D

Deleted User

By the time I played FF7 a few years ago it had aged terribly. Not a fun game at all. This looks like a huge improvement and this trailer pursuades me to want to buy a game I preivously wasn't interested in. The decision revamp the battle system seems like it will be pretty controversial, personally I prefer the new one.

Last edited by ,

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It seems they've based the battle system on FFXV's, I don't really mind that. I just hope it comes for PC after a while.

However, not wanting to rain on the parade, but the game looks so far like another round of FFXIII Linear Corridor Syndrome.

Reactions: osaka35

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It looks great, and the battles seems more dynamic. A lot like Crisis core (or kingdom heart?) or FF15 yes.
the turn base battles and random battle system was needed when console wasn't powerful enough to manage characters in real time.
I think I'm fine with this new system, though I don't know how multiple characters will be managed. probably AI? not controlling all characters will feel different.

They already have english voice over?
Maybe they won't do a japan release first this time and it means they already started working on the dub so they are near release.
I'm not fan of the english voices in games, I prefer Japanese, but maybe we will have the choice.

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
but they already remade all the original characters in HD and 3D in advent children movie. i don't understand why they're changing them.

Because Advent Children model are movie rendering grade. Full of polygon for maximum quality appearance. You cannot use them in a game where efficiency polygon is the key.

I've done a lot of 3D modeling and I can assure you it's way faster to restart the whole thing. You can always use the old model to inspire you for the new one. But since the game is a few years before, I can also understand why they'll change them a little too.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems they've based the battle system on FFXV's, I don't really mind that. I just hope it comes for PC after a while.

However, not wanting to rain on the parade, but the game looks so far like another round of FFXIII Linear Corridor Syndrome.
it likely will.

i was wondering myself if i was the only one who caught the part where the trailer said "play it first on ps4" meaning they do have plans on other releases but . . . i wounder if the weaker wiiu will see one . . . square does love nintendo and cloud is the latest announced smash char . . . am i crazy here

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looks fantastic, and that's coming from someone who reeeeally isn't much into the main final fantasy games. I enjoy the spinoffs, but yeah.

Combat looks much better. I hope the materia system remains intact, because that was the most interesting part of FF7. I think Cloud will be a more bearable character fully fleshed out like this as well.

People who like FF7 and DON'T think this looks good are fucked in the head and wearing about 13 pairs of rose tinted glasses. Get with the times people, THIS is what a proper remake looks like.

G25900

Trophies
XP
Country
The only thing this trailer makes me want to do is revive my urge to play FFVII and actually finish it this time instead of waiting for the remake. But do I want to spoil my dinner and go for the modded PSX and burned CD route, converted PSX ISO for PSP or get the Steam version.

Ahhhhhhhh decisions decisions.

It depends what kind of experience you want, the Steam version fixed the magic defense bug, Magic defense is supposed to be the magic defense of your armor + spirit, in all versions but the Steam version it only counts the spirit stat, which means magic always does way more damage than originally intended.

So you do want the slightly harder original experience a lot of people had, or the easier originally intended version?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing this trailer makes me want to do is revive my urge to play FFVII and actually finish it this time instead of waiting for the remake. But do I want to spoil my dinner and go for the modded PSX and burned CD route, converted PSX ISO for PSP or get the Steam version.

Ahhhhhhhh decisions decisions.
PC version, steam included, has some really amazing mods that may make it a lot more enjoyable for you.

D

Dork

People who like FF7 and DON'T think this looks good are fucked in the head and wearing about 13 pairs of rose tinted glasses. Get with the times people, THIS is what a proper remake looks like.

You sound like an amazing individual.

Game looks cool, I'm surprised they aren't going with turn-based combat. Looks like Crisis Core.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Well that completely blew my balls off. But then was pretty much a foregone conclusion given that I'm presently wearing my Tifa's Seventh Heaven t-shirt, Soldier First Class hoodie and dogtag, own an actual Buster Sword and technically speaking actually hold the legit rank of Soldier First Class (I was in the cadets as a kid, that was my rank, you have to be 'sworn in' to the service so it counts). Yeah, I was always gonna be hyped about this one. Day one purchase, no questions asked, calling the boss to get two weeks off, won't even lie and say I'm sick. I'll tell him straight that I'm too busy playing this to death.

To those complaining that the game is looking 'linear' and 'too hack and slash', take a deep breath and actually think critically about the original game. For pretty much the entire first disc you're on a linear path to follow Sephiroth, there's little deviation or sidequesting until you get the Highwind in disc 2, and until you start gaining more Limits, summons and materia, your battle tactics were always pretty limited in the grand scheme of things. Attack with whatever will hurt the most, cast healing magic when HP is low, use Limits when available. The game was hardly a tactical masterstroke to begin with. It was never the gameplay that held FF7 together, it was purfunctory at best. Flashy, stylish, a big leap forward in visuals from FF6, but nothing thought provoking or especially deep. Be honest, for that first disc you went on the linear path just using regular physical attacks or whatever elemental magic the enemy was weak to, all of which can be easily replicated in this new style, only better. It only opened up in the late game, which we've seen nothing of in the remake yet. All I'm saying is don't go hating this apparent 'repetition' in the combat when it's ALWAYS been like that. Your deeply held beliefs that things being turn based made them any more deep or interesting is a false memory. Get yourself checked for mako poisoning.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BOOOOOO
Its a Crisis Core remake.
Not the Original FF7, which happen to be the best one of them all for me. I didnt care to much for 8 9 i dont remeber 10 was good but story didnt pull me in as much.
11 -12 i didnt play and 13 lost me, couldnt get into it.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I feel like this is still a ways off. Everything in that trailer is from the opening of the game. Hopefully they have more than just that part done so far.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What the fuck did I just watch? Looks lovely, but it's not FF7!
Actually it looks like a great remake, an adaptation of the game to more modern gameplay.
This is what makes a remake worth being played, the game looks and plays different, it is a whole new game, a remake, not a lazy remaster.
I like this, I loved FF7 in its days, and I like they changed it so much for the remake.
This is a exclusive console selling game for me.

BOOOOOO
Its a Crisis Core remake.
Not the Original FF7, which happen to be the best one of them all for me. I didnt care to much for 8 9 i dont remeber 10 was good but story didnt pull me in as much.
11 -12 i didnt play and 13 lost me, couldnt get into it.
Meh, FF7 was good, but FF5 and FF6 were best IMHO.
FF7 is somewhat overhyped. Not a bad game, I love it, but it is overhyped.
Also FF8 is the begin of the fall, FF9 is a nice exception, and FF10 is indigestible (all IMHO).

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually it looks like a great remake, an adaptation of the game to more modern gameplay.
This is what makes a remake worth being played, the game looks and plays different, it is a whole new game, a remake, not a lazy remaster.
I kind of agree... but my agreement is more in terms of film remakes than game remakes - they're 'redesigned' for a modern audience, yet almost always are inferior to the original (I can't think of any film remake that has been as good as the film it remade - including some that were pretty poor to start with)... how that relates to this as a game has me concerned - if they're prepared to change the game mechanics so radically, what's to stop them bastardizing the story too?

Regardless, I stand by my original statement - it looks lovely.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I kind of agree... but my agreement is more in terms of film remakes than game remakes - they're 'redesigned' for a modern audience, yet almost always are inferior to the original (I can't think of any film remake that has been as good as the film it remade - including some that were pretty poor to start with)... how that relates to this as a game has me concerned - if they're prepared to change the game mechanics so radically, what's to stop them bastardizing the story too?

Regardless, I stand by my original statement - it looks lovely.

I'll give you that a lot of film remakes are total arse gravy on toast, but it is possible for a reimagining to surpass the original. The new Karate Kid movie is arguably better than the original with a better focus on the philosophy and balance in martial arts as well as the coming of age drama stuff. Neither is without fault and a lot of people will immediately discount it on the grounds that it's not the one they grew up with, but keep an open mind.

Also, even if this remake does turn out to be total garbage, which I very seriously doubt since it seems to be on the right track so far, it doesn't alter the original in any way. It's like the Star Wars re-releases. Don't like how Greedo shoots first? Watch the other version, problem solved.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Really not sure how i feel about the change to the combat because i really hated Crisis Core's style of combat. HOWEVER, this looks more like how FF15 is doing it. I think the game looks awesome tho, graphics are great, i like the effects on the special moves an the sparks. Its probably not going to look like that in game tho because we all know they lower graphics by the time its actually out but i still think it will look great.

Need a demo to test out the combat tho to be sure. Im slightly hyped but im not gonna get ahead of myself till i sample it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E