Hardware New PSP in the works...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This aint gonna save the PSP cuz the games are still lacking. I hope it does get released though. That should cause a price drop in the old ones and maybe I'll get the original for a bargain.
Does the PSP need saving? I mean its got plenty of 3rd party support and has sold over 20 million worldwide, thats the best selling none Nintendo hand held ever. Not sure if its sold at a loss but its still pretty good considering Nintendo basically owns the hand held market.

The only problem it does have is that the games don't sell that well.

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
There are only three (well two really) that I'd personally get a PSP,

1. The XBMC (media player for Xbox 1) remote app. for PSP is alot better than the DS one (which is no longer even developed I believe).

2. The Near perfect PSX Emulator (thanks to them reverse engineering Sony's).

3. The N64 emulator is progressing nicely (though it runs pretty slow still so maybe not).

IMHO, the games don't appeal to me much, while the graphics are nice the DS's are a whole lot more fun to play.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark_Alex, hackers, and homebrew developers are the best thing to ever happen to the PSP. They are, in reality, keeping the PSP alive.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sony will probably come up with some new anti-firmware hacking measure again I assume.

Very likely.
And until custom firmware comes out for the new psp, there's hardly any reason to get the new psp. It's not like some games will only run on new ones like XBox and XBox 360. If it happens to be like that, then PSP is miserable failure due to lack of number of PSP games, that is not counting all the ported and remake games. It is okay to have ports and remakes, but I shouldn't be like "OMG FF2 remake! Sweet! This is my 4th platform to play FF2 and going to be 17th time beating it!"

I don't think improving hardware will make PSP any better. It needs better games. A few are coming but I don't know if they're so "Killer softs." DS or Wii has games with inventive playing styles, which are truly hardware victory than killer softs, but PSP doesn't really have that but it's more like portable media player with greater gaming ability.

I mean if I had ds phat, then I won't really buy ds lite just because of its new features. For the same reason I wouldn't buy new PSP unless it comes with 666MHz+ CPU so I can run homebrew PC games ports. But then extended battery life drags me a little. I use 2600mAh battery but still it gets charged every other day or so.

kaspal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
i dont think thats gonna happen...
an 8GB MS its currently at about what, 150 bux?... lets say its at 80 bux, to put it to a minimum.

the current PSP its being sold at 180 bux?.

well, do the math, even tho they are cheaper to manufacture now adays, i don tHINK a new model can come with all that feats. and be sold at such lower proce... and if so, SCREW YOU SONY, since i bought a PSP a year ago almost at full pice (Value pack with a game for 220 US Dollar).

once again, i dont think its gonna happen... and if so, not at such a price.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
blah...This may make me get a PSP again :/ Once the figure out how to run homebrew on it, then it will be a must-have. 8GBs of internal flash memory will be extremely useful.

Oh also,
Sony will probably try to come up with some new anti-firmware hacking measure again I assume.
fixed.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dont understand why Sony need to throw more money down the drain. They dont get the point that the PSP is a failing handheld...They should just forget about it.

I'm sorry, this is just ridiculous. Compared to Nintendo, yes it doesn't sell more. But where is it a failure when it's selling 10-12 million units and it's making them money? You need to understand that just because a system isn't in the top spot doesn't mean it's not selling.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
With all the rumours going around, I think it's safe to say that a PSP redesign is on the cards, but in regard to what others have metioned, the statement that the PSP will have 8GB of internal memory DOES NOT reduce the credibility of the article as I see it. Whilst 8GB of flash memory is expensive at the moment ($70 or so) by fall when the new PSP is released costs will have fallen, so a price point of $170 is not out of the question. Also the internal memory could just be refering to an 8GB pro Duo bundled with the machine (à la 1GB bundle). Some may be curious as to why Sony would want to bundle so much memory with the system considering the profit they make from their overpriced proprietary media - If the inclusion of internal memory is true it would suggest that along with the smaller system profile, Sony are trying harder to market the new PSP as an ipod/zune competitor (in addition to playing games). Since the DS has now established itself as the superior gaming device, Sony will most likely now try to push the PSPs multimedia capabilities hoping to persue a larger chunk of the personal music/video player market.

*Deep breath*

...Or something like that.

smile.gif

Yeah, i pretty much agree. Although i feel that its highly unlikely even by the time of its release that it will include that much internal memory.

Oh and good points to the other guys discussing the big profits sony must be making on their memory cards
dry.gif

Sony will probably come up with some new anti-firmware hacking measure again I assume.

Yes it seems very likely. If so it won't be much worth buying untill it gets hacked.

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I figured this was probably just a rumor, but if Sony ever comes out with a new PSP
with stylus control. I’m kissing my DS goodbye! If the PSP had a touch screen & with
it’s graphics power, it would be like a PC in your hands. Not to mention to finely be able
to have decent control over there FPS & RTS games.

nileyg

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I figured this was probably just a rumor, but if Sony ever comes out with a new PSP
with stylus control. I’m kissing my DS goodbye! If the PSP had a touch screen & with
it’s graphics power, it would be like a PC in your hands. Not to mention to finely be able
to have decent control over there FPS & RTS games.
Me too *hides*
ph34r.gif

KMC

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pspfanboy.com
XP
Country
United States
Like everyone else says i don't really care what they do to the PSP, but if no one can hack it then it's gonna be crap. Custom FW is what keeps the PSP alive. Once it's announced for a release date i'll keep my PSP for a little after release to see if it's hacked. Otherwise no upgrade.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think