Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Action based combat!? Oh Square, you sultry temptress... ;) <3<3<3<3

I did hold just the tiniest bit of hope that they'd remove turn-based combat from this remake, but I'm genuinely quite surprised they were smart enough and ambitious enough to make it happen.

Unfortunately for me, this is the final gigantic nail in the coffin that condemns my wallet to go naked and cold when I purchase a PS4. I'm sorry, livelihood, I am, but you know what they say: you have to break a few eggs to OH FUCK, JUST GIVE ME THIS GAME NOW!!!!

After the experience I had with Crisis Core, I can't describe how optimistic I am right now. ^_^

EDIT: Just noticed it said "Play it FIRST on PS4." Does that mean a PC port is planned?

Last edited by Meteor7,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just out of curiosity, did no one here like bravely default? I suppose there's no need for strategy anymore in final fantasy games, but I tend to miss it.

Reactions: vayanui8

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just out of curiosity, did no one here like bravely default? I suppose there's no need for strategy anymore in final fantasy games, but I tend to miss it.

Turn Based combat is almost never done well. Some series nail it, like Bravely Default or pretty much everything Atlus touches, but the Final Fantasy series definitely doesn't.
But in most cases, action combat is just better. Turn Based is a pretty archaic idea.

Reactions: Meteor7

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turn Based combat is almost never done well. Some series nail it, like Bravely Default or pretty much everything Atlus touches, but the Final Fantasy series definitely doesn't.
But in most cases, action combat is just better. Turn Based is a pretty archaic idea.
You say archaic, I say fun. Would you prefer something more in the Real Time Strategy area?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, I loved Final Fantasy 5, really.
It is great on portables.

PS: I mean really, I love turn based games on portables, but for some reason they don't seem so appealing to me on consoles.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I loved Final Fantasy 5, really.
It is great on portables.

PS: I mean really, I love turn based games on portables, but for some reason they don't seem so appealing to me on consoles.

I understand what you mean. You want big action games (like real-time) on the big screen, but laid-back games (such as turn-based) on a portable.

Mikesahhh

Mikes
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
With the upcoming Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom hearts 3 being an action RPG,
I was hoping Square Enix would siwtch it up for FFVVII Remaster and keep it old school Turn based goodness...... nope :(
Oh well, Still gonna Get/Play/Love this regardless

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You say archaic, I say fun. Would you prefer something more in the Real Time Strategy area?

It's archaic. It was invented because of the limitations at the time. It stuck as an iconic battle system but there's no denying there's only so much you can do with it.
Just because it's archaic doesn't mean I dislike it though. One of my favorite series is the Devil Survivor series, and I love all of Atlus' games. Fire Emblem too, though I guess it's a bit different.
A fleshed out action system will always trump turn based though. There's just so much more you can put into it.

Real time strategy is alright, i guess. Not my thing.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A fleshed out action system will always trump turn based though. There's just so much more you can put into it.

I'll agree it will always trump it in the variety of options available. Just as an action system will always trump a card based battle system in the same way, and for the same reasons.

I think the most important bit for me is that the original was such a system, but they feel the way to modernize it is to put the game in a different genre altogether. I'm guessing they're hoping it'll help bring us archaic people into the fold :P

I'm not sure if I should think of this game as a remake or a reimagining.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
it likely will.

i was wondering myself if i was the only one who caught the part where the trailer said "play it first on ps4" meaning they do have plans on other releases but . . . i wounder if the weaker wiiu will see one . . . square does love nintendo and cloud is the latest announced smash char . . . am i crazy here
Doubt it. NX might. But we dont even know what that is.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It looks great.. but it feels just to strange. And the battle system is like Crisis Core it seems.

Crisis Core. :mellow:

I think I know now.. the music bothers me. Everything will sound like a orchestral makeover. Even the fighting music lures me to sleep.

Last edited by Bimmel,

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Guys guys guys...if you want advent children models. But still turn based. Play the PC version using Tifa's bootleg mods. Plus you can get rid of that shitty midi music. Its a the same turn based combat you remember but updates graphic models. There won't be the new revised "remake scenes" obviously but there you go. Plus all those non purist's can still have Aerris tag along and keep her epic "seal evil" spell.

The only thing this trailer makes me want to do is revive my urge to play FFVII and actually finish it this time instead of waiting for the remake. But do I want to spoil my dinner and go for the modded PSX and burned CD route, converted PSX ISO for PSP or get the Steam version.

Ahhhhhhhh decisions decisions.

Tape and tissue mod a ps2 slim and get Tony hawk pro skater 2 to swap. No mod chip required and perfect emulation for FFVII

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,
Reactions: MajinCubyan

MajinCubyan

The Funky Super Saiyan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how I feel about this. I really enjoyed FF VII (Though it doesn't hold a candle to VI and VIII in my eyes) my first handful of playthroughs, but I love turn based RPGs. But, ARPGs aren't bad easier, I loved Crisis Core. Just wasn't expecting that.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
We all knew they'd change it. Turn based RPGs are archaic and you can't really sell a AAA turn based RPG nowadays.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol