. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    I think it's sort of a fact that it's for collecting purposes. Besides, I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't expect the retail vers. to sell more than the DLC.

chavosaur likes this.
  7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Wow, they're releasing DLC as a separate retail title?
    Well, I suppose I might get it anyway.

8. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    why delay retail by two months and raise the price?

9. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    production/packing/profit costs

10. MarcusRaven

MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

Feb 5, 2010
    United States
    N. Carolina
    I like to think of this DLC as New Super Mario Bros U - Challenge Mode. Since you get every single level redone, and you only get 100 seconds per level, its really going to appeal to those who find this series getting easier (like myself). Also, I feel releasing at retail is a smart move on Nintendo's part as it allows the game to be played by those who don't have NSMBU and just want to play the challenging version.

Honestly, I commend this approach, because it really opens up to the other niche of players out there that are disappointed in the series' difficulty. (I'm not disappointed, I very much enjoyed NSMBU, but it wasn't difficult.)

Looking forward to this.

chavosaur and clarky like this.
  11. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Had no idea they upped the difficulty and stuff on these :O
    I'm actually interested now, the big reason why I didn't like NSMBU was how blatantly unchallenging it was.

12. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I'm not sold yet. Yes, SNMBU was far, far better than I first thought. But the changed physics? I can't play SMB2 with Luigi. Really...the way he's always sorta hovering and sliding as if on ice makes me bump in pretty much any enemy at first encounter. And with a shorter time limit...will that mean the new levels are shorter as well? :unsure:

80 new levels isn't doing a good job? You must have high standards. I don't think you've played 'another new super mario brothers wii' (a hack for NSMBW), as that makes the game entirely different.

The price raise is probably to make up for the cost of the creation of the physical medium. After all: if they were available at the same time and at the same price, everyone would just go for the standalone version.

13. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Right behind you
    DLC version is an instabuy for me, especially since I have an eshop card coming as a gift. 20$ is very reasonable for the content.

Another reason the standalone is 10$ more is it doesn't require you to have the original game.

14. DSGamer64

DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Nov 9, 2007
    Canada
    A cold cold place
    Should be more challenging, none of the recent Mario side scrollers have been all that difficult so 100 second levels seems like it will raise the bar and make it more challenging for older players.

15. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I can't believe this is a real thing. Then again, I really like when someone or some corp really commits to a bit or idea. The year of Luigi is hilarious and I like it. :bortz:

16. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    If I get it, it will be by DLC. I think...

17. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    I don't know about you, but NSMB U was a lot more difficult than other titles. The level design was just so much more better.

18. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Nintendo could make all the money off of me if they rereleased smb1, 2 (with minor mechanic adjustments) 3, lost levels, and world in the NSMB format. Hell why they only released one for the DS is way beyond me. I'm a huge sucker for these games

19. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Please do not take this as a comment on this title's worth or otherwise - I can fully appreciate the amount of work that must have gone into creating this. Cost vs. content is another topic altogether.

But...

I could have sworn this was supposed to be free at some point? Did I just misunderstand something somewhere along the line? I thought this was supposed to be a give-away for early adopters and as a celebration.

20. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    Doesn't seems that bad to me..

they also added Nabbit as a playable character, that I don't care too much, since he is freakin invincible o.o