Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/12/not-ju...s-stink-too-sne

This despite Sony debuting a brand new version, the PSP 3000, in late October. In its first full month on sale and heading into the holidays, gamers couldn't care less.

What's wrong? The problems with the PSP are surprisingly similar to the problems with the PS3. It's overpriced ($170 to $130 for the DS Lite), has superior graphics no one cares about, and a mediocre game library. And because PSP console sales stink, game publishers are unlikely to devote resources to making more quality PSP titles.

Another problem: Apple (AAPL) has managed to get big game developers like Sega and Electronic Arts (ERTS) to build surprisingly good games for its iPhone and iPod touch, of which Apple sells millions. Many iPhone owners now have no reason to buy a PSP, especially for casual gaming.

Sony may be ready to cut its losses. British gaming site MCV reports no successor to the PSP is in the works.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you try reading a more reputable site like qj or pspfanboy for your info?

The problem is NOT the PSP hardware sales, those are always good, the problem is the lack of decent software titles. When developing, the PSP is on the bottom of the list that devs want to dev games for.

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't buy the whole sinking ship thing. Yeah PSP is struggling but I think that it still has a lot of potential if only Sony can convince people to develop for it. It really is a shame if there is no successor in the works for the PSP as without one Nintendo could get really lazy really quickly.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
Why don't you try reading a more reputable site like qj or pspfanboy for your info?
the site smells and looks like a giant fanboy site looking for attention
but really ive never heard of this site before
wacko.gif

I didn't see it provide any other links to articles other then its own articles that ranted more problems...
well except for MCV but again just stated no PSP2 in the works, nothing else

as suggested, find a better site then is actually known and not something found on page 50 of google search for PSP news

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SPH that confirms nothing. They always have a small list this time of year.

Fact is the article is far more crap than not. My brother is a producer for a huge 3rd party of the industry and he knows a bit on the PSP scenario. Sony got fat and lazy on it like PS3 saying the 'PS' name would sell it and didn't push any development. As a result late 07 up to now we have had little come at all of any big merit. Sony saw they screwed it and awhile back in this year started re-courting developers to do some great new efforts and some more shoveled up ports and what not. Much like the Wii drought of now due to narrow sighted 3rd parties and NOA shoveling out too much too fast both the systems will get a 3rd party turn around in 2009.

Seriously be happy there isn't a PSP2 as there's lots of room to grow still on PSP as far as games go which will allow for more fun things and less stupid recurring hardware purchases.

Kurazz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
beedog19 said:
I don't buy the whole sinking ship thing. Yeah PSP is struggling but I think that it still has a lot of potential if only Sony can convince people to develop for it. It really is a shame if there is no successor in the works for the PSP as without one Nintendo could get really lazy really quickly.

I don't know about that. Ever since Nintendo released their first handheld, they haven't gotten lazy once. Every single new system has been a worthy one (Gameboy -> Color -> Advanced -> DS). Sure, they release a ton of versions of each one, but as far as I'm concerned, everyone likes that. To add to this, all of this innovation has occurred during 15 years of non-competition (1989-2004).

Maybe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you want a PSP2?? You already have 3 PSP "1's". And how much did each one improve from the last? Not much, in my opinion. But w/e I guess all companies do it..Apple, Microsoft, w/e.. Just don't know why you would want another one.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SPH take your sinking ship and shove it.

That's only the stuff announced. There's a larger pool of stuff in the making both being brought from Japan that didn't hit here this year, and then a pile of just stuff that hasn't been announced. I'm being told about it as I write this by my brother who is a game producer for THQ/Volition who works with Sony and MS primarily on titles. I think he'd be a better authority than what little Gamestop gets told.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SPH73 said:
Vampire Hunter D said:
SPH that confirms nothing. They always have a small list this time of year.

Bullshit.

http://www.ebgames.com/browse/search.aspx?...A|0&N=5+136

PSP = 11 games

http://www.ebgames.com/browse/search.aspx?...A|0&N=5+141

PS3 = 80+ Games

http://www.ebgames.com/browse/search.aspx?...A|0&N=5+133

Xbox 360 = 80+ Games

Again, sinking ship confirmed.
why are you using ebgames as a source?
find a site like gamefaqs that has games listed for all regions for a certain system
they are always on top of it
yaypsp.gif

Gagarin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PSP is dying. Even with new Square Enix games (Kingdom Hearts, FF) it won't last long.
Do you remember Ready at Dawn? Bexouse of Piracy!

monopoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also would like to point out that DS has a larger list of shovelware.

Not that all DS games are shovelware but crap I can list about 25 games coming out for the DS in a few months that no real gamer would ever play.

PSP has good games coming out and if you look at quality titles only it has a decent list coming. Most don't have exact release date info is the problem.

morcar

Trophies
Website
www.tredegarforum.com
XP
Country
Dark said:
Next year seems like a better year for the psp. This year really sucked.

Everyone says that every year about the PSP.

The PSP is a great console but with hardly no one making any good games its on par as being a homebrew console just like the Pandora.

My own opinion is that the reason the NDS has loads of games is that very little effort needs to be put in to making the games and it shows with about 95% of the games.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
PSP is anything but a sinking ship. If you look at hardware sales they're actually doing great. The software front is failing hard howver and as has been described earlier in this topic, it was because sony got lazy and didn't push any developement. The truth of the matter is that the PSP is a wonderful piece of hardware with massive amounts of potential but its just in the wrong hands.

The advertising segment of the PSP is almost as bad as the NGC back in the day and as a result most people are absolutely clueless about redesigns and releases. I've only heard the PSP 3k mentioned on gaming sites. How are "casual gamers" supposed to know about it?

@morcar: Thats not really point. Even though some (Imagine, Animalz) DS games might need less effort to produce than a psp game like say God of War, nintendo caters to its target audience. These games are what the people want and thats why they buy it, which leads to said "shovelware" selling the largest amount of consoles.Everyone loves a non-intensive game which they can pick up and play. I haven't seen any similar move from sony and thats why they might be suffering.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet